Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
WhiteIphone5
Banned

If the rumored PS3(Orbis) and Xbox 720 releases next year? Will you get it? And why?

Tittle says it all.
Which one would you get?
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

No and no.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3
rezenclowd3
macrumors 6502a

Location: Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber at the track.
It all depends on what the hardware is, if the xmb or menu system isn't slow to respond like the current systems, and how little or much cross titles there will be.

If its like current where games are coming out for PC, PS3 AND 360, I will stick with PC.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:40 PM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Yes because hardware is like Pokemon to me, I have to collect them all...

Enjoying my Wii U, will definetly pick up the PS4/Orbis.

Though I've had every revision of Xbox 360, I may skip Xbox 720. Lately Microsoft hasn't made any exclusive games that have appealed to me at all.

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Dec 17, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

No, we have a Xbox 360 in our house, but I feel like Microsoft has too much control at this point, and that the gaming experience is starting to suffer on consoles in general. I just want to play a game. I already have cable, I don't want to play extra just to load up Netflix, and I honestly don't see the need of pretty much 90% of the content on the dashboard.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
-SD-
macrumors 6502

Realistically I'm not interested in either. I've made my choice for the next generation, and that's the WiiU. I'm not really into that many modern games, so as long as there's enough first/second-party releases of Nintendo's main IPs to keep me busy then I'm happy.

I'm more into my arcade games to be fair. Much as I love me a new Mario or Zelda (and hopefully a Pilotwings U), I'm more likely to be playing on the NeoēGeo or the Astro City.

-SD- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:40 PM   #7
midnightvii
macrumors member

Yes, I always been the front line for new console launch! I did it since GameCube.
midnightvii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Dagless
macrumors Core

I'll get the PS4 for sure, not decided on the Xbox. It depends on what they do.
Right now I go for PS3 because I prefer how they handle accounts, I like how I can buy PS1 games and play them on 3 different consoles, I like how future proof it all seems to be and how it's evolving with PS+, Cross-Buy, Playstation Mobile. I like how it's a very good bluray player, how it has iPlayer and features that don't require I buy a subscription for.

Microsoft seems much too closed for me. If the next Xbox is a bit more open and evolves then I might be tempted, but I'm not a fan of their IPs so it really is a services+hardware combo that would push me to get one.

WiiU, PS4 and PC is what I'm looking at.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
It all depends on what the hardware is, if the xmb or menu system isn't slow to respond like the current systems, and how little or much cross titles there will be.
The XMB and Xbox Metro menus are slow?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
dukebound85
macrumors P6

nope i don't think i will be buying game systems anymore

never play games as it is on my ps3
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:12 PM   #10
lightz39
macrumors regular

Xbox most likely. Its funny how a generation can change everything. I LOVED my ps2(100s of games for it) and ended up chucking my xbox. This generation the ps3 is a slow pos and xbox hands down won.(If not for ps3s exclusives they wouldn't even be in talks).
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz39 View Post
Xbox most likely. Its funny how a generation can change everything. I LOVED my ps2(100s of games for it) and ended up chucking my xbox. This generation the ps3 is a slow pos and xbox hands down won.(If not for ps3s exclusives they wouldn't even be in talks).
Out of curiosity how is it a "slow pos"?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:24 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
for one like me, where i play a game every now and then it sucks to have to get OS updates and then game updates that take forever....to the point I say screw it and go do something else
dukebound85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:33 PM   #13
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Had a 360 in it's early days, went through 3 and said forget it, and got a PS3, though when I think about it I've always been a Sony diehard...just the PS3 was too expensive for me at the time.

What the 360 does better than PS3 is achievements. It just doesn't compare, and I loved getting achievements, though I will admit that I was at one point just playing games to get them, and probably not playing the game itself.

Since I tend to lean heavily to RPGs, I will stick with PS3/PS4 when it comes out since RPGs seem to lean more towards that system. Was not really a fan of 360 RPGs aside from Tales of Vesperia.

I will wait till the games catalog grows a bit though.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Consider most exclusives have come to the PS3, blu-ray player and no online fees for multiplayer I feel in this gen the PS3 is the best buy.

Now for the next next-gen which the TS has to change the title of the thread since the Orbis would be the PS4 , I will hold until 2016, not enough money at the moment and my backlog is huge! Got a few weeks back many good PS3 games for $1-2 used.

I do think my next console is prob. not gonna be a console and instead go back to playing PC games. The graphics difference is gonna be staggering in the next few years and w/ things like steam it's easy and cheap to run games w/out worrying w/ the many thing sone had to in the 90's w/ PC games.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Iíll probably get a PS4 because of the exclusives. The Xbox doesnít have as many exclusive games that interest me. I canít say 100%, though, until we know the actual specs. Part of what made the PS3 an easy buy for me, instead of the 360, was Blu-ray. Who knows what Sony and Microsoft's next system will. If Sony will have 4K output potential, that will future proof the PS4 and make it another easy buy.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:14 PM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Nope and Nope. I don't find myself gaming enough to worry about it, yet.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #17
lightz39
macrumors regular

Quote:
Slow menus, lack of ram(half of xbox) makes games like Skyrim damn near unplayable. Just doesn't feel snappy like it should.

