Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1
irDigital0l

HTC M7 with 4.7-inch 1080p display and 13MP camera

Woah... saw this on Engadget

HTC M7
4.7-inch 1080p display (468 ppi)
1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon
2GB RAM
32GB storage (base model)
LTE
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
13 megapixel back camera (f/2.0 lens, 1080p, slow-mo, HDR)
2 megapixel front camera (1080p)
Stereo Speakers
2300mAh battery
Jellybean 4.2 (Sense 5)
Sprint & Verizon

----------------------

Have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) and plan to use it until next year. Was either going to get the iPhone 5S or Galaxy S4 but I might just settle with this. Not really a fan of Samsung's touchwiz. Going to wait for all of them to release to make final decision but with specs like these...Apple should skip the iPhone 5S and 6 and just release iPhone 7.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

That's a phone with really great specs, should be great.

I'm the opposite of you. Don't really like HTC sense, prefer TouchWiz.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:14 AM   #3
roxxette
Banned

megapixel trick kicked again, its like when nvidia started pushing the "X ram" on video cards.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:18 AM   #4
F123D
macrumors 68040

I bet a lot of phones will have specs similar to this next year. It's the features and support behind the device that'll help me decide whether to upgrade again.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:30 AM   #5
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
megapixel trick kicked again, its like when nvidia started pushing the "X ram" on video cards.
iPhone 4S 8MP is better than iPhone 4 5MP which was better than iPhone 3GS 3MP camera.

Better lens, more software optimizations, additional features.

its still better even though more mp doesn't mean better.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iPhone 4S 8MP is better than iPhone 4 5MP which was better than iPhone 3GS 3MP camera.

Better lens, more software optimizations, additional features.

its still better even though more mp doesn't mean better.
Yeah, the iPhone's camera has improved over the years, although iPhone 4S -> 5 not so much. It was better partly due to the increase in megapixels, but also because of things they added in like image stabilization, five element lens, improved image signal processor etc. At least that's why Phil Schiller said...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:12 AM   #7
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Lets just hope HTC don't screw it up with poor battery life like they normally do, followed by terrible rollout of software updates. I have not been impressed by the way HTC also stated they would have just ONE flagship android phone per year/rota and yet we have had One X, One X+, HTC Butterly & Droid DNA in the last 10 months, that's on top of the myriad of phones that aren't flagship they have released too.

I do really like the aesthetics of HTC phones, but they need to improve customer support and their information rollout, their stance on how long a flagship phone is really 'flagship' and stop boosting hardware specs to the detriment of battery life.

Oh and the 8 megapixel camera on the One X isn't great, certainly worse than te iPhone 4S's 5 megapixel camera. Likewise they never fixed the One X only being able to shoot 1080p in 24fps meaning its fatten very jittery especially when panning. Hopefully this new super device might be able to get 30fps video shooting this time round...
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:15 AM   #8
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Yeah, the iPhone's camera has improved over the years, although iPhone 4S -> 5 not so much. It was better partly due to the increase in megapixels, but also because of things they added in like image stabilization, five element lens, improved image signal processor etc. At least that's why Phil Schiller said...
Yea 4S to 5 I think only difference was a sapphire cover and maybe a f/2.0 aperture.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:20 AM   #9
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yea 4S to 5 I think only difference was a sapphire cover and maybe a f/2.0 aperture.
Sapphire crystal just means it is more resistant to scratches. Aperture remains at f/2.4 according to the keynote.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:32 AM   #10
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Lets just hope HTC don't screw it up with poor battery life like they normally do, followed by terrible rollout of software updates. I have not been impressed by the way HTC also stated they would have just ONE flagship android phone per year/rota and yet we have had One X, One X+, HTC Butterly & Droid DNA in the last 10 months, that's on top of the myriad of phones that aren't flagship they have released too.

I do really like the aesthetics of HTC phones, but they need to improve customer support and their information rollout, their stance on how long a flagship phone is really 'flagship' and stop boosting hardware specs to the detriment of battery life.

Oh and the 8 megapixel camera on the One X isn't great, certainly worse than te iPhone 4S's 5 megapixel camera. Likewise they never fixed the One X only being able to shoot 1080p in 24fps meaning its fatten very jittery especially when panning. Hopefully this new super device might be able to get 30fps video shooting this time round...
How's the camera on your HTC 8X?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:31 AM   #11
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Isn't the reason HTC were in so much trouble because they were releasing a new phone every week. I thought they'd got their act together when they launched the One Series bit then they quickly started making new phones soon after. They've sunk back in to old ways.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:53 AM   #12
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
How's the camera on your HTC 8X?
Waiting for courier to deliver it. Should be here later today.

From what I've read its meant to be same one as on the One X, so I'm still expecting the iPhone 5 to outshoot it camera wise.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Isn't the reason HTC were in so much trouble because they were releasing a new phone every week. I thought they'd got their act together when they launched the One Series bit then they quickly started making new phones soon after. They've sunk back in to old ways.
Yep...... Good intentions, but didn't follow up that.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:03 AM   #13
onthecouchagain
Banned

For the love of god please put the wake/sleep button on the side. And please do not put it center top. Worse position ever. Devices this large should not have an impossible to reach wake/sleep button.

Also... That battery seems a bit small, no? I feel HTC always skimps out on battery.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:12 AM   #14
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Seems interesting. 468 ppi is mind boggling, but I hope the battery can manage and that Sense 5 is a big improvement. Sense stills seems really big and bloated. Also hoping for a new design.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Seems interesting. 468 ppi is mind boggling, but I hope the battery can manage and that Sense 5 is a big improvement. Sense stills seems really big and bloated. Also hoping for a new design.
468 ppi is not only mind-boggling, but a total overkill. Anything above 300 ppi is already ultra-clear.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:56 AM   #16
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
468 ppi is not only mind-boggling, but a total overkill. Anything above 300 ppi is already ultra-clear.
I'm inclined to agree, but I'd have to see that PPI in person before deciding I'm content with the 300 range. Some reviewers said the increased sharpness with the DNA was minimal and only visible up-close, but others said it was visually stunning.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:24 AM   #17
frag2
macrumors member

as long as there is expandable memory....
frag2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:31 AM   #18
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502

What's apple going to do when all their competitors have screens with over 100 more PPI?

they can't increase theirs otherwise they look foolish after their ******** retina science
nickchallis92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:11 PM   #19
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchallis92 View Post
What's apple going to do when all their competitors have screens with over 100 more PPI?

they can't increase theirs otherwise they look foolish after their ******** retina science
They will continue to market their product as being better and count on devote Apple fanboys to buy their new iteration every year.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:31 PM   #20
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
They will continue to market their product as being better and count on devote Apple fanboys to buy their new iteration every year.
Devote Apple fanboys, or the general public? I know it's fun to hate on Apple. And I own a Galaxy S3, and a Nexus 4 but the iPhone will still sell, and Apple will be just fine. Only us tech geeks buy phones because of specs.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 PM   #21
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
Devote Apple fanboys, or the general public? I know it's fun to hate on Apple. And I own a Galaxy S3, and a Nexus 4 but the iPhone will still sell, and Apple will be just fine. Only us tech geeks buy phones because of specs.
FYI: I agree with what you're saying.

But I do want to just chime in on one thing and say that it's not exactly fun to hate on Apple (for me, anyway).

I seriously want to see them offer an iPhone with a larger screen size, and an iOS with more features, flexibility, and freedom (and for the love of god, a better keyboard).

My criticisms of Apple are truly in the hopes of a better day. My smartphone is the only one thing non-Apple in my life. The only one hole missing.

They can fill that hole again one day, I believe, but they have to change.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:48 PM   #22
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
FYI: I agree with what you're saying.

But I do want to just chime in on one thing and say that it's not exactly fun to hate on Apple (for me, anyway).

I seriously want to see them offer an iPhone with a larger screen size, and an iOS with more features, flexibility, and freedom (and for the love of god, a better keyboard).

My criticisms of Apple are truly in the hopes of a better day. My smartphone is the only one thing non-Apple in my life. The only one hole missing.

They can fill that hole again one day, I believe, but they have to change.
I hope so too, but probably won't happen until 2020, which is why I'm gonna go with Samsung for my next phone.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices