Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuanFran

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Sharing in App Store

Anyone noticed that the 'share' button on the App Store (the small rectangle with arrow at top right) has been damn inconsistent in the betas? This is whilst on an apps page btw.

It has worked once I think. Can someone check it out for me?

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Judging by the incredibly small size of the OTA update, probably not a single new feature. God, did Apple take 2 weeks just to roll out bug fixes....?:(

Quoting LagunaSol: "Apple really needs to step on the accelerator in iOS development."

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Judging by the incredibly small size of the OTA update, probably not a single new feature. God, did Apple take 2 weeks just to roll out bug fixes....?:(

Quoting LagunaSol: "Apple really needs to step on the accelerator in iOS development."

This would be ok if we actually got something valuable in this update, but alas...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
So basically 6.1 is nothing but a bug fixes, for the most part. Dang. I thought they would at least include 2 new awesome features. iOS 6 is just a mess...I see now why they fired him. Heck, even Android 4.1/4.2 was better than Apple's .x releases, even though 4.2 had a lot of bugs.

toshibauser

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
New York
iOS 6.1 supports socket 5 proxy?

I am using iOS 6.01 which only supports http proxy. As many of you know, there are many firewall issues in China that certain websites and server cannot be accessed from US. With http proxy, I could view the websites, but not certain server. I am wondering if iOS 6.1 supports socket proxy, and i am really hoping this is the a new feature that come with the new coming iOS 6.1.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Found the release notes, looks sparse....

Release Notes

iOS SDK Release Notes for iOS 6.1 beta 4
Introduction

iOS SDK 6.1 provides support for developing iOS apps, and it includes the complete set of Xcode tools, compilers, and frameworks for creating apps for iOS and OS X. These tools include the Xcode IDE and the Instruments analysis tool, among many others.

With this software you can develop apps for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 6.1. You can also test your apps using the included iOS Simulator, which supports iOS 6.1. iOS SDK 6.1 requires a Mac computer running OS X v10.7.4 (Lion) or later.

This version of iOS is intended for installation only on devices registered with Apple’s Developer Program. Attempting to install this version of iOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state.

For more information and additional support resources, visit http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/.
Bug Reporting

To report any bugs not mentioned in the “Notes and Known Issues” section, please use the Apple Bug Reporter on the Apple Developer website (http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/). Additionally, you may discuss these issues and iOS SDK 6.1 in the Apple Developer Forums: http://devforums.apple.com. You can get more information about iCloud for Developers at http://developer.apple.com/icloud.
Notes and Known Issues

The following issues relate to using iOS SDK 6.1 beta 4 to develop code.
Apple TV
Notes

None.
Known Issues

Fixed: TVs and receivers that support only IT video format no longer allow RGB High to be selected in Settings > Audio & Video > HDMI Output. If such a TV or receiver was set to RGB High before this update, another value will be used instead.
Core Image
Notes

In iOS 6.0 and later, Core Image introduced new filters to the set provided in iOS 5. The complete set of filters can be found in Core Image Filter Reference.
In iOS 6.0 and later, Core Image allows for the creation of CIImage objects that reference OpenGL texture objects via the imageWithTexture:size:flipped:colorSpace: method.

Known Issues

None.
Language Support: Thai
Notes

iOS 6.0 introduced a five-row Thai keyboard and removed the previous four-row keyboard. In iOS 6.1, both the five-row and the four-row Thai keyboards are available.
Known Issues

None.
Mail
Notes

None.
Known Issues

Fixed: In iOS 6.0, push email does not work consistently with Exchange clients. This was usually related to moving between Wi-Fi and cellular networks.
Maps
Notes

In iOS 6.1, the Map Kit framework introduces the MKLocalSearch, MKLocalSearchRequest, and MKLocalSearchResponse classes. Apps can use these classes to perform map-based searches for addresses and points of interest. The results are then delivered to the app as an array of map item objects. For information about these new classes, see Map Kit Framework Reference.
Known Issues

Search results from these APIs may not be available in all areas or countries, including Russia and Japan.
Passbook
Notes

As of iOS 6.1, the relevance behavior has changed for boarding passes that include both a relevant date and a relevant location. The date must match for these passes to be relevant. If both the date and location match, they are relevant for a longer window of time. You are encouraged to provide both pieces of information when they make sense for your passes.
Known Issues

None.
Settings
Notes

In iOS 6.1, a new Reset Advertising Identifier button has been added to Advertising Settings. This button resets the Advertising Identifier so that future requests will return a different value.
Known Issues

None.
Simulator
Notes

None.
Known Issues

Fixed: This release does not support testing In-App Purchase in iOS Simulator. For apps that use this feature, please test on a device.
Social
Notes

Weibo shows up in the Settings app only if a Chinese keyboard is enabled.

When using the iOS 6.1 SDK on OS X v10.8 (Mountain Lion), if you use the iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.1 “Legacy SDK” in iOS Simulator, you will not be able to sign in to Twitter via the Settings pane and Twitter.framework will not work correctly. If you need to test Twitter features, you will need to choose either the iOS 6.1 or iOS 6.0 Simulator run destination or test with iOS 5.x on a device. These problems do not occur when running Simulator on OS X v10.7 (Lion).

Known Issues

None.
UIKit
Notes

NSString drawing additions and UILabel do not support NSTextAlignmentJustified or NSTextAlignmentNatural text alignments. Instead, use NSAttributedString drawing additions, which do support text alignments.
In iOS 6.0, when an app with a valid state restoration archive is starting up, a snapshot of the app is displayed instead of the default.png. In iOS 6.1, the snapshot is not displayed in this situation, because there are cases where the snapshot would not be appropriate. Instead, the default.png image is always displayed.

Known Issues

None.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
So basically 6.1 is nothing but a bug fixes, for the most part. Dang. I thought they would at least include 2 new awesome features. iOS 6 is just a mess...I see now why they fired him. Heck, even Android 4.1/4.2 was better than Apple's .x releases, even though 4.2 had a lot of bugs.

Buy an Andriod for yourself man, why would Apple upgrade an os that is already 'perfect' enough by itself? Of course I want some new awesome feature's too, but could you call 2 new features you really want to see in iOS? No I cannot, the only thing I still want is an improved Siri and a better Maps application; But at which point can Apple still revolutionize? I really don't know.

The iPhone has already tons of apps optimized for the retina screen, a great camera, a nice CPU / GPU and a perfect sleek body. The OS has all the feature's I want, the only thing they can do is improving the things they've already done. Don't you?

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
One thing I noticed with Engadgets website is that it adds it as a self contained app albeit not full screen, rather than a Safari bookmark. Was this in before?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Buy an Andriod for yourself man, why would Apple upgrade an os that is already 'perfect' enough by itself? Of course I want some new awesome feature's too, but could you call 2 new features you really want to see in iOS? No I cannot, the only thing I still want is an improved Siri and a better Maps application; But at which point can Apple still revolutionize? I really don't know.

The iPhone has already tons of apps optimized for the retina screen, a great camera, a nice CPU / GPU and a perfect sleek body. The OS has all the feature's I want, the only thing they can do is improving the things they've already done. Don't you?

No, I'm fine with not having an Android. I still prefer iOS...I've had it since 2007. But, I still like the route Android is going. I think I'm tired of iOS due it not changing much since the first iPhone.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Anyone noticed that the 'share' button on the App Store (the small rectangle with arrow at top right) has been damn inconsistent in the betas? This is whilst on an apps page btw.

It has worked once I think. Can someone check it out for me?

It's inconsistent in 6.0.1 for me...

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I'm finding Beta 4 to be much smoother than beta 3 was on my iPhone 4. Animations are more fluid and there is no noticeable lag like I was experiencing with the previous beta.

----------

It's inconsistent in 6.0.1 for me...

Seems fine on Beta 4. Tried a few apps and the share sheet appears. I think sometimes you have to wait for the app page to fully load before pressing it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm finding Beta 4 to be much smoother than beta 3 was on my iPhone 4. Animations are more fluid and there is no noticeable lag like I was experiencing with the previous beta.

That's only because it has been bug fixes for the past 2 betas and ZERO new features. If there's still lag, something is very wrong.

What's the point of updating to iOS 6.1 if there's nothing? It's as good as staying on 6.0.1, and I don't have to waste storage space to accommodate the new update.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
That's only because it has been bug fixes for the past 2 betas and ZERO new features. If there's still lag, something is very wrong.

What's the point of updating to iOS 6.1 if there's nothing? It's as good as staying on 6.0.1, and I don't have to waste storage space to accommodate the new update.

Being able to delete songs when using iTunes Match is a big one for me.

hilan341

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
:cool:This update is much useful and bring better features. But I am not sure the phone can not turn off is due to the new version or not:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.