Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
So I just bought an iPhone 5 this morning from Best Buy.
I set it up as a new iPhone and one of the first things I did was go to the keyboard to enable the emjoi keyboard.
That's when I noticed this... (picture)

I saw the guy unwrap the box, which I know means nothing. Anyone could re shrink wrap it...
I also noticed a few minutes after he opened it that it was connected to a wifi network. I even asked him how it was already connected and he said that he did it but I don't know..

I guess what I'm asking is, did someone else have this phone for a little while? There was NO other data whatsoever on it except for that keyboard shortcut. No visible signs of usage.. The phone is in perfect shape.

The kid was younger and we were kinda joking around about some stuff so I guess it is possible he could of put it on there too, but why!?
I don't know.. Just kinda weird.. I don't like thinking someone else had my phone before me.

Thoughts? Opinions? Should I return it? Is it not a big deal?

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• MR pic.jpg
    MR pic.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 132

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
You could use this to support your case for a discount from BestBuy. Tell them you paid for a new phone and got an open box item. Worth a shot.

Maybe those Foxconn guys have a sense of humor. :D

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
You could use this to support your case for a discount from BestBuy. Tell them you paid for a new phone and got an open box item. Worth a shot.

I guess it isn't that big of a deal.. Just makes me feel like I bought a used phone.. :(

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

If it was the Foxconn guys, they would have wrote, "Death to Tim Cook"!

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Update.....

I think you might be right..
I returned the phone last night and got a new one, same best buy.
The guy let me open the box, set the phone up, he didn't touch it at all.
I get it activated, go directly to the settings and guess what!? There is the same exact keyboard shortcut "shut the fu*k up" already in there!

I highly highly doubt I bought two different phones that someone returned that just happened to put that same exact keyboard shortcut in each phone.
I'd say it has to be someone at Foxconn or something that did it.

The crazy thing was, the best buy employee couldn't have cared less. It was no big deal to him. He didn't wanna talk to a manager or anything. Just kinda had the attitude of "I don't know what to tell you"... I'm not a parent but if I bought a iPhone or iPod for my children and it had that on there I wouldn't be too happy..

The whole thing was just weird... Whatever tho. I got a nice new shiny iPhone 5. I'm happy.

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
Any chance you had that shortcut on a previous phone with iCloud? I noticed shortcuts carried over. I didn't have to re-enter them. Just a thought.

NewToMac11

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
I never added any shortcuts, but just checked mine and i have the on my way one in there already. but not the ****

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous! Is there damage to the phone? Scratches, dents dings ? Is the software stopping you from using the device on a daily bases? Last one, was any if your accessories used damaged etc. if your answer is no then why the big deal about a shortcut. Delete the shortcut and move on with your life. If your phone happened to have a huge dent or ding or scratch on it, or your battery life was being affected I would understand but seeing as it is a simple removal of the shortcut would take care if your issue then what is the big deal?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
My iPhone4 does not have the "ESS TEE EFF YOU" option.

It only has the "OMW" shortcut.

I should demand a new phone! :lol:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous! Is there damage to the phone? Scratches, dents dings ? Is the software stopping you from using the device on a daily bases? Last one, was any if your accessories used damaged etc. if your answer is no then why the big deal about a shortcut. Delete the shortcut and move on with your life. If your phone happened to have a huge dent or ding or scratch on it, or your battery life was being affected I would understand but seeing as it is a simple removal of the shortcut would take care if your issue then what is the big deal?

This.

The reason the associate couldn't have cared less was because he was a normal, rational person, probably one who realized that if you were unable to even TELL if it had been "used" that there was absolutely no reason to involve anyone else and waste their time too...

Sheesh. I would understand if there was some issue or obvious signs of usage... but a text shortcut? Really?

Good for the employee! I wouldn't have offered a new one so easily, but that's why I went into law...

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Even if you "set up as a new phone" as soon as you sign in to iCloud, your previous keyboard shortcuts will sync over to the new device. My guess is someone or yourself had that as a keyboard shortcut on another iOS device and you set up using an account with that as a shortcut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.