Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
Apple will soon realize that there is a big market for a 'phablet' device. Believe me.

3 iPhone sizes (4", 4.8", 5.5") would be great.

Don't fail our expectations, Apple!
-------
I'm hoping I can have a 5.5" iPhone Pro by 2014.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The main issue with Apple Maps is the data, not the app. And the data is already improving (I have noticed POI updates).

And now Google has just release it's stand alone Maps app for iOS, just put it on my 3Gs and it looks good, not used the Apple Maps so can't compare.

Either way there is now a new option for Maps on iOS.

Retrosonic

macrumors regular
May 13, 2009
Multi Size iphones

Apple will soon realize that there is a big market for a 'phablet' device. Believe me.3 iPhone sizes (4", 4.8", 5.5") would be great.

>>>>Absolutely.
I have the iphone 4, and now I'm eligible for an upgrade. While I have enjoyed the iphone 4, the screen is simply too darn small for reading on a bus or a train. What bothers me the most is all the front panel real estate that is WASTED. All that front should have been screen with any buttons on the side.

I've been visiting my Verizon store this week looking at various phones and I looked long and hard at the iphone 5. I'm very, very very disapointed in the iphone5. The screen is only marginally bigger than the iphone 4. To me, the screen should have been longer and just a bit wider to bring it in scope with many of the Anroid phones. And once again, there is too much wasted space on the front panel. It should have all been "screen".

While I love the iphone, I'm giving strong thought to move to an Android phone that is at least 4.8, quad core snapdragon, and holds a SD card.

If i thought that iphone 5s and /or 6 would have a 4.8 screen I'd wait, but I'm quite sure it wont. For some reason, Apple has a mental block about large screen phones.

----------

mattlol

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
I find none of what this "analyst" says to be even remotely plausible. The increased storage option? Maybe. But NFC, 4.8" screen, multiple color options? Doesn't seem Apple like IMO. It took Apple 5 generations of the iPhone to increase the screen size a whole half inch. Now they're going to increase it by an additional 0.8 inches in 6 months?

Did you even read the article? It states the iphone 6, which would follow the 5S, would have the alleged 4.8in screen. Going by apple's release history the 6 would be released roughly *two years* from the release of the 5. no idea where you got 6 months from.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I was actually a bit curious on how this transfer by touching phones worked, but not curious enough to go read about it :)

I figured to be as instantaneous as they show, it must only be sending some for of link or shortcut, but that would imply using the same account (in the case of the wife and kids passing vids to the husband/father), but they also indicated he should watch it on the plane where one would not have cell service.

As to the actual topic, I don't see many of these predictions coming true.

Pause the commercial next time to read "transfer times may vary"...yep, they will!

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Fingers crossed that they do bring out a iPhone 128GB
With apple pattern they normally change there smaller devices first then changer the bigger devices last
Then we should see the same happen to the iPad mini and 9'7 inch iPad
The extra space would be great for me to store more movies and music
for when traveling.

As long as the base $199 phone moves to the bottom at 32GB....I used to always buy 32GB but just can not justify the price, so on my 5 went to 16GB and after the iOS I am left with a bare 13.4, I wish they would give us 16GB if it says 16, the Galaxy SIII starts with 16 but the user only gets 12GB, kind of crappy since we can not change the size due to the OS anyway. to me the 64 and 128GB model is overkill but I know there are those who are really driving for it and can use the space.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
As long as the base $199 phone moves to the bottom at 32GB....I used to always buy 32GB but just can not justify the price, so on my 5 went to 16GB and after the iOS I am left with a bare 13.4, I wish they would give us 16GB if it says 16, the Galaxy SIII starts with 16 but the user only gets 12GB, kind of crappy since we can not change the size due to the OS anyway. to me the 64 and 128GB model is overkill but I know there are those who are really driving for it and can use the space.

I would always get the 32GB model or up unless you plan on using the device very little. After the OS takes the space it needs, and each manufacturer puts in their various apps, you aren't left with much.

Now, the one advantage over the other handsets is the SD slot. My Note 2 has a total of 80GBs (~72GB) left after I dropped a 64GB class 10 inside.

noxiousone

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Apple shorting the cycle to 6 moths just to be more competitive - that plausible. 128GB storage - not this year, but sooner or later. 4.8" screen and coming in 6 to 8 colors - that's just not Apple!

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
They tell us 4" is just right yet they have 4"8 in the pipeline I find it funny..

I reckon there just paranoid everybody goes for bigger Android phones. The Galaxy has already failed by having to release smaller one after there flagship one was well known for being just too BIG! :rolleyes:

The galaxy s3 mini is for people on a budget. Not so much the screen size. And honestly i do not know 1 person who has brought a mini. I have small hands and I use my 5.5 galaxy note 2 just fine.

Iphone needs to go bigger and wider. Whenever I hold an iphone in my hand it just feels so small now.

I think apple needs to have some variety of size phones.

----------

Apple will soon realize that there is a big market for a 'phablet' device. Believe me.

-------

Ditto

A 5.5 iphone with a sd card slot would bring me back to the iphone family.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Perhaps with Apple having faster launch cycles we will see an iPhone with a larger screen.

Once the iPhone 5 becomes the lowest tier (like the iPhone 4 now), I think we'll probably see a 4.3 or 4.5 iPhone.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney

-------

Just because a few million people buy a 5 inch phone, doesn't mean that the other dozens of millions of users will buy a 5 inch phone.

----------

Ditto

A 5.5 iphone with a sd card slot would bring me back to the iphone family.

Too bad a lack of 5.5 inch iphone w a sd card slot is not enough to keep you away from this forum. What's your account on XDA?

Renzatic

Suspended
Just because a few million people buy a 5 inch phone, doesn't mean that the other dozens of millions of users will buy a 5 inch phone.

I doubt Apple would release a 5 inch phone, since that'd cut too close to iPad Mini territory. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they released a 4.5"-ish phone sometime in the near future. It's large enough to allow for more comfortable internet usage, but still small enough to fit in your pocket and control it solely with your thumb.

The industry is heading towards bigger screens, and right now, the iPhone is looking a little on the anemic side of things.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I think lots of people who use the internet on their iphones a lot would want a 5 inch Iphone.

I don't want a Samsung Galaxy, but I use the internet so much... it's a pain that the display is so small as it is (I have 4S). I have big fingers!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

And that's the problem with Apple only giving us one option. Personally I'd prefer to still have the same size screen as the iPhone 1-4s. I can live with the 4" but don't particularly care for it, and definitely wouldn't buy anything bigger, however if other people want to use tablets for phones they can go right ahead. Hopefully if Apple decides to keep increasing the screen size they start offering multiple options...

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
I have had iPhone since the first gen but now I think the screen is to small. I also got galaxy s3 and love the screen size. So I for one wouldn't mind a 4'5 or 4.8 screen. Allot of people who has used smartphone for a while tend to want bigger screen....
I wish apple could consider releasing 2 models. One same as now and one with 4.8. I know they never do this but one can hope.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think the biggest feature for the iPhone 5S will be iOS 7 (assuming that iOS 7 will have some drastic changes).

Don't really see what other hardware features Apple could add...

Better chip and camera, IGZO display, improved LTE and battery. Nothing really that interesting.

128GB I can't really see, NFC wasn't supported on the iPhone 5 do to its design, and colors I can see but not important.

If Apple releases a larger display then I might consider.

Unless iPhone 5S/iOS 7 is a real step up, I'll either continuing using my good ol' iPhone 4 or switch to Android.

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
I think the biggest feature for the iPhone 5S will be iOS 7 (assuming that iOS 7 will have some drastic changes).

Don't really see what other hardware features Apple could add...

Better chip and camera, IGZO display, improved LTE and battery. Nothing really that interesting.

128GB I can't really see, NFC wasn't supported on the iPhone 5 do to its design, and colors I can see but not important.

If Apple releases a larger display then I might consider.

Unless iPhone 5S/iOS 7 is a real step up, I'll either continuing using my good ol' iPhone 4 or switch to Android.

I actually changed to android but as much As I like it is buggy and sometimes the features does not work so now I'm back to iPhone5. Overall I'm more pleased to use the iPhone even though android offer more features. When simplest features like copy paste and browsing and editing videos work do badly I'm not going to use my galaxy s3 as My main phone. But sure I agree that ios7 needs much more feature...
For instance Bluetooth file transfer would be a great addition or why adding more options in the pull pulldown menu like enabling and disabling Bluetooth /wifi etc.

----------

Grrr why can't I edit my own post :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.