Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I finally got my 27-inch iMac today and the first two things I decided to do were install Guild Wars 2 and copy data from my external drive. I minimized the GW2 installer and noticed that I could still see it on the desktop. I moved the copy status out of the way and could still see it as well.

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't want to go through what others have with the Retina MBP. I believe all of the iMacs are using LG panels, so I'm not sure if it is worth exchanging over.

photocn.jpg

----------

After typing this post, I closed the forum window. You don't even want to know what it looks like. Ugh!

Last edited:

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Here's my thinking...

1. Right now these machines are impossible to get.
2. The problem may go away on its own as the panel wears in.
3. You have a warranty for 1 year.

So what I would do? Run it as is for now and see if it improves. If not, schedule a repair w/ Apple. I also highly recommend AppleCare on iMacs, as the LCD panels are prone to issues over time. (You can get AppleCare any time within the first year)

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I finally got my iMac today and the first two things I decided to do were install Guild Wars 2 and copy data from my external drive. I minimized the GW2 installer and noticed that I could still see it on the desktop. I moved the copy status out of the way and could still see it as well.

Is anyone else having this problem? I don't want to go through what others have with the Retina MBP. I believe all of the iMacs are using LG panels, so I'm not sure if it is worth exchanging over.

photocn.jpg

----------

After typing this post, I closed the forum window. You don't even want to know what it looks like. Ugh!

Wow, that is annoying. Is it 21.5 or 27? You would think Apple would sort this.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
think of it as a flavor saver.

Maybe they are employing that iPad trick of saving the screen off so the next time you need it "it just pops" :D

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Wow, that is annoying. Is it 21.5 or 27? You would think Apple would sort this.

It's a 27-inch. I don't have any other issues with it, but this one is annoying. My last few iMacs have not had this problem. I believe the last screen that I had this happen on was a 23-inch Cinema Display.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Is the image retention more visible on a dark gray background? I find it very odd that the iMac would pronounce this defect since last year's models didn't. Is it possible the display technology is different this time around? I'm very worried about going through this issue again after experiencing multiple returns/exchanges for my rMBP. I'm just gonna hope there were three manufacturers (or more) for these displays, LG, Japan Display, and Sharp. Between these I would prefer Sharp if anything, LG no doubt produces amazing color accuracy, but I just can't accept image retention worsening over time and conflicting with my animation projects.

I will be receiving my iMac in a few hours and I'll check this and other common screen defects to update you guys.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I turned the brightness down one notch -- it was at max earlier -- and it doesn't appear to be retaining an image now. I run at maximum brightness on the 21.5-inch I sold, but this 27 at max seems much brighter.

ozlow

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
pacific NW
My MBPr had this issue.

I purchase a MBPr the first day it came out. The first thing I did when it was delivered... check to see which screen it had Samsung or LG. I was hit with the LG, which seemed to work pretty good for a couple months. Then I noticed little white dots, which started growing after that I started also noticing IR. I took it to Apple and they immediately said their was a problem. Had my machine over night to replace the screen. As, soon as I got it back, I check to see what screen they replaced it with — They blessed it with the Samsung. I'd have to say that the Samsung screen seems MUCH CLEANER. I'm waiting for my 27 inch to show up. I hope they get some of the bugs fixed before it arrives. :D

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
my 15 inch retina macbook has ir. it has an lg screen. i read in the ipad forums users with ir on the 4th gen iPad.

its disappointing to hear that the imac a non retina display has ir.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I turned the brightness down one notch -- it was at max earlier -- and it doesn't appear to be retaining an image now. I run at maximum brightness on the 21.5-inch I sold, but this 27 at max seems much brighter.

It is still doing it, but it takes longer for it to retain the image. It seems as if lowering the brightness buys a little time before it sticks.

Spiffious

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
My brand new BTO 27" is doing this too. :(

Not sure what to do. I was transferring some files and left the window open for about 20 minutes. I then opened photoshop for the first time and the gray background made it immediately clear that there image burn was present.

Also, parts of chrome browser are appearing as burn after only 5-10 minutes.

I am 2 hours from an apple store, and new BTOs are a month out, how do I deal with a return, etc? Is that what I should do?

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Sorry to hear. Was this an issue with the 2011 models? Call Apple and see what they say, perhaps they can allow you to keep this one until the replacement comes in?

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I finally got my 27-inch iMac today and the first two things I decided to do were install Guild Wars 2 and copy data from my external drive. I minimized the GW2 installer and noticed that I could still see it on the desktop. I moved the copy status out of the way and could still see it as well.

----------

my 2008 iMac also had screen retention almost from the start. Add to that, backlight bleeding and yellow tinting issues (I have a spyder 3 and i can't get rid of the yellow tint completely). It didn't improve over time, for the price paid, I suggest you return it. I always had regrets about keeping mine.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I say call Apple about this issue. It may be that the display still hasn't "dried" but I wouldn't expect it to be this bad.

planetMitch

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
Missouri
I am seeing this too! Included demo video

Video demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98a8nzzF4s

it isn't the best video, but you can def. see the 'retention' - I was going to call it "burn in" and open a thread, but just saw this one.

It seems to fade, but this is pretty dang obvious - even my 14 year old daughter can see it on the screen!

I'm hoping this isn't a big problem with these new screens

I just got this dang computer loaded! I don't want to have to ship it back.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Take the video again and this time turn the phone landscape.

Vertical Videos - not even once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.