Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Correct.
If you're using a GSM network and connected to 3G then you can be on the phone and use carrier data.
That limitation is only when its connected to a CDMA carrier.

Cool, thanks.
What about if you're traveling to europe and connect to a 4G/LTE network using a GSM simcard?

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Ok so basically it's just whenever you're using the CDMA radio. Weird that they weren't able to avoid this.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok so basically it's just whenever you're using the CDMA radio. Weird that they weren't able to avoid this.

They could but to add a 2nd radio to the device just for the few CDMA carriers I guess didnt make sense. it would take up more room and also use up more battery since it would be using the CDMA baseband for calls and LTE chip for data.
So at the moment they didnt want to make the sacrifice just for Verizon and Sprint compared to the hundreds of GSM networks the i5 is sold on.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Use almost everyday... Reason I didn't switch to Verizon...

and one of the reason i'll be leaving verizon after having it on att, yup. It's a feature that is part of the phone and i want to have the ability to use it on the go whether that means i use it a few times a week or every call

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.