Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
for some (stupid) reason apple does not enable feature "battery percentage" on the ipod touch even though the iphone (and ipad) has it. you can still use voiceover and tap on the battery icon and it will read out lout how much battery power you have left

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
You can get battery percentage if you jailbreak and install SBSettings

It's not supposed to.

Why do I have to jailbreak a device to have such feature?

Why not? What are the 'standards' that all iPods must follow? Not necessarily directed at Jsameds or rjaida, but more of a rhetorical question.

iPods cost just as much as iPhones, so why are iPods watered down? A dated processor and graphics chip are an upgrade when compared to the Fourth Generation iPod, but what about when compared to an iPhone or Android device? Maybe I'm making noise here, speaking out of turn, but the mothership must be informed that we can't be duped all of the time.

EDIT: burgundy, I was replyng to this thread when you replied. Thanks for the info! I will try this soon.

Last edited:

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Apple will never give us an update for battery percentage on ipod touch.

Never? Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they never will.

I certainly agree this feature is silly to not include at this point. But never is a strong statement.

----------

iPods cost just as much as iPhones, so why are iPods watered down? A dated processor and graphics chip are an upgrade when compared to the Fourth Generation iPod, but what about when compared to an iPhone or Android device?

iPods most certainly do not cost as much as iPhones.

iPhones cost considerably more than an iPod touch, when you factor in the $200-400 dollars in subsidies that the iPhone gets from various carriers.

That said, I think it's pretty odd and silly they haven't included this fairly standard feature on the iPod touches.

I'd be curious to see how well the hardware of the iPod touch compares to Android models. Android models are all over the place in terms of hardware, but I don't know where the iPod touch would fall in that continuum.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Never? Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they never will.

I certainly agree this feature is silly to not include at this point. But never is a strong statement

i believe this is some kind of rule at apple, the "rule" is basically ipod touch doesn't have battery percentage, iphone and ipad do, reason? i don't know, maybe they do that so when your friends look at your ipod/iphone they know that's an iphone or an ipod right away, before i even thought they do this because they know the battery life on ipod touch is not as good as iphone, they don't want us to see the battery percentage decreases quickly, but i think i was wrong, because i'm getting pretty good battery life on my touch 5

oh this is funny, in the ipod touch user guide from apple, it says you can go to "settings->general->usage" you can "display battery level as a percentage" https://discussions.apple.com/servl...dImage/2-20128966-167295/400-600/IMG_0096.PNG [btw this is from apple support communities]

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
i believe this is some kind of rule at apple, the "rule" is basically ipod touch doesn't have battery percentage, iphone and ipad do, reason? i don't know, maybe they do that so when your friends look at your ipod/iphone they know that's an iphone or an ipod right away, before i even thought they do this because they know the battery life on ipod touch is not as good as iphone, they don't want us to see the battery percentage decreases quickly, but i think i was wrong, because i'm getting pretty good battery life on my touch 5

oh this is funny, in the ipod touch user guide from apple, it says you can go to "settings->general->usage" you can "display battery level as a percentage" https://discussions.apple.com/servl...dImage/2-20128966-167295/400-600/IMG_0096.PNG [btw this is from apple support communities]

Good find! Hopefully something is in the works.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
You can get the battery percentage on a touch if you modify a configuration file - no jailbreak needed. I don't have the thread here handy though. I did it on my original 4G touch and it sticks across device restores.

ETA: This may or may not still work: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1020968/

i tried this and got the battery percentage, but the fake carrier name did not work, i guess the 2nd post in this thread is right. thanks a lot burgundyyears, now i can turn off tripple tap home button voiceover.

does anyone know any other tweaks changing the code in the file in the backup using ibackupbot like this battery percentage tweak?

yiSl2.png

Last edited:

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
iPods most certainly do not cost as much as iPhones.

iPhones cost considerably more than an iPod touch, when you factor in the $200-400 dollars in subsidies that the iPhone gets from various carriers.

That said, I think it's pretty odd and silly they haven't included this fairly standard feature on the iPod touches.

I'd be curious to see how well the hardware of the iPod touch compares to Android models. Android models are all over the place in terms of hardware, but I don't know where the iPod touch would fall in that continuum.

I said just as much, but I know what you mean. If we include used devices than my opinion is still sound. Nonetheless, it is silly that something relatively simple can't be include in an iPod touches' iOS. As far as Android including this feature or excluding other oddities, I'm not sure, because I have no experience with such devices. I'm glad that people do though. That way there is a foundation for apple to apple comparisons, so to speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.