Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pslavish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I have a Sony Stereo Receiver which doesn't have an optical audio port.

Currently my stereo is connected to the cable box, which is connected to the TV via HDMI. Apple TV is connected as well via HDMI, but I can't get stereo sound through my speakers.

Is there any way to configure the setup so I can get sound coming through my receiver/speakers when using the Apple TV (without optical audio)? I do have an optical audio chord though, which I can use if necessary.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
You do not need an optical connection, HDMI audio should work fine. Check your amps' settings, if the input is set to optical or analog instead of HDMI audio.
There are no settings on the ATV site as far as I know.

To what is your ATV connected directly, amp or TV?

pslavish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
You do not need an optical connection, HDMI audio should work fine. Check your amps' settings, if the input is set to optical or analog instead of HDMI audio.
There are no settings on the ATV site as far as I know.

To what is your ATV connected directly, amp or TV?

Apple TV is connected via HDMI to my TV>TV is connected to Cable Box>Cable Box is connected to Amp

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No, there is no path from your ATV to your tv to your cable box to your stereo. You need an amplifier with a digital input.

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
I use this: FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter ($19.91 @ Amazon). It works well and plays through my receiver via RCA plugs.

If you order one, don't forget an optical cable!

Hope this helps!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

I use a converter for my headphones, which are analog only.

Digital audio to converter, analog to headphones.

Around $20-30 on Amazon.

See what ports you have available and then find a converter. Mine works great.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Could you tell us exactly what kind of input options are available on your reciever?

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Apple TV is connected via HDMI to my TV>TV is connected to Cable Box>Cable Box is connected to Amp

Zhenya is right, if your amp is connected to your cable box, nothing is connecting you ATV to your amp.
So you need to make sure that there is a HDMI connection going from your TV (audio output) to your amp. Better would be to have everything run through your amp, and your amp to your TV, this would be the standard home-cinema set-up. If your amp has no digital intput, you still can use the analog output from your TV to the amp, this will give you some less quality audio.

Last edited:

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
I have a Sony Stereo Receiver which doesn't have an optical audio port.

Currently my stereo is connected to the cable box, which is connected to the TV via HDMI. Apple TV is connected as well via HDMI, but I can't get stereo sound through my speakers.

Is there any way to configure the setup so I can get sound coming through my receiver/speakers when using the Apple TV (without optical audio)? I do have an optical audio chord though, which I can use if necessary.

Does your receiver have a coaxial digital audio input? If you do, you can buy an optical to coaxial converter.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-400...id=1355905806&sr=8-2&keywords=toslink+to+coax

(Not sure about the quality of the item I linked, just a random pick to give you an idea.)

DaveVideo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
I just found an HDMI to RCA audio adapter. I'm gonna try to take ATV to TV (w/HDMI) and then audio out of the TV to stereo (HDMI to RCA audio). Will let you know if that works.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I bought a coax/optical digital to analog RCA converter at Radio Shack so I could hook up my daughter's Apple TV to her stereo receiver in her room. It worked great!

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I just found an HDMI to RCA audio adapter. I'm gonna try to take ATV to TV (w/HDMI) and then audio out of the TV to stereo (HDMI to RCA audio). Will let you know if that works.

Why would your TV have audio out via HDMI?

It would be quite weird for the TV manufacturer to expect you to have video-out via HDMI, and equally weird to have audio-out via HDMI.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Why would your TV have audio out via HDMI?

It would be quite weird for the TV manufacturer to expect you to have video-out via HDMI, and equally weird to have audio-out via HDMI.
Well, Dave, that won't work the way you put it, you don't want to do all that messing around for nothing. But TVs can have audio out via HDMI. Here, what TVs should have:

Optical out. Send this back to your receiver for sound.

ARC. If both your TV and receiver have ARC on the HDMI connections (and BOTH must have this feature), the TV will send audio via the same HDMI wire that goes from receiver output to TV input. Note that it may only be one connection on each device that actually says "ARC".

alxtraf

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I have HDMI to a Sony Bravia and then a simple mini-plug (headphoes jack) to RCA to a brand new stereo Denon amplifier (yes, after setting up many multi speakers systems I went back to the good-old-two-channel sound). After all, we have only two ears!

tigonsau

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Optical out. Send this back to your receiver for sound.

ARC. If both your TV and receiver have ARC on the HDMI connections (and BOTH must have this feature), the TV will send audio via the same HDMI wire that goes from receiver output to TV input. Note that it may only be one connection on each device that actually says "ARC".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.