Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbpkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
if i ordered right now , what would be the earliest i would recieve it? would the earliest be like mid january? does anybody know or can give an estimate thank you

i plan to get maxed out imac 27 btw if that makes a difference

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
if i ordered right now , what would be the earliest i would recieve it? would the earliest be like mid january? does anybody know or can give an estimate thank you

i plan to get maxed out imac 27 btw if that makes a difference
I was wondering the same thing. But is it really worth maxing out the system when it will be outdated in 3 years. Haswell (new processors) is due out in April 2013.

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
I ordered 3 days ago (also maxed out) and i am hoping to get it mid January. I think mid to late January is still a realistic guess. I dont think it makes a difference whether you customize it or not. The reason for the delay is the display and that is the same on every iMac.

Gelite55 said:
But is it really worth maxing out the system when it will be outdated in 3 years.
That could be said about any computer purchase. No matter what you get today it will be outdated in a few years.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I ordered 3 days ago (also maxed out) and i am hoping to get it mid January. I think mid to late January is still a realistic guess. I dont think it makes a difference whether you customize it or not. The reason for the delay is the display and that is the same on every iMac.

That could be said about any computer purchase. No matter what you get today it will be outdated in a few years.

Or you could play the game. Buy the base 21.5" iMac. Then in another year or so when the next one comes out selling the old one. Thus making the upgrade almost free. If you look around yes a higher spec Mac will sell for higher than a lowered spec one but not nearly what you paid for it. By buying the base model you minimize financial depreciation.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I was wondering the same thing. But is it really worth maxing out the system when it will be outdated in 3 years. Haswell (new processors) is due out in April 2013.

I ordered a top of the line iMac in 2007, and just now I'm finally feeling the need to upgrade. So I got over 5 years out of my machine. Had I bought a lower end model I probably would have upgraded sooner.

The point is, what one person may consider "Outdated" is still just fine for others. I hope to get 5+ years out of my new iMac when it arrives.

Also to answer your question about when the iMac would arrive.... 3rd week of January. Probably around the 18th or 21st.

Beardy

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I originally ordered an iMac on the day they were launched but changed my spec on the 9th and now have a broad "January" delivery expectation. I expect mid Jan.

With regards to longevity my current iMac is one of the first all aluminium ones...2007 I think ? It would still be fine except I do image editing for fairly large pictures and also have run out of storage capacity. If you are a user doing anything except gaming or image/video editing I think it would still be fine.
My iMac is going to become my children's machine...I expect to get a few more years out of it.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC

The anticipated delivery date is listed in the apple store. As of the last time I looked it was January.

Yes, it is worth maxing out your system. It will not prevent it becoming obsolete at some point but it will delay that happening. I always max out systems because that buys me a few years of useful life (and guarantees me a sweet system at the start of that). Another reason to upgrade: some of the changes (like the GPU) can not be done after the fact. The CPU has been shown to be able to be done but you need to perform major surgery.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Whilst I tend to upgrade my main machine ( Imac 27") on a yearly basis, I'm hoping this one will last two years...BTO's shipping is Mid January so that's probably when you will get one if that's your plan. Stock models? I guess you MIGHT get one before Christmas but I doubt it...The specs on my BTO:

Attachments

• Imac 27%22.png
    Imac 27%22.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 64

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Whilst I tend to upgrade my main machine ( Imac 27") on a yearly basis, I'm hoping this one will last two years...BTO's shipping is Mid January so that's probably when you will get one if that's your plan. Stock models? I guess you MIGHT get one before Christmas but I doubt it...The specs on my BTO:

Care to share why you spend the money on Apple Ram if you could have had the same for 450$ less?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Care to share why you spend the money on Apple Ram if you could have had the same for 450$ less?

Honestly? I normally don't...But Crucial have a few stock issues, and I did get a discount on the Mac...In most cases I agree, buying Apple RAM is a little nuts, but I'm getting to the age of not wanting to fiddle around anymore either...It's the eyes you know..:)

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Honestly? I normally don't...But Crucial have a few stock issues, and I did get a discount on the Mac...In most cases I agree, buying Apple RAM is a little nuts, but I'm getting to the age of not wanting to fiddle around anymore either...It's the eyes you know..:)

Put your glasses on! ;) It's $600 (SIX HUNDRED) you are paying for a $150 worth of RAM that anyone can plug in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.