Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
John Snow
macrumors newbie

Will Apple replace my Magsafe charger?

Hello,

I have a MBP that is from 2010, and had the first charger for about a year and a half-ish. The same thing happened but bought a new one since I thought it was my fault. But the one I currently have is splitting and has some of the yellow discoloration on the cord by the connector (also about a year and a half old). As you can see in the pictures.

I haven't went to the apple store yet or tried calling since I did get my charger in the U.S. and I have been in New Zealand for the past year. Would they replace it or what do you all suggest?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	383457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	383458  
John Snow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:53 PM   #2
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

It's worth asking. Is an Apple store located near you?
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
alphaod
macrumors Core

If you don't want to go to an Apple Store, call AppleCare and tell them your power cord is fraying; they'll probably replace it even if you are out of warranty.

I have to wonder sometimes what you guys do to cause this? Of all my computers I've never had this issue. Not with the old plastic T-connectors, not with the L connector, and not with the new aluminium T-connectors.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
efirmage
macrumors member

You'd probably have better luck at an Apple store than over the phone, unless you're covered by Apple Care, in which case they'd cover it for you. If you do call make sure you emphasize that it is frayed and not accidental damage.
efirmage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
John Snow
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses I think there is one about 20mins away. I think the apple store here is a Apple Authorised Service Provider. So I am not sure if they would do it.

I use it normal, I'm pretty sure? Maybe sometimes I put a little tug and strain on it and it might cause it? I think I might need to get a 3 pronged one instead of the 2 pronged one with the block, so I can have some stretch. But I may try the store, just need to find a way there. If not I'll call them.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:17 PM   #6
John Snow
macrumors newbie

So I am about to call apple New Zealand. What/ how should I explain it over the phone to them about my charger to hopefully get a replacement?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Snow View Post
So I am about to call apple New Zealand. What/ how should I explain it over the phone to them about my charger to hopefully get a replacement?
I'd tell them the cable looks burned and is splitting near the MagSafe connector. Let them know your worried it may short out.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:55 PM   #8
John Snow
macrumors newbie

So I just rang and said that. My response is to go into a apple store with a receipt for proof purchase and also under a year warranty. If not I have to buy a new one..awesome pretty sure mines over a year. Thanks apple..
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:57 PM   #9
blueroom
macrumors 603

We got ours replaced under AppleCare. YMMV
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro