Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:56 AM   #76
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryzx View Post
Why can't Apple & Google just COOPERATE and do a really good map that BOTH of them can work together on and make it the best one ever???
Because Google decided it wanted more and more and more and brought out its "own" OS for a gazillion of Android manufacturers so they could steal Apple's market share and customers?
louis.b is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:56 AM   #77
pmg4lktan
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to pmg4lktan Send a message via AIM to pmg4lktan Send a message via Yahoo to pmg4lktan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupua View Post
This is a really dumb-ass backwards way to go about fixing a mapping business. Foursquare for a map software problem? Hope this is just a smoke screen like how United Airlines said it wanted to buy US Airlines, when all the while the real target was Continental... Buying WAZE Solves this dumb ass mapping issue! This would be my way of buying my way out of a problem, sure not Foursquare.

But on another note, I hate the thought of anyone buying WAZE and screwing up that awesome project. uggh
ya~WAZE FTW!

pmg4lktan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:01 AM   #78
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Apple just get it together!!!
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:42 AM   #79
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShort View Post
This is only good for a few countries, in UK foursquare is big. .
I'm from the UK. I don't know anyone, or know of anyone who uses foursquare.

It's irrelevant isn't it? What good does it actually do anyone? How would it improve maps exactly?

Can I be the mayor of who the **** cares about foursquare?
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:54 AM   #80
Jeans89
macrumors regular

Too little, too late. Google Maps rules!
Jeans89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:02 AM   #81
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzilla View Post

It's irrelevant isn't it? What good does it actually do anyone? How would it improve maps exactly?

If you use whatsapp and share locations, you use foursquare. If you use Instagram, you use foursquare. These are just 2 of the more prominent examples.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:06 AM   #82
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
More time and energy wasted trying to reinvent the wheel.

Now that Google has released a Maps App that's worth a damn, the only thing Apple needs to do is allow iOS users to let that app be the DEFAULT app on their iOS devices.
Near-sighted people like you probably think that it was GREAT idea for Apple to have been dependent on a jealous rival (Samsung) for the manufacture of much of its electronics components (CPU, memory, etc).

Yup. Gotcha. So you also assume that Apple would do swimmingly well to just sit around, stop all in-house development, and just be DEPENDENT on rival Google on the Maps/LocationData front. Yup, I got you. I don't agree with you, but I totally get what you are thinking.
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:12 AM   #83
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Near-sighted people like you probably think that it was GREAT idea for Apple to have been dependent on a jealous rival (Samsung) for the manufacture of much of its electronics components (CPU, memory, etc).

Yup. Gotcha. So you also assume that Apple would do swimmingly well to just sit around, stop all in-house development, and just be DEPENDENT on rival Google on the Maps/LocationData front. Yup, I got you. I don't agree with you, but I totally get what you are thinking.
Intelligent people exist on here
I kid I kid
But you're still awesome.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:28 AM   #84
newrocket
macrumors newbie

Apple should just buy Garmin or what ever navigation maps company that has good world wide maps data and let them worry about it )
newrocket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:32 AM   #85
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Wee Ha! Slow rumors day?
mdriftmeyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:35 AM   #86
UmbraDiaboli
macrumors regular

I'm getting quite tired of this recent trend of profiting from private information.
UmbraDiaboli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:49 AM   #87
ascylto
macrumors newbie

Trouble

Apple will always have trouble with Maps so long as they insist we die after leaping off the bridge on their logo.
ascylto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:49 AM   #88
mrbyu
macrumors 6502

I think the game hasn't ended yet for Apple. They are smart enough there in Cupertino, they have a load of money, and they now that Google Maps is kicking their ass right now. I am really looking forward to what comes out of this battle. Though I am using the new google maps now, I really support Apple.
mrbyu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:01 AM   #89
rmwebs
Banned

we'll be needing little snitch for iOS at this rate.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:07 AM   #90
juanmanas
macrumors 6502

opps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.
There is no any evidence of that whatsoever
juanmanas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:18 AM   #91
Technarchy
macrumors 601

If it ain't Siri integrated, I'm not using it. I'll stick with Apple maps. It's worked great so far.

Four Square integration would be a pretty good force multiplier for Apple.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:53 AM   #92
jamezr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmanas View Post
There is no any evidence of that whatsoever
There are reports that Google Maps was downloaded on IOS devices 10 million times in the first 48 hours it was available.....
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/17/...million-times/
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:00 AM   #93
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
There are reports that Google Maps was downloaded on IOS devices 10 million times in the first 48 hours it was available.....
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/17/...million-times/
Yeah, with more than 100 million iOS 6 devices out there. But of course we need data of whether or not that's the entirety of the map users. Many people don't use maps so we shouldn't expect all 100 million to get the gmaps app. In any case, I don't see any data supporting the pro or the contra of your argument. People who download gmaps won't necessarily stick with it. Maybe they won't like it and switch back to Apple maps as well. (Not me, for me Apple maps is useless in my area).
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:05 AM   #94
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.
I drove from Ohio to Florida and back with no issues with Apple maps. I've used them several times without issue.

----------

Quote:

Because they have all the POI in their database. Try foursquare you will find everything is in there.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:10 AM   #95
jamezr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
Yeah, with more than 100 million iOS 6 devices out there. But of course we need data of whether or not that's the entirety of the map users. Many people don't use maps so we shouldn't expect all 100 million to get the gmaps app. In any case, I don't see any data supporting the pro or the contra of your argument. People who download gmaps won't necessarily stick with it. Maybe they won't like it and switch back to Apple maps as well. (Not me, for me Apple maps is useless in my area).
Oh i agree with you on the data is not being specific enough. But IOS has been out for 3 months and has 100 million downloads. What will Google Maps have in 3 months? What percentage of the 100 million were iphones? How many were Wifi only iPads that will never ever be used to get directions using a maps app? How many people would gladly switch to Google Maps from Apple Maps and make it the default maps app if they could? The 10 million is very significant. It may only seem like 10% but it will grow and i think it is a larger percentage of the devices that will actually use a map app......but I wish we had a the numbers breakdown. But we don't so we can only speculate.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:13 AM   #96
kas23
macrumors 603

I have no idea what Foursquare is, nor do I know anyone who uses it. Sounds like just one of the billion apps that tried to ride the Facebook wave. It also sounds like Apple continues to look for the cheap way out. Garbage in, garbage out.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:17 AM   #97
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:

I do.

To be fair, Foursquare has *considerably* better place data in the UK than Yelp does. Much, much better.

But that doesn't mean it's the equivalent of Google, nor that Apple could actually get the integration to work.

It's throwing yet more resource down the pit of Apple Maps, when it could be spent making improvements to iOS.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post

Apple are still dependent on Google for Maps. They just have a lot less control over it now as they have nothing to do with the app, rather than something.

Before they could ******** Google in negotiations that they could go and build their own maps. Now it's proven beyond doubt that they can't.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:24 AM   #98
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
I've found that the weakest part of Apple's Maps was their POI database.

Hopefully, this will bring that part of Apple's offerings more in line with Google's.
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:05 AM   #99
Rogifan
macrumors G3

This is another one of those heads I win tails you lose. There's nothing Apple does that someone won't b**** about. Apple is trying to fix/improve deficiencies in their maps app. What do people want them to do with maps? Let it wither on the vine and die? What's good about that?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:11 AM   #100
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
Using Foursquare means user-generated content. It is MUCH more accurate than Yelp and is always up to date because the users ensure it is.
Exactly. The biggest problem with Maps is not actually the maps themselves (the *streets* are in the right places, after all) but the terrible location search.

One of the reasons that the location search is bad is that it's not enough just to have a big database of locations. Even if Apple's database was comprehensive and up to date (which it isn't), you need to know how popular each place is. Not just to decide what locations to draw on the map, but also to form meaningful, relevant search results.

The same applies when searching for place names. You need a search engine that is smart enough to know that someone searching for "London" in Europe probably means London, UK and not London, Ontario. Likewise, someone is southwest Ontario doing the same search probably does actually mean the other London.

This is something Google understands. They also have a huge number of users and can form data on popularity based on the number of people searching for them. As a result, their location searches are very good.

Foursquare is also very good at doing this - the more check-ins a place has, the more likely it's something that users are actually searching for. Getting this user-curated, up to date data into Apple's Maps would be a big improvement indeed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Apple are still dependent on Google for Maps. They just have a lot less control over it now as they have nothing to do with the app, rather than something.
Apple didn't have a lot of control before, either. They were dependent on their agreement with Google as to what they were allowed to include in the maps app, and things like 3D vector maps, search suggestions/autocomplete, and turn-by-turn navigation weren't available.

The only reason Google Maps has turn-by-turn directions and 3D on iOS today is because Google had to put those features in to be competitive - you can thank Apple Maps for that
Reason077 is online now   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion