Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
dynalmadman
macrumors member

Great deals on iPad 4's, open box @ Best Buy

Just picked up an open box iPad 4, wifi only, 32 gb, black for $503.

All accessories and no visible damage.

That's $96 off new. I'll take that any day. And they had at least 3 more in the back.

Check your BBs guys, can't beat that deal.

Michael
dynalmadman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Nice find!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:22 PM   #3
flavr
macrumors 6502

Same here! Got an iPad 4 32 GB Black for $535 and another $60 off on top of that ($485) for Black Friday...perfect so far
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

I scored a 32gb Mini VZW for 55 bucks off then I cashed in 110 in reward zone money. Got it for a cool 435 when all said and done with 18 months no interest financing.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:09 PM   #5
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

$100 off? Open box? Hope you got a warranty with it -- don't be surprised if something goes wrong with it.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:13 PM   #6
jaytypes
macrumors newbie

I got a mini from sprint and they gave me $100 off since I had bought the iPhone 5 from them.
jaytypes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:54 PM   #7
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
$100 off? Open box? Hope you got a warranty with it -- don't be surprised if something goes wrong with it.
AppleCare would back it up for a year.
rgarjr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:38 PM   #8
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Open box means someone opened the box then returned it for any number of reasons...it's doesn't mean defective. It also goes through a series of tests before being resold. In the event something does go wrong, they replace it or apple care steps in replaces. Mine is perfect, well worth the $115 savings...got a 32GB for less than a 16
flavr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:43 AM   #9
dazz87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
Open box means someone opened the box then returned it for any number of reasons...it's doesn't mean defective. It also goes through a series of tests before being resold. In the event something does go wrong, they replace it or apple care steps in replaces. Mine is perfect, well worth the $115 savings...got a 32GB for less than a 16
so you telling me that bestbuy run a series of tests before putting back on the shelves????? BS...... we r talking about same bestbuy right? I remember telling the person at bestbuy when I return my iPad the they should return my iPad back to apple cause it was a hardware issue ( random lock up). but chances are they going to put it back on the shelves later that night. hey purchasing open item is all about lucky. I rather spend that extra 90 bucks for a brand new one, but that's just me
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:13 AM   #10
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
so you telling me that bestbuy run a series of tests before putting back on the shelves????? BS...... we r talking about same bestbuy right? I remember telling the person at bestbuy when I return my iPad the they should return my iPad back to apple cause it was a hardware issue ( random lock up). but chances are they going to put it back on the shelves later that night. hey purchasing open item is all about lucky. I rather spend that extra 90 bucks for a brand new one, but that's just me
You can buy an open box one from best buy and claim there's a "defect" to apple and get a brand new replacement. It makes no sense not to get an open box iPad 4. You're saving hella money by doing it and getting the full warranty.
joeshmo2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:28 AM   #11
Lindsford
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I buy open box Apple stuff all the time. It's always backed by Apple Care from the day I purchase.
Lindsford is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:34 AM   #12
urkel
macrumors 68010

30 day return policy (longer for holiday)
Full AppleCare Warranty
Severely discounted price

People can be such whiners when it comes to Best Buy. An open box iPad is not a Best Buy product, its an Apple product that is sold at Best Buy. If its defective then either return it or go to an apple store to have them fix/replace it.

I can understand why people prefer to buy new, but to me that extra 20% people pay for a new one Is just for the shrink wrap.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:53 AM   #13
technopimp
macrumors 6502

Not to mention, you can still return an open box item just the same as any other item. If there's something so glaringly wrong with the iPad that the original purchaser returned it right away, do you think you wouldn't also notice the same thing within your 30 day return window?

But hey, if people want to spend more money for the exact same thing, more power to them.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:17 AM   #14
CaneCollegeboy
macrumors regular

Bestbuy open items are a great deal but with one caveat:

Apple doesn't care that your the second owner they just go by 30 days after the original purchase and if you out side of that time frame you have no chance of getting apple care + for the ipad. Everything else is no problem and some people prefer going with square insurance or dont get insurance at all. All of that said Best Buy has been great with me
CaneCollegeboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:49 PM   #15
MacDadd3
macrumors newbie

I'm a big fan of open box deals or any type of deals on gadgets. I don't think I've paid full price on an apple product ever. I usually buy open box items and inspect them to make sure they are fine, If I see anything wrong I either take it up with apple or best buy.

On another note, I had best buy price match Micro Center for the iPad 4 after exchanging an iPad mini and they only charged tax on the difference, in essence I got an iPad 4 for 455.
MacDadd3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:33 PM   #16
tataocb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDadd3 View Post
On another note, I had best buy price match Micro Center for the iPad 4 after exchanging an iPad mini and they only charged tax on the difference, in essence I got an iPad 4 for 455.
How did you get Best Buy to match the price of Micro Center? I called today and asked and they told be they wouldn't match the price since Micro Center was not an Apple authorized dealer.
tataocb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:48 AM   #17
MacDadd3
macrumors newbie

I would just show up to best buy and get one of the guys to bring you the ipad 4, when at the register show them the price on your cell phone. But I'm sure just like everywhere, price matching policies seem to vary by location and employee.

It's hard for them to turn down a sale when it's already about to be processed. And I don't believe that unauthorized seller BS. You could also try target and Walmart price match if your best buy are being jerks.
MacDadd3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 AM   #18
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
I worked at BBY and have purchased open box items - there's nothing wrong with them, and if you find something wrong, BBY replaces it. Open box is the way to go.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDadd3 View Post
I would just show up to best buy and get one of the guys to bring you the ipad 4, when at the register show them the price on your cell phone. But I'm sure just like everywhere, price matching policies seem to vary by location and employee.

It's hard for them to turn down a sale when it's already about to be processed. And I don't believe that unauthorized seller BS. You could also try target and Walmart price match if your best buy are being jerks.
I was told to spew all kinds of random stuff about not matching Microcenter's prices, so not sure what the real reasons are. Just know that BBY will match just about any other brick-and-mortar store price, except Microcenter - though from what I was told, the common factors all centered around MC not selling brand new Apple products, but repackaged ones.

That being said, I matched plenty of MC prices while at BBY - had a great supervisor who would let us.

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:20 PM   #19
davideotape
macrumors 6502

I bought something from best buy as an open box, and it didn't work- they allowed me to return it the next day, but didn't allow me to exchange it for another, new non-open box one. I kinda needed it so I paid the extra $30.

Did I get hosed?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #20
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I've purchased several items open boxed from Best Buy, to me it is worth it.

This year alone I got an iPad 3 for $70 off retail and my iPhone 5 for a bargain. They had a white iPhone 5 64gb and when the salesman rang it up he decided to give me the 16gb pricing, plus 10 percent off. I had a upgrade bonus from best buy worth $50 so I got an open box iPhone 5, 64gb for $129.99 plus tax on the full price ($899). Not bad.

Plus, my iPad from best buy did have some defects, it is already replaced by Apple when I replicated the defects to the Genius. The new one I got is flawless.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideotape View Post
I bought something from best buy as an open box, and it didn't work- they allowed me to return it the next day, but didn't allow me to exchange it for another, new non-open box one. I kinda needed it so I paid the extra $30.

Did I get hosed?
After my last post saying how great my Apple purchases open box have been from Best Buy. I wanted to follow up on your post.

I had the same thing happen to me, I bought my fridge open box, yet during delivery, the Best Buy crew dented the heck out of the front. Best Buy only gave me the option of paying up the difference to get the same fridge new. I was not happy with this as they were the ones that caused the damage, not me. I decided to get back in the store and found a different open box and made sure it was in good condition when shipped to me from store.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
30 day return policy (longer for holiday)
Full AppleCare Warranty
Severely discounted price

People can be such whiners when it comes to Best Buy. An open box iPad is not a Best Buy product, its an Apple product that is sold at Best Buy. If its defective then either return it or go to an apple store to have them fix/replace it.

I can understand why people

I prefer to buy new, but to me that extra 20% people pay for a new one Is just for the shrink wrap.
I always buy Open Box FIRST !!!

If I like it, I return it and buy a BRAND NEW one.

I know I prefer new, and I know if I do not like a product I will return it.

Nobody get's hurt when I buy an Open Box and return it to buy Brand New.

On the other hand if I buy Brand New , don't like it and return it the store gets stuck with another Open Box item to mess with.

I take it home and play with it for a week or so.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideotape View Post

Did I get hosed?
Why should they allow you to exchange a discounted Open Box item for a non discounted Brand New item?

Sounds to me like they allowed you to return the Open Box, gave you a full refund of the PURCHASE PRICE ( which is all you are entitled to ) .... but you wanted them to give you MORE than you paid them.

You did not get hosed by BestBuy, but BestBuy did prevent themselves from getting hosed by you.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad