Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:40 AM   #26
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000
 
JetBlack7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portugal
I remember watching a comparison between both phones on Techno Buffalo. Regarding Specs and rounding up numbers, the S3 has better specs but in terms of performance and benchmarks, the iPhone 5 beat the S3.
__________________
iPhone 5S Space Gray 32GB Game Center ID: JetBlack7
JetBlack7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:10 AM   #27
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
I tried out the Samsung Galaxy S3 against iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, the phone I enjoyed the most would be the one I kept, I gave them all a chance over a month or so. Previously I have had iPhones 3GS, 4, 4S and 5. In the end I sold both the iPhones. I haven't regretted my decision.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:14 AM   #28
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack7 View Post
I remember watching a comparison between both phones on Techno Buffalo. Regarding Specs and rounding up numbers, the S3 has better specs but in terms of performance and benchmarks, the iPhone 5 beat the S3.
You must be referring to this one. I saw it too, and I think it's quite a fair comparison.


Last edited by Beeplance; Dec 17, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #29
nizmoz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I owned a gs3 and now a iPhone 5. iPhone hands down much better phone.
nizmoz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:38 AM   #30
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Galaxy S3 on the basis it has the far superior operating system and doesn't get boring after a week
nickchallis92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:03 AM   #31
FlingZXC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I prefer gaming experience to performance . Although iPhone won Slll in performance , but you can't really see the difference in gaming . And iPhone uses cached multitasking while Slll uses true multitasking . Can't really compare much .
FlingZXC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:59 AM   #32
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
I think the S3 feels better in my hand, but I have man hands. Do you really think that everyone on the planet has the same size hands? If you think that anything placed on someone's hand feels exactly the same when placed in another person's hand, then you are kidding yourself. I like the size. The iPhone in an OtterBox was good also but still felt small in my hand. I had all the iPhones on launch day except the 5. Still have a couple in the family. I was ready for a truly larger screen for my use. My wife was not. But she sold her 5 and went back to her 4S because of all the issues.
Typical Samsung defensive statement. You brought size into the argument and that's not even what I was talking about man. Seriously. I didn't even mention it. I was talking about the build quality and feeling in your hand of the iPhone vs. Galaxy.
__________________
Out Of Warranty Replacements: (North America)
iPads: Mini; $219. 4th gen; $299. 3rd gen; $299, 2nd gen; $249. 1st gen; $229
iPhones: 5S; $269. 5C; $269 5; $229. 4S; $199. 4, 3GS, 3G, 1st gen; $169.
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:20 AM   #33
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Typical Samsung defensive statement. You brought size into the argument and that's not even what I was talking about man. Seriously. I didn't even mention it. I was talking about the build quality and feeling in your hand of the iPhone vs. Galaxy.
To be fair, the size of the device also plays a role in how it feels in your hand.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.


And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.
You say stuff like 10X better and 10X less malware and then actually go ahead and claim these to be hard facts? Come on man. At least try to appear non-biased.

BTW, Nexus devices get updates right away.
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:07 PM   #34
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
10x better

1) Ecosystem:
Fact 1: Better and more exclusive apps. Better and more exclusive games.
Fact 2: Non-exclusive apps and games come out first on the iPhone, in most times months before Android.

Generally speaking, all big and small design houses and game studios either don't give a ratsass about Android or treat it like a second-rate citizen. May be that will change in 5 years but this is how it is now.

2) Security:
Stricter App Store review process and 10 times less malware.

3) Support:
You will be waiting very very long for that new shiny Android update that Google has just rolled out. On iOS? You get the latest and greatest a few seconds later.


And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could talk about things like elegance, ease of use, details etc but this is all subjective. A nerd for example might not care or appreciate that but the first 3 points I listed are hard facts.
In my experience non exclusive apps are better on Android due to iOS restrictions.

Dropbox for example, "automatic" upload requires me to "manually" open the app. You can share to dropbox from messages but not the camera roll. Why? Same goes with Google drive in iOS.

You can't default anything. So if you like chrome or atomic browser you are going to be thrown into safari on ever link click. Same applies to camera+, pretty much a waste of money. Plus saving from a 3rd party camera roll requires user instruction every time.

Files are saved with apps like videos off the web played in a player. I can't view this file with other apps? Maybe I can its certainly not user friendly.

I think a lot of apps are prettier however iOS restrictions can cripple them in function. You'll never see an automation app like tasker on iOS. The phone setting to silent when I get to work via GPS location is just smart. Why hasn't apple made a native app for this yet?
cynics is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:15 PM   #35
Sylon
macrumors 68000
 
Sylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan/Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
The Nexus 4 looks great if you're with a GSM carrier like AT&T though. A Verizon customer wouldn't be able to use the Nexus 4.
Good info, I did not know that.




As for the battle of iPhone vs GS3, we could argue this forever, but it will come down to personal preference.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro | 32GB iPhone 4S | 32GB iPad Air | TV
16GB Samsung GS4 | 16GB Nexus 4 | 16GB Nexus 7
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:21 PM   #36
AppleMaster9
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadillac View Post
The iPhone unless you want a big phone. Samsung took every feature the iPhone had and ghettoized it (S-Voice). Blantantly ripped it. It has NFC but who ever uses that?
You best be trollin'.
AppleMaster9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:46 PM   #37
Markyboy81
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
It's all down to personal preference. If you want a more customisable experience and value features such as usb otg, expandable memory or a removable battery, then go for the Samsung.
I have a galaxy s3 but I can accept that the iphone is the better phone in terms of build quality and user experience (for the average user). However, the iphone 5 costs around twice the price so of course it should be better
Markyboy81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:49 PM   #38
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
that kadillac guy needs to get a grip
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:20 PM   #39
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601
 
Compile 'em all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
In my experience non exclusive apps are better on Android due to iOS restrictions.

Dropbox for example, "automatic" upload requires me to "manually" open the app. You can share to dropbox from messages but not the camera roll. Why? Same goes with Google drive in iOS.

You can't default anything. So if you like chrome or atomic browser you are going to be thrown into safari on ever link click. Same applies to camera+, pretty much a waste of money. Plus saving from a 3rd party camera roll requires user instruction every time.

Files are saved with apps like videos off the web played in a player. I can't view this file with other apps? Maybe I can its certainly not user friendly.

I think a lot of apps are prettier however iOS restrictions can cripple them in function. You'll never see an automation app like tasker on iOS. The phone setting to silent when I get to work via GPS location is just smart. Why hasn't apple made a native app for this yet?
I agree on some, and some not. Restricting is always a double-edged sword but it is necessary. Something like being able to select a default browser makes zero sense when 99.9% of your users use the default web browser.

I am pretty sure iOS7 will have some sort of inter-process communication where third party apps can communicate and integrate better. We will see. But so far, most of the issues you listed don't matter to the avg. iPhone user.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
To be fair, the size of the device also plays a role in how it feels in your hand.

----------



You say stuff like 10X better and 10X less malware and then actually go ahead and claim these to be hard facts? Come on man. At least try to appear non-biased.

BTW, Nexus devices get updates right away.
I really don't need to waste time googling for you. Not a month will pass by without some exploit here, some malware there. The reality is that the Android market is poorly regulated and apps can request insane privileges to your system.
__________________
Compile 'em all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:34 PM   #40
siiip5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadillac View Post
The iPhone unless you want a big phone. Samsung took every feature the iPhone had and ghettoized it (S-Voice). Blantantly ripped it. It has NFC but who ever uses that?
Or we could look at it another way. Apple took every feature of Google's Android OS and created blatant and ghetto rip offs, like say iMaps, Notification Center, split Keyboard, Priority (aka VIP) inbox, and so on.

Of course, Samsung has multi-screen capability, picture in picture video capability, nfc and Google Wallet capability, a fully adjustable camera with burst and best shot capability, smart stay ensures the screen doesn't go to sleep if you are looking at it, wireless charging capability, and of course more RAM, SD card capability for more storage and so on.
So which of these things did Samsung rip-off from Apple? Oh, that's right, iPhones can't or don't have any of these features.
siiip5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:39 PM   #41
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
I agree on some, and some not. Restricting is always a double-edged sword but it is necessary. Something like being able to select a default browser makes zero sense when 99.9% of your users use the default web browser.
Oh, the Microsoft argument. Please.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:19 PM   #42
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
I agree on some, and some not. Restricting is always a double-edged sword but it is necessary. Something like being able to select a default browser makes zero sense when 99.9% of your users use the default web browser.

I am pretty sure iOS7 will have some sort of inter-process communication where third party apps can communicate and integrate better. We will see. But so far, most of the issues you listed don't matter to the avg. iPhone user.

----------



I really don't need to waste time googling for you. Not a month will pass by without some exploit here, some malware there. The reality is that the Android market is poorly regulated and apps can request insane privileges to your system.
99.9% of ios users don't have a choice. I find safari completely lack luster and featureless. But yet I use it because I'm defaulted there and instead of trying to remember which browser I had which tab opened in I use safari. On android I use dolphin browser because I like it the most, stock browser has never been opened. I don't see how improved user experience makes no sense. It's not like you HAVE to do it, just use the stock browser if you don't want to be bothered with choice.

I really hope iOS 7 brings something new to the table. I'm a little nervous being a 4S user I'm going to get left out of a good feature though.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:50 PM   #43
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Performance Wise the iPhone 5 is unbeatable by any other device out there currently.

Specs mean nothing and are simply there for marketing. I will refer you to the most knowledgeable reviewer i know out there. In terms of CPU, Battery life, GPU, screen quality, Build Quality and camera the iPhone 5 comes out on top. I highly advise you to read the whole review below as he uses benchmarks and compares the iPhone 5 with other phones. 90% of the time the I5 is at the top. Also beats the note 2 which boasts even "better specs"xD and 3 times the battery size yet has less battery life irl. The graphs make direct comparisons with other handsets including the S3. The S3 is actually way behind the I5 in performance. The Motorola phones are much better in performance especiialy battery life. You have to think that the S3 is 6+months old.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:19 PM   #44
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
Specs mean nothing and are simply there for marketing. I will refer you to the most knowledgeable reviewer i know out there. In terms of CPU, Battery life, GPU, screen quality, Build Quality and camera the iPhone 5 comes out on top. I highly advise you to read the whole review below as he uses benchmarks and compares the iPhone 5 with other phones. 90% of the time the I5 is at the top. Also beats the note 2 which boasts even "better specs"xD and 3 times the battery size yet has less battery life irl. The graphs make direct comparisons with other handsets including the S3. The S3 is actually way behind the I5 in performance. The Motorola phones are much better in performance especiialy battery life. You have to think that the S3 is 6+months old.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review
This from the AnandTech who flip flops battery life results more often than a politician flip flops on taxes? Here is just one example of many, look at these two charts showing wildly different battery life wifi web browsing results for the iPhone 4S. On one chart, AnandTech says it goes for 11 hours and then in another, he says it only goes for 8.53 hours. I read all of AnandTech's reviews and one thing I've learned from him is never to trust him without verifying things myself.



SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:28 PM   #45
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
This from the AnandTech who flip flops battery life results more often than a politician flip flops on taxes? Here is just one example of many, look at these two charts showing wildly different battery life wifi web browsing results for the iPhone 4S. On one chart, AnandTech says it goes for 11 hours and then in another, he says it only goes for 8.53 hours. I read all of AnandTech's reviews and one thing I've learned from him is never to trust him without verifying things myself.

Image

Image
Wow you really have no idea, they are different benchmarks! -__- The first one obviously tests different to the second one but its all relative.

They are even different models as well of the 4S.
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:37 PM   #46
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
Wow you really have no idea, they are different benchmarks! -__- The first one obviously tests different to the second one but its all relative.

They are even different models as well of the 4S.
You have no idea. Both graphs list the 4S and the second graph is from the iPhone 5 GSM phone comparison test. When his battery life results vary so wildly for every phone from test to test, you really have to wonder just what he is testing.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:39 PM   #47
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadillac View Post
The iPhone unless you want a big phone. Samsung took every feature the iPhone had and ghettoized it (S-Voice). Blantantly ripped it. It has NFC but who ever uses that?
Apple also "kinda" ripped Android's swipe to reveal notifications center...

Also you do realize that NFC is more than just mobile payments right?

Anyway, I had a friend get a GSIII over an iPhone 5. He says he likes iPhone 5 more because he had a iPod touch before so he's more used to how it works, but Android completely destroys iOS in terms of options. That's why he chose it.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:47 PM   #48
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
You have no idea. Both graphs list the 4S and the second graph is from the iPhone 5 GSM phone comparison test. When his battery life results vary so wildly for every phone from test to test, you really have to wonder just what he is testing.
Did you even read my comment. Different benchmarks test differently. Obviously the benchmark that had the 4S battery at higher could have turned off notifications and 3G and put brightness down to 0%. The one that produced lower results could have had everything on and brightness 100%. Its all relative. And its not HIS battery life tests he is just using data from benchmarks and inserting them into the review. If i asked you to record how many hours you battery life lasted on continuous music how would you do it? You might turn 3G off, i might not. I hope you understand what i am saying.
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:47 PM   #49
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
I agree on some, and some not. Restricting is always a double-edged sword but it is necessary. Something like being able to select a default browser makes zero sense when 99.9% of your users use the default web browser.
Really? Where are those stats to support your claim? In three years, ive hardly used the stock browser and now never do. Must be one of those "10 X" type of things eh?
Quote:
I am pretty sure iOS7 will have some sort of inter-process communication where third party apps can communicate and integrate better. We will see. But so far, most of the issues you listed don't matter to the avg. iPhone user.
Your pretty sure? Or are you hoping like everyone was before iOS 6 came out?

Quote:
I really don't need to waste time googling for you. Not a month will pass by without some exploit here, some malware there. The reality is that the Android market is poorly regulated and apps can request insane privileges to your system.
Again, Ive been using Android for over 3 years and havent had any malware issues at all. In fact, i fail to see any evidense that you claim it is so rampant, it will show up monthly

Its not really a waste of time to Google something that you really have no knowledge about. It sure would make you look better than the blatant BS you are spewing now.

Looks like your just pulling statements out of your rear end and exaggerating 10X over.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Dec 17, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:54 PM   #50
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604
 
Digital Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Typical Samsung defensive statement. You brought size into the argument and that's not even what I was talking about man. Seriously. I didn't even mention it. I was talking about the build quality and feeling in your hand of the iPhone vs. Galaxy.
I always loved the way the iPhone felt in my hands, but it always feels like it will last one drop before its cracked.

If Apple had put the iPhone on Sprint i may have been an iPhone user til the day I died but I am grateful they didnt. That helped me to explore my options and see that iOS is truly the most stalest OS in the market. It wreaks of Palm 5.1 and was torn apart by Gingerbread. Now with Jellybean youd have to be a die hard user to not see the need for a dire refresh.
Digital Skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used iPhone 4S vs new Samsung Galaxy III Mini Dr. McKay Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Sep 17, 2013 07:46 PM
My iPhone - Wife's Samsung Galaxy S III SevengerNC Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 81 Nov 15, 2012 09:07 PM
iPhone 5 May be WaterProof as well as Samsung G III Wicked1 iPhone 12 Jun 22, 2012 01:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC