Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:55 PM   #26
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
More time and energy wasted trying to reinvent the wheel.

Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.

Problem solved.

Mark
If it's fully integrated with Siri, I'm all for it.
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:01 PM   #27
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
If it's fully integrated with Siri, I'm all for it.
Heard you can force it to bring up transit directions for you.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/16/how-to...king-required/
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:03 PM   #28
jontech
macrumors 6502

IOS has the most compete mapping choices of any environment
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:07 PM   #29
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Not trying to be sarcastic, but I miss him already. Can you guys imagine Jony Ive on stage to walk us through iOS 7? I've never seen him on stage during keynotes before.
It could be Craig though...

Craig did OS X demos multiple times and now he's in charge of OS X and iOS.

Ive is more of a behind-the-scenes guy.

Or it could be Phil. He basically can do anything

-iWork for iPad
-iPhones, iPods, iPads
-Mac hardware

Or it could be Eddy Cue. He might demo Maps, Siri, iCould stuff.
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:14 PM   #30
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
It could be Craig though...

Craig did OS X demos multiple times and now he's in charge of OS X and iOS.

Ive is more of a behind-the-scenes guy.

Or it could be Phil. He basically can do anything

-iWork for iPad
-iPhones, iPods, iPads
-Mac hardware

Or it could be Eddy Cue. He might demo Maps, Siri, iCould stuff.
Yeah I like Craig and Eddy for keynotes, both of them do presentations really well.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:15 PM   #31
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

we already have accurate locations to starbucks or any place those hippies are hanging out. this is dumb.
d4rkc4sm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:24 PM   #32
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah I like Craig and Eddy for keynotes, both of them do presentations really well.
I like Craig too, although I felt kinda bad for him when he demoed Mountain Lion gestures. No need to be so nervous, buddy!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:25 PM   #33
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShort View Post
This is only good for a few countries, in UK foursquare is big. Foursquare is not big in Australia.
It's so easy to become the Mayor of anything in Australia with Foursquare.

At least Apple realise they need to put more effort into mapping and data collection than what they assumed was okay for launch.
Australians can't even read road signs or elect a government that produces an accurate guide, and then in turn blames the result of their faulty information on Apple. Being the mayor of their local coffee shop shouldn't be a priority for them IMHO.
Kaibelf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:26 PM   #34
minik
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
People still use Foursquare?
I love Foursquare. It has some good features and user friendly.

Steve Wozniak is one of them.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:30 PM   #35
kmpoboy2
macrumors 6502

Man, sometimes it's hard to understand the users here.

Since September you can't enter the forum without spotting a topic on how awful maps is and how apple isn't fixing it quick enough.

Now, a rumor comes out that apple it's trying something to try and fix it and people complaint because there trying to fix it.

If you guys have ever used foursquare before, you know how accurate the data is and it's well maintained by they're users.
kmpoboy2 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:33 PM   #36
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Australians can't even read road signs or elect a government that produces an accurate guide, and then in turn blames the result of their faulty information on Apple. Being the mayor of their local coffee shop shouldn't be a priority for them IMHO.
you may want to find the person that keeps ******** in your wheaties
uknowimright is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:34 PM   #37
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.
I don't don't think you understand how deep the roots go for Apple's Maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
Finally.

Using Foursquare means user-generated content. It is MUCH more accurate than Yelp and is always up to date because the users ensure it is.

I love Foursquare. So happy to see this.

EDIT: FWIW, Foursqare was added to the App Store Hall of Fame this year.
I've used Gowalla and other services but Foursquare has been the best and most accurate. I wouldn't mind Apple just flat out buying Foursquare. I want to buy coffee with my Apple ID! I jest ...I think?

Quote:

Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.

Problem solved.

Mark
Not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpoboy2 View Post
Man, sometimes it's hard to understand the users here.

Since September you can't enter the forum without spotting a topic on how awful maps is and how apple isn't fixing it quick enough.

Now, a rumor comes out that apple it's trying something to try and fix it and people complaint because there trying to fix it.

