Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
Now that the new 27in are in the wild, I've been waiting anxiously for the Geekbench scores from normal users. Looks like a fully maxed out iMac 27" with 32GB RAM, etc. comes in at almost 18,000 on the charts, which is on par with my current '09 MacPro 2.93Ghz with 26GB RAM.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geek...platform:"Mac+OS+X"+architecture:x86+bits:64+

I wonder how a new iMac would stack up in real world performance. I'm primarily involved in video/graphics so most of my time I'm editing, rendering, working in Photoshop, etc. The only real time I ever notice a huge speed increase in my current MP as opposed to the older one I had (2006) was when I hit "render" in FCPX. I have Premiere but don't use it much. The render speed of FCPX, especially when working with 1080p Prores information is lightning fast. I wonder how the iMac would stack up with its updated GPU, something FCPX would take full advantage of. I currently have a 5870 1GB in this MP, and it's nice but it's also older. The iMac also has 4 less cores then my MP, which counts for something but not if its 4 cores are on par with my 8. Multitasking would come into play at that point with 8 cores vs 4, but I rarely have multiple video/editing applications open at once.

What it ultimately comes down to here is CPU/GPU, and the availability of USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt's speed is insane, but when editing/crunching/rendering 1080p footage, its speed is only going to help so much. TB can only help with render speeds if the speed at which it's getting the info to my editor can be matched by my GPU/CPU's ability to process it and rewrite it to my HD, otherwise it'll just bottleneck.

Any thoughts? I wish a more modest SSD option was available for BTO iMac's, since opening the machine to replace myself looks super risky. I wonder how the new iMac would match up overall to the current machine or whether or not they'd be basically the same.

Still...good to see the scores so high! :)

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Now that the new 27in are in the wild, I've been waiting anxiously for the Geekbench scores from normal users. Looks like a fully maxed out iMac 27" with 32GB RAM, etc. comes in at almost 18,000 on the charts, which is on par with my current '09 MacPro 2.93Ghz with 26GB RAM.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geek...platform:"Mac+OS+X"+architecture:x86+bits:64+

I wonder how a new iMac would stack up in real world performance. I'm primarily involved in video/graphics so most of my time I'm editing, rendering, working in Photoshop, etc. The only real time I ever notice a huge speed increase in my current MP as opposed to the older one I had (2006) was when I hit "render" in FCPX. I have Premiere but don't use it much. The render speed of FCPX, especially when working with 1080p Prores information is lightning fast. I wonder how the iMac would stack up with its updated GPU, something FCPX would take full advantage of. I currently have a 5870 1GB in this MP, and it's nice but it's also older. The iMac also has 4 less cores then my MP, which counts for something but not if its 4 cores are on par with my 8. Multitasking would come into play at that point with 8 cores vs 4, but I rarely have multiple video/editing applications open at once.

What it ultimately comes down to here is CPU/GPU, and the availability of USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt's speed is insane, but when editing/crunching/rendering 1080p footage, its speed is only going to help so much. TB can only help with render speeds if the speed at which it's getting the info to my editor can be matched by my GPU/CPU's ability to process it and rewrite it to my HD, otherwise it'll just bottleneck.

Any thoughts? I wish a more modest SSD option was available for BTO iMac's, since opening the machine to replace myself looks super risky. I wonder how the new iMac would match up overall to the current machine or whether or not they'd be basically the same.

Still...good to see the scores so high! :)

I'm not seeing any real iMacs on this up there in the 18k range? I'm seeing OC'd i7-2600ks and what not (aka hackintoshers)

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
I just ran the Try out version of Geekbench 2 on my fresh out of the box BTO iMac

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

and got 13061

Will install my Crucial 32GB later and run Geekbench 2 again ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.