Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bittnecm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I was wondering what dual drive Synology NAS people are using. Also, what would you suggest to setup a home network drive?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
All the DS2xx series do pretty much the same thing, the higher end models have more RAM and faster CPUs and optionally eSATA.
The DS7xx and higher numbered models are Intel Atom based, they're designed for the power user or small to medium business.
I have a DS212j and it's plenty powerful enough for our household.

sleek881

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Sunshine Coast, Australia
All the DS2xx series do pretty much the same thing, the higher end models have more RAM and faster CPUs and optionally eSATA.
The DS7xx and higher numbered models are Intel Atom based, they're designed for the power user or small to medium business.
I have a DS212j and it's plenty powerful enough for our household.

What size drives do you have in it and what RAID are you using?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Anything with a "+" at the end of it uses the fastest atom chips. The versions w/ ARM chips are not able to fully saturate a 1gbps connection. If that doesn't matter to you, then no need to spend the $ on the higher end version. They all run DSM, Synology's fantastic OS.

I'm going to be buying a DS1512+ in early 2013, in fact.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Thx for the link! Yeah I'm not gonna use the link aggregation at this point - more of a future proofing thing. I'm really pumped for my new NAS. Gonna start w/ 3 4TB drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.