Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

dinerdash.jpg
As discovered by The Next Web, the Center for Digital Democracy today asked the FTC to investigate a children's game made by Nickelodeon and PlayFirst for deceptive marketing.

According to the advocacy group, SpongeBob Diner Dash violates the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. The game, which is aimed at kids, is an iPhone and iPad app that can be found in the "Kids Games" section of the App Store, and though it claims to comply with COPPA, the CDD says that it does not.
The objective of the game is for children to help SpongeBob "seat, serve, and satisfy all kinds of fishy customers in five colorful Bikini Bottom restaurants," run by the greedy, selfish Mr. Krabs from the show. SpongeBob Diner Dash is a "freemium" game, which can be initially downloaded for free, but is designed to encourage users to buy virtual "coins" that can be spent on items such as shoes that make SpongeBob walk faster, or a frying pan that makes the food cook faster. Children are also prompted to spend more money to buy upgraded versions of the game.

The SpongeBob Diner Dash game asks children to provide a wide range of personal information, including full name, email address, and other online contact information, without providing notice to parents or obtaining prior parental consent, as required by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. Nor does the app provide an adequate description of the personal information it collects or how it is used.
The filing, which asks that the Federal Trade Commission investigate how the offending app collects data, comes just a week after the FTC released a report on the privacy practices of apps aimed at children. Following the report, the FTC began a non-public investigation to discover if app developers that produce games for children are violating Federal law.

SpongeBob Diner Dash and SpongeBob Diner Dash Deluxe, the offending games, have currently been removed from the U.S. App Store.

Article Link: Center for Digital Democracy Calls on FTC to Investigate SpongeBob App for COPPA Violations

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
"FTC to Investigate SpongeBob"

That part of the title wins "Funniest news title of the week".

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Hello government. Stop regulating business and damaging the economy. Sincerely, SpongeBob and friends.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
If they think that's the only one, they should investigate the My Little Pony game I downloaded for my daughter. I was surprised at how much personal info and social networking is required to play this game (supposedly for kids). Seriously.. What 7 yr old has a Facebook account??

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If they think that's the only one, they should investigate the My Little Pony game I downloaded for my daughter. I was surprised at how much personal info and social networking is required to play this game (supposedly for kids). Seriously.. What 7 yr old has a Facebook account??

There is some penguin game a 5 year old played on my phone and she effortlessly managed to buy add-ons using her full name and home address. I'm glad these apps are being looked into. Why does any game need all of that info?

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I think this needs screenshots (or it didn't happen?). I haven't used any apps that ask for outside information unless they needed external CC info, for buying items.

Facebook and social media is a no-brainier, but those have their own compliant privacy policies. Complaining about "log in" is childish.

Are these games making kids play online? If that is the case, then full name, and other verifiable information is REQUIRED so they can prove they are not connecting creepy adult TO minors. For LEO purposes almost every kid site HAS to have audit able information. Maybe somebody didn't do the proper "get your parent to fill out" wording.

I'd want screen shots in context before jumping to "ZOMG privacy violations".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.