If you guys have ever used foursquare before, you know how accurate the data is and it's well maintained by they're users.
Don't get confused. Not everyone here wants to see Apple succeed and some will go at length to downplay any positive news concerning Apple.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:35 PM   #38
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonkingDeal View Post
For me the last two updates of IOS (5 & 6) have been disappointing in new features.... Beta SIRI & BETA Maps. They jumped the shark when they touted Facebook integrations as a major feature

Let's hope that this will get better with the next version....
The whole point of the "jumped the shark" reference is that it's only downhill from that point.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:40 PM   #39
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
The whole point of the "jumped the shark" reference is that it's only downhill from that point.
I'm well aware of that.... They are starting to look like Microsoft.
BigHonkingDeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:47 PM   #40
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
I like Craig too, although I felt kinda bad for him when he demoed Mountain Lion gestures. No need to be so nervous, buddy!
Lol yeah, everyone was giggling at his Game Center ID: Hair Force One... Hahaha
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:50 PM   #41
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
. Can you guys imagine Jony Ive on stage to walk us through iOS 7? I've never seen him on stage during keynotes before.
You likely never will. Some folks aren't comfortable doing such things and
Sir J may be one of them. Which could be why someone else always showed the hardware.
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:56 PM   #42
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.
I disagree. I haven't had any problems with Apple Maps, and I suspect that the majority of people agree that they haven't had any problems with it. Just because 10% of people have had problems and have made noise and have been heard doesn't mean "most" people have found it so flawed that they'll never use it again.

I have downloaded Google Maps to my iPhone, but I've used Apple maps twice since and I haven't used Google Maps yet. The next time I visit Boston (in a few weeks,) I'll probably have to break out Google Maps for some transit directions, but other than that, I'll mostly be sticking with Apple Maps.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:56 PM   #43
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonkingDeal View Post
I'm well aware of that.... They are starting to look like Microsoft.
There have been big changes from iOS 4 - 6. iCloud alone would qualify as a significant update. Siri may be Beta but in all honesty it works quite well.

I don't think the average user knows what a big feature is. When prompted for what should be added most remain mute.

Most people are pretty simple. They want to surf the web, make phone calls, gather and manage email, game and take photos. At this point ,there is little revolutionary stuff that is coming until the dust settles and everyone is so bored that they are in a slumber.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:57 PM   #44
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Hmmmm.... You should read things again, and understand it the 2nd time.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:01 PM   #45
maroontiger2k9
macrumors regular

Quote:

Problem solved.

Mark
Apple should just integrate TomTom and call it a day.... i wouldnt feel good about allowing Google to just have the crown and bragging rights that apple gave up.. what happens if Google pulls the app off of the app store??

apple needs a functional app and tomtom would do it... which is already integrated with Facebook and Foursquare (social media features that i dont even use)
maroontiger2k9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:05 PM   #46
kmpoboy2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Don't get confused. Not everyone here wants to see Apple succeed and some will go at length to downplay any positive news concerning Apple.
Oh believe me, I know!

But it gets frustrating to read post after post of people complaining(granted, it's well deserved with maps) and then bi*** too when they try to fix it.

Mostly, it's the same way I feel with all the iOS wish list threads. Why ask for some feature if your going to complaint whether its implemented or not. Much like notifications center.
kmpoboy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:06 PM   #47
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

"Why is Apple creating a browser. They should just leave it up to Microsoft. They need Internet Explorer"

routinely read circa 2003.

"Apple can't beat Nokia..why are they even trying" circa 2007

In reality Apple is a LOT closer to delivering parity with Google Maps then they were in closing the gap with Microsoft's Internet Explorer with Safari 1 or Nokia with the first iPhone.

The company has a history of rapidly advancing a product. Apple Maps will be no different. By the third major revision those using Google Maps will be jaded luddites fearful of the new future.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:07 PM   #48
bkushner
macrumors regular

Quote:
Please don't confuse your opinion with actual facts.
bkushner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:08 PM   #49
michial
macrumors 6502

Early signs of Apple's life apart from Steve.
michial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:14 PM   #50
terryzx
macrumors member

Cooperation?

Why can't Apple & Google just COOPERATE and do a really good map that BOTH of them can work together on and make it the best one ever???

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion