Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Could MBA owners please let me know if it is possible to play CoD4 and Civ 5 on the 2012 base MBA 13?

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
CoD 4 runs fine on MBA.
I tried it on the 2011 model and 2012 model and both runs fine.

What settings were you playing at, what frames-per-second did you manage to get, and how hot did the machine run?

cragmr

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Civ V will run, but don't try to play with a bunch of other Civs. Game will crawl when you start getting towards the late game and even switching into strategic mode won't help.

Keep it to 4-5 other Civs and it should be good for most of the game.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Civ V will run, but don't try to play with a bunch of other Civs. Game will crawl when you start getting towards the late game and even switching into strategic mode won't help.

Keep it to 4-5 other Civs and it should be good for most of the game.

But isn't that due to CPU strain rather than GPU? It's the late-game AI which causes the lag, as it has to go through all previously made decisions to come to the next move. That's why strategic mode doesn't help.

I face the same issue in my 2010 MBP i7.. benchmarks give the 2012 MBA a better score than the old MBP, so hopefully it's better.

will waters

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Great Britain
I have used my MBA 2012 13" 1.8ghz with 8Gb ram, i run COD Black Ops on full resolution and works very smoothly, COD 4 is easy for it.... I have not tried many other games though....

Hope this helps

Will

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.