Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Nothing beats Verizon for voice. But as we know, data is the future and voice is declining rapidly. Technically if I wanted to, I can load up an app that uses LTE for voice and start making calls. But since indoor coverage is nonexistent with Verizon, I can't

What app?

Jades said:
As far as the throttling and sim swap policy, yeah you have a point. I also look at it in a way of, how often will I actually be doing this?

Sim swap policy I see your point. Throttling is a separate issue.

Jades said:
Allowing loyal customers to upgrade and keep their plan is another plus. I don't see that staying in effect much longer though. Both these companies like to copy each other.

I don't see that happening with AT&T since they have a throttling policy at 5GB until the billing cycle ends.

I'm way more confident in AT&T not ending grandfathered unlimited data because of this reason because they don't/won't have issues with unlimited data users congesting the network.

With VZW it's more 'up in the air' with unlimited. Why? As an example I'm have an out of contract VZW line. I can't get a new unlimited contract for 2 years with my out of contract unlimited line.

With AT&T I don't see any inclination that they'll end throttled unltd because you're still able to upgrade at subsidized pricing and still keep your throttled unltd data which = a 2 year contract. Yes AT&T can change your plan even though you have a contract but it's highly unlikely because it's impossible for me to abuse the network because they'll throttle me at 5GB, I'm not a threat.

Now with VZW since I'm out of contract and can use 15GB at un-throttled speeds I am a threat.

Yea both follow each other but in this case it would be VZW following AT&T with their throttling policy.

Last edited:

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
What app?

Sim swap policy I see your point. Throttling is a separate issue.

I don't see that happening with AT&T since they have a throttling policy at 5GB until the billing cycle ends.

I'm way more confident in AT&T not ending grandfathered unlimited data because of this reason because they don't/won't have issues with unlimited data users congesting the network.

With VZW it's more 'up in the air' with unlimited. Why? As an example I'm have an out of contract VZW line. I can't get a new unlimited contract for 2 years with my out of contract unlimited line.

With AT&T I don't see any inclination that they'll end throttled unltd because you're still able to upgrade at subsidized pricing and still keep your throttled unltd data which = a 2 year contract. Yes AT&T can change your plan even though you have a contract but it's highly unlikely because it's impossible for me to abuse the network because they'll throttle me at 5GB, I'm not a threat.

Now with VZW since I'm out of contract and can use 15GB at un-throttled speeds I am a threat.

Yea both follow each other but in this case it would be VZW following AT&T with their throttling policy.

I'm using Bria. It's a sip spfhome that connects to my PBX

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Like I said I have 1 unlimited VZW line and an AT&T family plan each line having unlimited data.

There are some advantages to VZW that I wish AT&T had. The first big advantage for me is the unlimited mobile hotspot with VZW at $30/month. The second is I can use my VZW iPhone 5 sim in my iPad and use the sim on my iPad for unlimited data. The third is at this time VZW doesn't throttle 4G devices, but I think it's inevitable that VZW will start to network optimize as they state on their site.

The advantages with AT&T is I was able to keep unlimited data and upgrade at subsidized pricing. I upgraded 2 of our lines to iPhone 5's and the cost to upgrade 2 lines was $400'ish. If I was to do this with VZW and wanted to keep unlimited data on the 2 lines the cost would have been $1400'ish. Big difference between $400'ish and $1400'ish to keep unlimited data.

Yes AT&T throttles LTE data when you reach 5GB until the billing cycle ends. It's important to note that when you get throttled on LTE the speeds are NOT reduced to EDGE speeds. They are reduced to 500'ish Mbps down and up and you still get low pings. For normal everyday applications 500'ish Mbps up and down with low pings under 100 works great. But you can notice a difference when watching Netflix as an example. Netflix is still watchable on throttled AT&T LTE @ 500'ish Mbps down and up with under 100 pings but the quality of watching Netflix on I throttled speeds is better.

AT&T in the last 2 years has really gotten things together. Prior to 2 years ago another story. Being an AT&T customer prior to 2 years ago(for 10 years) I can see almost a complete turnaround in how they are actively fixing issues that once gave them a bad rep. Yes they still have issues.

The biggest thing I don't like about AT&T is their throttling policy. Like I said it isn't that bad.

It's area dependent and even within an area dependent.

I prefer VZW more because of the advantages from above.

Unlimited VZW is great to have along with the ability of unlimited mobile hotspot and the ability to take my iPhone sim and use it on my iPad. VZW let's you do this I think because they can't legally stop you(FCC).

BUT I'm not confident that VZW unlimited data is here to stay.

As far as voice I hear that AT&T isn't good in NYC but VZW voice is pretty good, is that true?

----------

How much better? In Philly AT&T LTE is better than VZW LTE but not significantly better to make me switch.

Coverage and speed. People in the loop still get congestion issues.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
How's the quality?

Not too bad as long as you are outdoors. Cuts in and out at times. I use g729 which compresses the call to 33 Kbps
I have an AT&T unlimited data plan for my ipad and never have issues - and on the ipad I use it with g711 (90 Kbps)

My biggest fear is when Verizon makes the transition to voice over LTE. For the meantime, bria is my version of VoLTE

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Not too bad as long as you are outdoors. Cuts in and out at times. I use g729 which compresses the call to 33 Kbps
I have an AT&T unlimited data plan for my ipad and never have issues - and on the ipad I use it with g711 (90 Kbps)

My biggest fear is when Verizon makes the transition to voice over LTE. For the meantime, bria is my version of VoLTE

I use Google Voice callback. I have our Google Voice #'s on our a list. Then the app calls you back via your Google voice #. It's a free call since it's on aList.

Will your alternative work better?

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I'm using Bria. It's a sip spfhome that connects to my PBX

How's the quality?

I also use Bria and its awesome! I setup my boss iPad for his vacation and friday he called me from Bangkok and the quality was like if he was at the office. We use an Allworx system.

I use Google Voice callback. I have our Google Voice #'s on our a list. Then the app calls you back via your Google voice #. It's a free call since it's on aList.

I use Talkatone to use my Google of the internet... quality is good, could be better. They sell you "better" codes but I dont feel like spending money.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012

Your way works better because its an actual phone call. Bria takes up data

Bria is awesome when traveling overseas!! We use an asterisk-based cloud PBX

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
This is the sad part. It should be the other way around lol. Verizon should have the better coverage because that's what they're known for, but as soon as you step indoors you loose the LTE connection meanwhile AT&T maintains 4-5 bars consistently

Wish I had AT&T unlimited data instead

Well... LTE is GSM based, Not CDMA. So it's pretty even across carriers in terms of connectivity if using the same bandwidth and that 4x4 thingy. If there is no LTE tower near you or you're deep in a building then you won't get signal. Just be glad you can even get speeds that fast in one of the most populated areas in the world.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Verizon wireless was ranked number one by consumer reports, they have the most LTE coverage, that being said no carrier is going to be perfect everywhere they offer service, if you get better service with another carrier where you reside in the most then switch.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
NYC is strange in that the large buildings, operation of various equipment (i.e. power generators) etc cause service issues regardless of the carrier. You can receive 50mbs on one side of a block and 10 feet away receive 5mbs.
While we've seen variances regardless of state, I would tend to believe NYC has the most dramatic.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
NYC is strange in that the large buildings, operation of various equipment (i.e. power generators) etc cause service issues regardless of the carrier. You can receive 50mbs on one side of a block and 10 feet away receive 5mbs.
While we've seen variances regardless of state, I would tend to believe NYC has the most dramatic.

I thought VZW in NYC was great when they first launched LTE there. And I have heard that VZW voice is still pretty good?

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
AT&T. It's getting better but still not great.

Which carrier would you consider better in NYC, Verizon or AT&T at the present in regards to voice and LTE data? Or is one better with LTE and one is better with voice?

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Which carrier would you consider better in NYC, Verizon or AT&T at the present in regards to voice and LTE data? Or is one better with LTE and one is better with voice?

Verizon voice
AT&T LTE - data

Avoid Verizon for data in NYC right now as it stands

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.