Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:02 AM   #26
Jason99kr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Maybe get a replacement?
__________________
Mid-2012 13" MacBook Air 1.8GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
iPhone 5 16GB Verizon
Jason99kr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:03 AM   #27
macher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post
Nothing beats Verizon for voice. But as we know, data is the future and voice is declining rapidly. Technically if I wanted to, I can load up an app that uses LTE for voice and start making calls. But since indoor coverage is nonexistent with Verizon, I can't
What app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades
As far as the throttling and sim swap policy, yeah you have a point. I also look at it in a way of, how often will I actually be doing this?
Sim swap policy I see your point. Throttling is a separate issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades
Allowing loyal customers to upgrade and keep their plan is another plus. I don't see that staying in effect much longer though. Both these companies like to copy each other.
I don't see that happening with AT&T since they have a throttling policy at 5GB until the billing cycle ends.

I'm way more confident in AT&T not ending grandfathered unlimited data because of this reason because they don't/won't have issues with unlimited data users congesting the network.

With VZW it's more 'up in the air' with unlimited. Why? As an example I'm have an out of contract VZW line. I can't get a new unlimited contract for 2 years with my out of contract unlimited line.

With AT&T I don't see any inclination that they'll end throttled unltd because you're still able to upgrade at subsidized pricing and still keep your throttled unltd data which = a 2 year contract. Yes AT&T can change your plan even though you have a contract but it's highly unlikely because it's impossible for me to abuse the network because they'll throttle me at 5GB, I'm not a threat.

Now with VZW since I'm out of contract and can use 15GB at un-throttled speeds I am a threat.

Yea both follow each other but in this case it would be VZW following AT&T with their throttling policy.

Last edited by macher; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:09 PM   #28
Jades
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
What app?



Sim swap policy I see your point. Throttling is a separate issue.



I don't see that happening with AT&T since they have a throttling policy at 5GB until the billing cycle ends.

I'm way more confident in AT&T not ending grandfathered unlimited data because of this reason because they don't/won't have issues with unlimited data users congesting the network.

With VZW it's more 'up in the air' with unlimited. Why? As an example I'm have an out of contract VZW line. I can't get a new unlimited contract for 2 years with my out of contract unlimited line.

With AT&T I don't see any inclination that they'll end throttled unltd because you're still able to upgrade at subsidized pricing and still keep your throttled unltd data which = a 2 year contract. Yes AT&T can change your plan even though you have a contract but it's highly unlikely because it's impossible for me to abuse the network because they'll throttle me at 5GB, I'm not a threat.

Now with VZW since I'm out of contract and can use 15GB at un-throttled speeds I am a threat.

Yea both follow each other but in this case it would be VZW following AT&T with their throttling policy.
I'm using Bria. It's a sip spfhome that connects to my PBX
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:10 PM   #29
macher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post
I'm using Bria. It's a sip spfhome that connects to my PBX
How's the quality?
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:19 PM   #30
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816
 
SilentLoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
Like I said I have 1 unlimited VZW line and an AT&T family plan each line having unlimited data.

There are some advantages to VZW that I wish AT&T had. The first big advantage for me is the unlimited mobile hotspot with VZW at $30/month. The second is I can use my VZW iPhone 5 sim in my iPad and use the sim on my iPad for unlimited data. The third is at this time VZW doesn't throttle 4G devices, but I think it's inevitable that VZW will start to network optimize as they state on their site.

The advantages with AT&T is I was able to keep unlimited data and upgrade at subsidized pricing. I upgraded 2 of our lines to iPhone 5's and the cost to upgrade 2 lines was $400'ish. If I was to do this with VZW and wanted to keep unlimited data on the 2 lines the cost would have been $1400'ish. Big difference between $400'ish and $1400'ish to keep unlimited data.

Yes AT&T throttles LTE data when you reach 5GB until the billing cycle ends. It's important to note that when you get throttled on LTE the speeds are NOT reduced to EDGE speeds. They are reduced to 500'ish Mbps down and up and you still get low pings. For normal everyday applications 500'ish Mbps up and down with low pings under 100 works great. But you can notice a difference when watching Netflix as an example. Netflix is still watchable on throttled AT&T LTE @ 500'ish Mbps down and up with under 100 pings but the quality of watching Netflix on I throttled speeds is better.

AT&T in the last 2 years has really gotten things together. Prior to 2 years ago another story. Being an AT&T customer prior to 2 years ago(for 10 years) I can see almost a complete turnaround in how they are actively fixing issues that once gave them a bad rep. Yes they still have issues.

The biggest thing I don't like about AT&T is their throttling policy. Like I said it isn't that bad.

It's area dependent and even within an area dependent.

I prefer VZW more because of the advantages from above.

Unlimited VZW is great to have along with the ability of unlimited mobile hotspot and the ability to take my iPhone sim and use it on my iPad. VZW let's you do this I think because they can't legally stop you(FCC).

BUT I'm not confident that VZW unlimited data is here to stay.

As far as voice I hear that AT&T isn't good in NYC but VZW voice is pretty good, is that true?

----------






How much better? In Philly AT&T LTE is better than VZW LTE but not significantly better to make me switch.

Coverage and speed. People in the loop still get congestion issues.
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:24 PM   #31
macher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
Coverage and speed. People in the loop still get congestion issues.
With AT&T or VZW or both?
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:30 PM   #32
Jades
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
How's the quality?
Not too bad as long as you are outdoors. Cuts in and out at times. I use g729 which compresses the call to 33 Kbps
I have an AT&T unlimited data plan for my ipad and never have issues - and on the ipad I use it with g711 (90 Kbps)

My biggest fear is when Verizon makes the transition to voice over LTE. For the meantime, bria is my version of VoLTE
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:45 PM   #33
macher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post
Not too bad as long as you are outdoors. Cuts in and out at times. I use g729 which compresses the call to 33 Kbps
I have an AT&T unlimited data plan for my ipad and never have issues - and on the ipad I use it with g711 (90 Kbps)

My biggest fear is when Verizon makes the transition to voice over LTE. For the meantime, bria is my version of VoLTE
I use Google Voice callback. I have our Google Voice #'s on our a list. Then the app calls you back via your Google voice #. It's a free call since it's on aList.

Will your alternative work better?
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:54 PM   #34
LoloBond
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post
I'm using Bria. It's a sip spfhome that connects to my PBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
How's the quality?
I also use Bria and its awesome! I setup my boss iPad for his vacation and friday he called me from Bangkok and the quality was like if he was at the office. We use an Allworx system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
I use Google Voice callback. I have our Google Voice #'s on our a list. Then the app calls you back via your Google voice #. It's a free call since it's on aList.

Will your alternative work better?
I use Talkatone to use my Google of the internet... quality is good, could be better. They sell you "better" codes but I dont feel like spending money.
LoloBond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:25 PM   #35
Jades
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
I use Google Voice callback. I have our Google Voice #'s on our a list. Then the app calls you back via your Google voice #. It's a free call since it's on aList.

Will your alternative work better?
Your way works better because its an actual phone call. Bria takes up data

Bria is awesome when traveling overseas!! We use an asterisk-based cloud PBX
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:29 PM   #36
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jades View Post
This is the sad part. It should be the other way around lol. Verizon should have the better coverage because that's what they're known for, but as soon as you step indoors you loose the LTE connection meanwhile AT&T maintains 4-5 bars consistently

Wish I had AT&T unlimited data instead
Well... LTE is GSM based, Not CDMA. So it's pretty even across carriers in terms of connectivity if using the same bandwidth and that 4x4 thingy. If there is no LTE tower near you or you're deep in a building then you won't get signal. Just be glad you can even get speeds that fast in one of the most populated areas in the world.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:17 AM   #37
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
Is that verizon? On my thunderbolt I was getting 10mbps in Victorville and Lancaster.
On Verizon yep - technically in Apple Valley - way east on the 18 within a block of a Verizon Tower.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:20 AM   #38
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Verizon wireless was ranked number one by consumer reports, they have the most LTE coverage, that being said no carrier is going to be perfect everywhere they offer service, if you get better service with another carrier where you reside in the most then switch.
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:43 AM   #39
bushman4
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
NYC is strange in that the large buildings, operation of various equipment (i.e. power generators) etc cause service issues regardless of the carrier. You can receive 50mbs on one side of a block and 10 feet away receive 5mbs.
While we've seen variances regardless of state, I would tend to believe NYC has the most dramatic.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:18 AM   #40
macher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman4 View Post
NYC is strange in that the large buildings, operation of various equipment (i.e. power generators) etc cause service issues regardless of the carrier. You can receive 50mbs on one side of a block and 10 feet away receive 5mbs.
While we've seen variances regardless of state, I would tend to believe NYC has the most dramatic.
I thought VZW in NYC was great when they first launched LTE there. And I have heard that VZW voice is still pretty good?

Last edited by macher; Dec 17, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:26 AM   #41
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816
 
SilentLoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
With AT&T or VZW or both?
AT&T. It's getting better but still not great.
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:36 AM   #42
macher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
AT&T. It's getting better but still not great.
Which carrier would you consider better in NYC, Verizon or AT&T at the present in regards to voice and LTE data? Or is one better with LTE and one is better with voice?
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:13 PM   #43
Jades
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
Which carrier would you consider better in NYC, Verizon or AT&T at the present in regards to voice and LTE data? Or is one better with LTE and one is better with voice?
Verizon voice
AT&T LTE - data

Avoid Verizon for data in NYC right now as it stands
Jades is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Or.. in NYC? thriii iPhone 17 Jan 6, 2014 12:13 PM
Carrier: Verizon - T Mobile in NYC AeroUK iPhone 31 Sep 26, 2013 10:33 AM
Anywhere in NYC to get a Verizon Gold 5S Phonzoxd iPhone 2 Sep 20, 2013 02:42 PM
camping out @ Verizon store in NYC juliebeannn iPhone 3 Sep 19, 2012 11:03 PM
AT&T vs. Verizon in NYC: HELP!!!! Gshox iPhone 6 Sep 19, 2012 10:02 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC