Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Just because it has a bunch of downloads doesn't mean it's a "success." It's free. I downloaded it, realized you can't search for a destination based on any of your contacts, and haven't used it since.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Just because it has a bunch of downloads doesn't mean it's a "success." It's free. I downloaded it, realized you can't search for a destination based on any of your contacts, and haven't used it since.

A bunch? You mean 10 million downloads with a rating of 4.5 rating isn't a success. Say NO to Kool-Aid!

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Wait, did you search Google Maps first or Apple Maps?

----------

In all seriousness, this site definitely isn't the best place to conduct these polls.

I searched Google Maps first, then searched Apple Maps. I took the screenshots after I discovered the vast difference - as I wasn't planning to do a comparison. The results really caught me by surprise and I think that everyone needs to stop drinking Google's and Eric Schmidt's Kool-Aid propaganda about how good they really are...

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I liked the old google maps app when it was part of ios but this version sucks, for me it doesn't seem to work how i expect to and flips to screens i don't want etc. Frankly i now prefer apple maps version it has no errors that i can find but I do live in central london which would be a priority to get right.

Google are great at giving us products for free and i'm always concerned when they undermine other companies businesses such as sat nav. Google made it impossible to sell it anymore and as such eradicates the competition.
I've bought more than one paid navigation app, so they're not undermining the competition completely. They're raising the bar on what a minimum app needs to accomplish to be worth anything which should drive innovation, I'd hope.

Plus, the Google option isn't free. I'm paying for it with information about myself that I happen to value. I'm probably not alone in trading money for privacy.

Like you, I'm not all that thrilled with the new g-maps. Is there a way to enable "hybrid" mode? Satellite and roads? It's not as good at labeling minor locations-- I've been looking for small places in the world where I have family and they're typically not labeled in Google but are in Apple's map. Google's arial imagery in these places is also much, much lower resolution.

I haven't tried the turn by turn in Google, but it just told me that a location on another continent is 7 minutes away... It found the destination correctly, but hadn't actually calculated a route.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
With this said... Google Maps isn't all its cracked up to be.

I will admit that Apple Maps was very frustrating upon first release. I have never gotten wrong directions before - mainly frustrated in regards to POI search. It seemed Google was much better at producing relevant or ANY results, where as at first launch Apple only returned matches if they were a 100% match (not very good when you are unsure of a name or place).

However, this is where Apple Maps has steadily improved since its launch in iOS 6, and they now show related or relevant results that don't always 100% match the search (in a good way). So much so that Apple Maps has performed better than Google Maps in a few POI requests. When I went to Santacon in NYC this past weekend and had no idea where the "Pier 84" starting meetup was I found one such instance that supports this. Wanting to try out Google Maps I searched for it - and wasn't really given a clearcut answer to where it was.

Comically, I switched to Apple maps, searched the same entry, and got an exact and much more clearcut result. See below:

Google Maps:

Apple Maps:

As you can see, Google brought up "Pier 84 Supply Co". I was unsure if that was where the Pier was located, and later discovered that Google Maps had the pier labeled as a "Dog Park". If you look at Apple Maps result for the same search, it comes up with a much better answer and correctly has the pier labeled and noted as a park.

I then used Apple Maps to navigate me to the destination. It did so flawlessly and it was the first time I have relied on it 100% for turn by turn directions to get me to a place I was unfamiliar with (rather than simply testing it out on release). I was very impressed, especially with the lock screen integration and lighting the screen when directions are being given temporarily when its locked.

As such, I will definitely be using Apple Maps as my default and first-to mapping service. Hopefully I won't run into any problems, but if I do, I can just check Google quick. I would rather use Apple Maps though going forward for the improved integration and to make it better/more accurate. Not to mention, I'm not exactly a "fan" of the new Google Maps UI. I don't like how the names for the pins show up at the bottom now instead of on the pin, and to operate the app is a bit cumbersome.

OMG google mapgate!

don29726

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
just south of Charlotte, NC
I've been using the Apple Maps app since I picked up my iPhone 5 and have yet to have issue with it.
I have downloaded the Google Maps app, but only to do some comparison.
So far, there are 2 things I like better in the Google app....
1) the voice
2) The use of highway/road symbols in the green instructions box at the top of the screen
Both very minor
However, the do prefer the Apple app for showing streets as you are passing by them... MUCH better in Apple than Google

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
A bunch? You mean 10 million downloads with a rating of 4.5 rating isn't a success. Say NO to Kool-Aid!

heh heh, it is a great success as an app. But Google is in a terrible position compare to where they were in IOS5. Google map used to have 100% penetration in IOS device. On Oct 24, Tim Cook mentioned that 200m IOS devices were already on IOS 6. So 10 million Google map download works out to only 5% penetration in IOS 6 now.. Should Google team went out and celebrate a 5% penetration rate?

It is a good start but Google is losing ground in this little battle with Apple. They started at 100% penetration to less than 100% penetration to the IOS market. And they were not going to give IOS user turn by turn navigation unless Apple give in to the branding or Google latitude demand. And now Google get nothing in return of putting turn by turn in IOS.. What exactly did Google win?

Apple don't have a lot of reasons to celebrate either. They win this little battle but the reputation of the development team took a terrible beating that they will have a hard time to live down for another year or so. And the CEO has to issue an apology letter to users. The map team will have to work extra long hours to fix the map problem. All these could have been avoid if Forestall ego is a little bit less. But at least they get something for IOS users that they were going to get before.

http://betanews.com/2012/10/23/half-of-apple-devices-already-run-ios-6/

Today, during a special media event, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that 200 million devices already have iOS 6. That works out to half cumulative shipments -- 400 million. The company may update that number during its quarterly earnings call in two days.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
According to a Google+ blog post from Jeff Huber,
Though 10 million is a significant number,*it still represents just a fraction of iOS users. Only three days after iOS 6 was released on September 21, Apple announced that it had been downloaded onto more than 100 million devices.

The number of iOS 6 downloads has likely increased quite a bit over the last three months, indicating that the majority of iOS users have chosen to stick with Apple's Maps application rather than switching to Google Maps, despite the rampant complaints about the quality of the built-in app.

10 million in 2 days for an App that doesn't pop up on the phone saying "Install me now" like iOS6 does?
That's a very significant number of people that are daily checking for a Google Maps app.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
This is like saying the majority of Windows/Mac users have chosen to stick with Internet Explorer/Safari instead of switching to Firefox/Chrome when in reality many just don't care or know it's available.

I was going to make the Windows and Internet Explorer connection too. Many consumers stick with the default option, even if it is inferior, simply because they don't know any better or they're reluctant to explore other options for fear of having to learn something new.

I'd say 10 million downloads within 48 hours isn't a bad achievement for Google at all. Apple has to seriously lift its game here within the next few months, or they should withdraw their maps app and incorporate Google Maps into the OS—for the sake of all iOS users. Microsoft should have done that with Internet Explorer ten years ago, and allowed users and developers alike to enjoy widespread use of standards-compliant browsers. They might have done that if it was actually about the user experience. But no, it was never about the user—it was about market dominance and power.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
heh heh, it is a great success as an app. But Google is in a terrible position compare to where they were in IOS5. Google map used to have 100% penetration in IOS device. On Oct 24, Tim Cook mentioned that 200m IOS devices were already on IOS 6. So 10 million Google map download works out to only 5% penetration in IOS 6 now.. Should Google team went out and celebrate a 5% penetration rate?

It is a good start but Google is losing ground in this little battle with Apple. They started at 100% penetration to less than 100% penetration to the IOS market. And they were not going to give IOS user turn by turn navigation unless Apple give in to the branding or Google latitude demand. And now Google get nothing in return of putting turn by turn in IOS.. What exactly did Google win?

Apple don't have a lot of reasons to celebrate either. They win this little battle but the reputation of the development team took a terrible beating that they will have a hard time to live down for another year or so. And the CEO has to issue an apology letter to users. The map team will have to work extra long hours to fix the map problem. All these could have been avoid if Forestall ego is a little bit less. But at least they get something for IOS users that they were going to get before.

http://betanews.com/2012/10/23/half-of-apple-devices-already-run-ios-6/

But it's only been two days. I'm sure it will go up. BTW, I don't think Google ever had 100% penetration.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I searched Google Maps first, then searched Apple Maps. I took the screenshots after I discovered the vast difference - as I wasn't planning to do a comparison. The results really caught me by surprise and I think that everyone needs to stop drinking Google's and Eric Schmidt's Kool-Aid propaganda about how good they really are...

Still, this is just a isolated case, which can not be used to make conclusions from. Internationally, Google Maps is better. As for the U.S., I'd like to see a larger study comparing the two.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I downloaded it. Things I like
When zooming in or out, Google maps stays fixed on your position. Apple maps goes all over the place.
Satellite mapping is much better (newer images) and zooms in tighter than Apple.

Things I don't like
Default setting to track my location. I dug down and turned that off.
UI is a bit confusing and does not follow what I am used to in iOS. The little dots in the right hand corner, etc seem a bit foreign.

Living in KC, Apple maps works great for me, especially turn by turn. Others in my family live in a smaller town and don't have as much luck with Apple maps.

Its good to have choices but for me, Apple Maps works well and being cooked into the OS gives me a superior experience.

Still think in the end this is good for the user. And I was happiest about getting turn by turn and faster maps. Something Google seemed slow in providing.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
[...]indicating that the majority of iOS users have chosen to stick with Apple's Maps application rather than switching to Google Maps, despite the rampant complaints about the quality of the built-in app.

How about the number of people who have devices that don't use any Maps app, there are a lot of children out there with iPod Touch's and iPad's that aren't using the Maps app and thus don't need to "replace" it.

So saying that because only 10mil out of 100mil+ people have downloaded Google Maps means people are choosing to stay with Apple Maps is a bit absurd.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Look at my join date and you'll realize I've been an apple fan forever. And, really I go back to Apple IIe so I'm hardly a hater.

But some of you fanboys are completely out of control. Apple maps is awful. The other day, it sent me to a wawa (convenience store) that was really someone's house. Pulled up map quest and they rerouted me just fine.

Now i have Google maps and Apple Maps has been relegated to the crap folder.

When you have 10M hate your default app so much that they immediately download google maps, you're doing something really wrong. Inertia and laziness is a huge factor in people sticking with what they have. You have 10M jump ship and that's not a loss? Please.

Ooooh only 10M instead of 100M who were prompted (IIRC) to update their iOS? :rolleyes:
I see it less as a fanboy issue, and more an egocentrism issue. All mapping is local. I, for example, have no idea what a wawa is, or even what country I might find one in, yet you assume that since I haven't been screaming my bloody head off about how bad, bad, bad Apple is, it's because I'm a fanboy ignoring reality rather than a satisfied user of a product that has worked well for me and better than its predecessor in many respects.

I see it as a question of how well people can understand life outside their own. Some people seem to assume that since they've had a problem, everyone who hasn't (or, simply gives a measured response) is lying. There is a failure to account for different operating conditions, and a failure to account for different preferences.

Clearly there were a lot of people unhappy with the Apple solution, and many who found it unusable, and those are among the 10 million. Also among the 10 million are people like me who are quite happy with the Apple solution but see no reason not to keep a backup around, and it might be useful if I need transit directions.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
With this said... Google Maps isn't all its cracked up to be.

No map solution is. I think the difference is, people had unrealistic expectations of Apple's solution because they have a history of wowing folks with amazing products. On the flipside, people have relatively low expectations of Google so when Google screws up maps badly <http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=263> it doesn't become headline news.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I downloaded and deleted it.

So much hype over google. Other than the street view I find Apple maps better but I've not used it alot to spot errors as has been mentioned. The turn by turn thing is much better. Not interested in what Google offer and don't miss Youtube either.

There was a big hype by the media that Apple won't have the Google maps app pre installed..I'm sure alot of people seen the new app..downloaded it and never bothered since. By having two maps it just takes up more space on my phone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

That's nice. I personally think that anyone who wants to argue that 10M downloads - free, or not, isn't impressive is silly.

If Apple had a free App in their store and it was downloaded 10M times in 48 hours, people would gush how amazing that stat was with no "caveats" attached.

Why is it so hard for some to just say - hey - that's great. I prefer Apple Maps - but it's good that those that want something else have an alternative.

No - instead it's all about having to tear the stat apart. If you downloaded it and don't use it - good for you. If you're happy with Apple maps - again - good for you. If you're happier with Google maps - again - good for you.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Still, this is just a isolated case, which can not be used to make conclusions from. Internationally, Google Maps is better. As for the U.S., I'd like to see a larger study comparing the two.

Has there been a study to show that Google maps is better internationally? That's a serious question, because although a lot of complaints on forums like this seem to be from international users, the only report I've read is that Apple's maps rocks in China; Google not so much. This is apparently due to Apple using a gov't sanctioned mapping data company while Google is pulling bits and pieces from various sources.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Used Google maps on the weekend, it got me lost, lucky it was only about 2km from where I wanted to be and i was able to backtrack without the app. Also noticed the satellite maps for my area (NSW, Australia) are about 2-3 years out of date, at least Apple have more recent pics.
Still, a very nice app, good to see the street view option as well, although it could do with an update too.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Until turn-by-turn navigation pops up in the country I'm in (Thailand), I'll stick with iOS 6 maps as my primary map.

But I have to admit, I would ONLY use Google Maps when I'm out and about in an area I'm totally unfamiliar with.

Google Maps is ugly though. It isn't quite as 'neat' and friendly as iOS 6 maps is (64GB iPhone 5). The interface animations are also jumpy and not as smooth as the built-in iOS version.

Apple should be heeding this. If Apple can get it's data/services right, then they can steal back people who have switched to Google Maps entirely. Sign me up when that happens, because I'm thinking Google will give turn-by-turn navigation to Thailand soon!

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Solution

I paid 135 people a dollar to submit a request to Google (business expense) to fix this issue. I have also been doing about 4 times a year since maps was released by Google. I'm hoping one day it gets fixed. I also hope when it does, other GPS systems get their data fixed as well.

I can solve that for you. Go to the web and find your house, now look at the bottom where it says "Map Data 2012 Google, XXXX"
The company at XXXX provides the map data to Google - not Google! Google doesn't do street or street number mapping, Google buys access to maps and puts their own layer on top. Submit your error request directly to company XXXX.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Has there been a study to show that Google maps is better internationally? That's a serious question, because although a lot of complaints on forums like this seem to be from international users, the only report I've read is that Apple's maps rocks in China; Google not so much. This is apparently due to Apple using a gov't sanctioned mapping data company while Google is pulling bits and pieces from various sources.

Go to Tokyo (especially one of the busiest train station in the world, Shinjuku) and Hong Kong, 2 of the most densely populated cities in the world and see the difference between Google Maps and Apple Maps. You don't need a study to show that, because Apple maps basically has nothing. It's very easy to compare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.