Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Apple needs to go beyond some data-sharing deal with Foursquare.

They need to BUY Foursquare. Apple is the only big player who does not own their own Points of Interest data. This is a HUGE problem, as we've seen with iOS 6 Maps. Apple cannot compete with Google by simply doing licensing deals with 3rd parties. They need to invest heavily in data, so that they own the data. Owning the data means 1) no restrictions on how its gathered and used, 2) the data is exclusive to Apple, 3) it is easier to integrate with other Apple services.

Does Tim really get this? I mean what is Apple planning to do with that $120B+ in the bank? Make a 50 foot tall solid gold statue of Steve Jobs? Put an Apple store on Mars? Foursquare could be bought for less than Instagram (which was an overpriced $1B), most likely. A drop in the bucket for Apple. They need to ramp up R&D on geo-data quickly and spend considerable effort on it. Google has done this for years and continues to do this. Apple will slip further and further behind if they don't get their act together. They don't have the luxury of piggybacking on Google's services anymore.

Well said.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.

I am one of the 10 million people that downloaded the new Google maps app and, while I like the new Google maps, I anticipate using it only when Apple maps fails. Apple map's integration with Siri, Safari, and my Address Book are more valuable to me than knowing the precise location of every last Burger King. If I need to find a Burger King, I may end up using Google's map... at least until Apple partners with Foursquare and fixes its business locations.

Oh i agree with you on the data is not being specific enough. But IOS has been out for 3 months and has 100 million downloads. What will Google Maps have in 3 months? What percentage of the 100 million were iPhones? How many were Wi-Fi only iPads that will never ever be used to get directions using a maps app? How many people would gladly switch to Google Maps from Apple Maps and make it the default maps app if they could? The 10 million is very significant. It may only seem like 10% but it will grow and I think it is a larger percentage of the devices that will actually use a map app......but I wish we had the numbers breakdown. But we don't so we can only speculate.

I suspect a large percentage of the 10 million are like me, we downloaded the Google maps app (and are glad to have it when we need it) but we will continue using Apple maps for most day-to-day navigation.

Overall, iOS users won in this exchange between Apple and Google. We now have the best navigation options of any mobile operating system. :eek: :)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I am one of the 10 million people that downloaded the new Google maps app and, while I like the new Google maps, I anticipate using it only when Apple maps fails. Apple map's integration with Siri, Safari, and my Address Book are more valuable to me than knowing the precise location of every last Burger King. If I need to find a Burger King, I may end up using Google's map... at least until Apple partners with Foursquare and fixes its business locations.

I suspect a large percentage of the 10 million are like me, we downloaded the Google maps app (and are glad to have it when we need it) but we will continue using Apple maps for most day-to-day navigation.

Overall, iOS users won in this exchange between Apple and Google. We now have the best navigation options of any mobile operating system. :eek: :)

Same here. I only use GMaps if AMaps fails. We want a strong alternative to GMaps. So far I haven't touched it yet. ;-)

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'm fine Apple seems to look for possibilities to fix the huge gap they have compared to Google Maps. But foursquare? I'm ok with it only when there will be NO add ons what-so-ever. If I want to use maps for coordination purposes I want to use maps for coordination purposes! So no messages like: 'oh you're close to a bar you like" or "your friend Pim just went inside that bar... close to you" etc.

I've all ready deleted my entire Instagram account because I discovered that they are going to use ALL of your pictures for commercial use without you to have any saying in it. So when you think you're taking a picture of yourself sharing this with your friends only, think again. Won't happen.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-5...ays-it-now-has-the-right-to-sell-your-photos/

What has instagram to do with Apple maps and Foursquare? That's a question that belongs in category bloody obvious. Many people using istagram together with foursquare, now you all do the math ^^

Source: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/20/instagram-foursquare-integration/

This is no paranoia talk, this is reality. And no, I don't mind Facebook to "know" bits about me for showing commercial rubbish on my Facebook account, things I should be interested in based on the 'Likes' I give away according to Facebook. But that's just annoying, annoying for me and me only. It's a whole other ballgame when private pictures I take can be used by third parties where big companies make money from without me getting anything and, more important, without my permission.

So heck yeah, I do believe in: you give what and you get some, but at the end it's me who should be in demand "what" exactly.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.

Not true, in my area all the iPhone users (that I know) are using apple maps without any issues at all.

So far I have been all over the country, using apple maps. I think this will be a non issue soon enough.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sorry, but you are so WRONG. Google Maps is so outdated already.

Why, are all of the streets wrong?
There is an interstate extension that was completed in 2012; Google maps shows it. My 3 year old GPS maps does not (of course). Ergo, Google maps is hardly "outdated." Maybe it lacks the design that Apple maps does but here's a fun fact, I've yet to hear Google maps was dead wrong when showing a location of a building, park, interstate, etc.

I think Apple should step back, forget foursquare and ******** social media, and make their maps app something that we can be glad to use.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Well whatever happens it's not going to be tomorrow or this year. It's been a couple months and our Maps still hasn't been updated. Google Maps ftw!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I think Apple should step back, forget foursquare and ******** social media, and make their maps app something that we can be glad to use.

You don't get it. Maps needs "foursquare and ******** social media" to be be competitive and useful.

Without crowd sourced data, Apple will never have the resources to make (and keep) Maps comprehensive and up-to-date.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I'm not a Foursquare user, but from what I've seen it looks like a great data source for map augmentation.

Like others here have said, if Apple is serious about a quality, in-house mapping solution, they may want to purchase Foursquare outright.

wickoo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
For me the last two updates of IOS (5 & 6) have been disappointing in new features.... Beta SIRI & BETA Maps. They jumped the shark when they touted Facebook integrations as a major feature :)

Let's hope that this will get better with the next version....
That's weird. iOS 5 with its iCloud, iMessage and Siri on top of it all, was huge! It also brought significant changes for developers. :)

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
You don't get it. Maps needs "foursquare and ******** social media" to be be competitive and useful.

Without crowd sourced data, Apple will never have the resources to make (and keep) Maps comprehensive and up-to-date.

What Apple "needs" is in the eye of the beholder and by no means a fact. Yes, Apple can make a nice Map App with all these companies added to Apple Maps but that doesn't answer if the consumer 'really' needs it. The same with apps where you can make documents on it. Some prefer a very clean interface without any kind of rings and bells attached to it, like the program Byword. Others prefer the whole thing, like Apple's Pages or Microsoft word.

Meaning, "more" doesn't mean directly better nor does it mean a program really needs it if it want's to 'win' the race of being used the most. Less is often simply more. And let's face it, for getting me from A to B doesn't require Foursquare, nor any restaurant add on that shows where I can eat Chinese in all circumstances. It's nice to have it for some, but not required to win the 'commercial' race in the context of most used.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Which is a tiny percentage of IOS users

First, 10% is not a tiny number. These are people who actively sought it out to download it. GMs does not harass you to install it like iOS 6 does. Second, you don't really know how many people have GMs on their device. Many people download apps once, but sync it to multiple devices. Third, iOS 6 downloaded is for total iOS devices. GMs is not available for the iPad, nor would it make much sense to have it on an iPod touch.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
That's weird. iOS 5 with its iCloud, iMessage and Siri on top of it all, was huge! It also brought significant changes for developers. :)

I'm not saying it's all bad.... I had every iPhone and iPad ever made and love the hardware.
IOS is still in my opinion the best mobile OS but it's painful how long we have to wait to get stuff we ask for....

Airplay is the best feature introduced lately, IMessage definitely a great addition and while iCloud is nice most of what I use it for I had available with MobilMe for years.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Meaning, "more" doesn't mean directly better nor does it mean a program really needs it if it want's to 'win' the race of being used the most. Less is often simply more. And let's face it, for getting me from A to B doesn't require Foursquare

We're not talking about adding bells and whistles and cluttering up the interface here. All we're talking about here is when you search for something, Maps being able to give you a reasonable answer. In a lot of cases it can't do that today, and that's why Apple needs Foursquare.

You do need Foursquare to get from A to B when Maps, all too often, doesn't know what "B" is.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
We're not talking about adding bells and whistles and cluttering up the interface here. All we're talking about here is when you search for something, Maps being able to give you a reasonable answer. In a lot of cases it can't do that today, and that's why Apple needs Foursquare.

You do need Foursquare to get from A to B when Maps, all too often, doesn't know what "B" is.

But that's the point, Foursquare isn't reliable. Used it for years and on regular bases I encounter wrong information about the place and it's location. Same with the current Apple Maps which I never use simply because the information is very much inaccurate to put it mildly.

So, in order to get this right, right data is needed, Foursquare have proven that a lot of information is simply inaccurate so why integrate this? It's better to make 'or' a deal with Google themselves or use your own employees world wide to edit new correct information into Apple Maps. These things takes time and it's better to build it with the right source material then to rely on inaccurate data.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012

My point exactly. Rome wasn't build in one day, it would be wise, i.m.h.o. for Apple to start fresh and build something that really works and release it when it's mind-blowing better working then most of it's rivals. In fact, this approach used to be Apple's way of working, now it all seems a bit like a race, implementing all kinds of data for sources (if they are going to do so....) which on themselves have proven to be not that reliable to begin with...

I mean, Apple is often magic, don't get me wrong, but even Apple has to admit that you can't simply build a world atlas within a few months time. It took Google years to come this far. Yes, I know that Apple is working for years as well but not as long Google did and instead of releasing it when it's done they worked with a deadline. The commerce was by then more important then the quality of the product itself.

Same happened with Final Cut X. From professional editing software Apple dropped to amateur software. Now, after many many updates Final Cut X is about to enter the world of "good editing software". Again, if they would have waited then they wouldn't had the rightfully criticism they got when they released that product.

I'm a perfectionist myself and I always loved Apple approach to be the best, but they seem to get sloppy. I'm myself waiting for the promised update of a new pro mac, due of my work I'm not interested in iMacs and also there Apple became sloppy with updating the pro line.

18.000+ members for Facebook's 'we want a new mac pro' is a sign to take seriously. And, godthanks, Apple did, but future will tell if they've really have listened!

https://www.facebook.com/MacProsPlease?fref=ts

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It'd be nice to have this integration non-the-less.

As long as I have the choice to not send any data to them. I'm not a foursquare user for a reason.

----------

My point exactly. Rome wasn't build in one day, it would be wise, i.m.h.o. for Apple to start fresh and build something that really works and release it when it's mind-blowing better working then most of it's rivals.

If apple waited for it to be perfect it would never be released. Data constantly changes etc

----------

Why, are all of the streets wrong?
There is an interstate extension that was completed in 2012; Google maps shows it. My 3 year old GPS maps does not (of course). Ergo, Google maps is hardly "outdated."

For you no. But you are not everyone and everywhere. Some of us have been dealing with bad and never corrected info from Google for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.