I'll give sony one thing. PS+ is extremely worth the price.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Slow menus, lack of ram(half of xbox) makes games like Skyrim damn near unplayable. Just doesn't feel snappy like it should.

Weird, I find it completely the opposite of the clunky slow Xbox Metro and WiiU interfaces! XMB is instant, I can change settings, browse my games and videos in no time and gets me into games quicker. (I wonder if that's to do with how Xbox handles cloud saves, which are synced at console boot and shutdown)
I find the Xbox onscreen keyboard incredibly slow to navigate too. Picked up a keyboard to make entering text quicker!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:41 PM   #19
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Had the PS2. Skipped the PS3. Will probably buy the PS4, unless Sony drops the ball big time.

Other than the Halo franchise, no XBox titles really interest me. Gotta admit, Microsoft does one helluva job marketing the Xbox.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:42 PM   #20
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

No due to no money. If I had all the money in the world I would still only get the xbox.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:45 PM   #21
chrf097
macrumors 68020

Maybe on the PS4, No on the Xbox 720, as I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas.

----------

Quote:

The part about the games is due to Bethesda's horrible optimizing for PS3. Games that make use of the PS3 fully often tend to look better and play better than the 360 variants.
chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:47 PM   #22
lightz39
macrumors regular

Quote:
Weird, I find it completely the opposite of the clunky slow Xbox Metro and WiiU interfaces! XMB is instant, I can change settings, browse my games and videos in no time and gets me into games quicker. (I wonder if that's to do with how Xbox handles cloud saves, which are synced at console boot and shutdown)
I find the Xbox onscreen keyboard incredibly slow to navigate too. Picked up a keyboard to make entering text quicker!
I wish I had your luck. I press my PS Home button and it takes a few seconds for it to load. I press my xbox guide button and its just there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Maybe on the PS4, No on the Xbox 720, as I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas.

----------

The part about the games is due to Bethesda's horrible optimizing for PS3. Games that make use of the PS3 fully often tend to look better and play better than the 360 variants.
I have yet to see a "better looking" game on the ps3. Generally they look better for the xbox as its easier to optimize for. This is well known.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:44 PM   #23
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
I wish I had your luck. I press my PS Home button and it takes a few seconds for it to load. I press my xbox guide button and its just there.[COLOR="#808080"]
It sounds like something is up with your console. Pressing the home button on all my consoles brings the menu up instantly, there's maybe a half a second delay on the 3DS, WiiU and when running PS1 games on PSP.

Quote:
I have yet to see a "better looking" game on the ps3. Generally they look better for the xbox as its easier to optimize for. This is well known.
Multiplatform games can go either way, it depends on many factors (it has nothing to do with the Xbox being "easier to optimize for") such as the engine used, where memory is allocated, the history and abilities of the developers etc. Generally the PS3 GPU is better, there are more 1080p and 3D games on PS3 than Xbox and then you have the exclusives that are currently the best this gen (Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Beyond).

The PS3 was a slow burner.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:45 PM   #24
rezenclowd3
macrumors 6502a

Location: Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber at the track.
Quote:
Right now I go for PS3 because I prefer how they handle accounts, I like how I can buy PS1 games and play them on 3 different consoles, I like how future proof it all seems to be and how it's evolving with PS+, Cross-Buy, Playstation Mobile.
Microsoft seems much too closed for me. If the next Xbox is a bit more open and evolves then I might be tempted, but I'm not a fan of their IPs so it really is a services+hardware combo that would push me to get one.

----------

The XMB and Xbox Metro menus are slow?
Interesting. I absolutely abhor the PSN. Organization is bad, it's still too slow, and as usual, too much crap. I still don't see the desire to use PS+.

And yes, the XMB and Xbox Metro menus are terribly slow, ESPECIALLY when trying to access them in game. On PSN, trying to send a msg to someone in Dark Souls/Demons souls is useless if you want to walk through it at a decent pace. Same with thee Xbox, if I want to quickly check something during a loading screen, I really can't as it also is too slow. Both should be almost instantaneously available, INTO AND out of.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:43 PM   #25
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
Yes, PS4 first then I'll wait for all the kinks to be worked out of Microsoft box...I won't stand for the next gen RROD from MS.
Also if MS don't show me some exclusives besides Forza, Halo and Gears then there's no reason for me to own the next MS box.

Bless

Last edited by 2nyRiggz; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
2nyRiggz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games