Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The one thing Microsoft has typically gotten right over the years is acknowledging that there are groups of computers users that don't need the latest whiz-bang feature instantly.

Microsoft is also good at warning users when features or systems will not be supported....

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 472

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Windows Disposition, Not Bloatware

LOL - as if anyone ever used it on Windows. Apple software on Windows(Safari, Quicktime, iTunes) is horrible bloatware.

The problem isn't that Apple's Windows software is bloatware. It's that Windows seems to have been programmed to have an anti-Apple disposition. It seems to deliberately slow down iTunes and Safari, particularly iTunes.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The problem isn't that Apple's Windows software is bloatware. It's that Windows seems to have been programmed to have an anti-Apple disposition. It seems to deliberately slow down iTunes and Safari, particularly iTunes.

Safari? It hasn't been available for Windows for almost 3 YEARS now so I don't know how up-to-date these comments could possibly be. Personally, I never noticed any difference between iTunes on my ancient Windows machine and the Mac I had at the time other than the window borders. People with Windows didn't like iTunes because it's not "Windows like" software and way back when it had its own windows borders, etc. and stuck out like a sore thumb in Windows. Plus you have to update all this other crap (e.g. install Quicktime that nothing else on Earth uses) just to get it to work in the first place.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Safari? It hasn't been available for Windows for almost 3 YEARS now so I don't know how up-to-date these comments could possibly be. Personally, I never noticed any difference between iTunes on my ancient Windows machine and the Mac I had at the time other than the window borders. People with Windows didn't like iTunes because it's not "Windows like" software and way back when it had its own windows borders, etc. and stuck out like a sore thumb in Windows. Plus you have to update all this other crap (e.g. install Quicktime that nothing else on Earth uses) just to get it to work in the first place.

Yeah, realize that it's been 3 years. It's a pain to have to use Chrome in Windows just to have a current browser. I have a Mac, but I occasionally have to use Windows PCs, so it would be nice to have a current version of Safari for Windows.

----------

Yeah, realize that it's been 3 years. It's a pain to have to use Chrome in Windows just to have a current browser. I have a Mac, but I occasionally have to use Windows PCs, so it would be nice to have a current version of Safari for Windows.

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say "I realize" instead of "realize".

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… it would be nice to have a current version of Safari for Windows. …

A more recent topic: Safari for Windows: Good or Bad Idea? with a December 2014 post: Steve Jobs and Apple Safari for Microsoft Windows: recollections from 2011.

With fewer (or without) Apple people to support development of Windows components the program depends on, I don't know how things progressed after 2011 but I guess that the program and its dependencies can still be built from source (WebKit Nightly Builds).

BuildingOnWindows – WebKit was updated in 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.