Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
As most of you have probably noticed from my previous posts. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to all things pc/mac.

But I think it is about time I bought some sort of backup device for my new imac.
Foolishly I never ever backed up my old pc during 10 years of ownership. But luckily never lost any data either!:eek:

I am looking at western digital 'passport' (500gb). But as I have a base 21" model with 1tb drive. Does the back up have to be the same size?(to work with time machine thingy)
The reason I'm asking this is because on my old pc with 500mb HDD I never filled that in all the years I had it!! (Embarrassing I know!)

The other question I have is. I have a refurb AirPort Extreme base station on order as I am having some connectivity problems with my Apple TV mainly!
Should I cancel and go for the apple time capsule instead?
Money is a factor. And I just think the apple time capsule is rather expensive!!

Any advice would be most appreciated. And please excuse my ignorance!!

Ps. Forgot to mention. I would like to get something as soon as poss. As I have an exchange imac on its way to me. And I really don't want to go through the data transfer process again. Found it a bit problematic. And apple must be fed up with me constantly phoning for advice!!:eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I generally like to match my drives so the backup would be 1 TB. Time Machine and an external would be my choice. 500 GB should be fine, but if you can, get 1tb.

I would avoid the time capsule. It's a great idea and easy to use but over priced.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I am looking at western digital 'passport' (500gb). But as I have a base 21" model with 1tb drive. Does the back up have to be the same size?(to work with time machine thingy)
The reason I'm asking this is because on my old pc with 500mb HDD I never filled that in all the years I had it!! (Embarrassing I know!)

I wouldn't be embarrassed by that at all. 500GB is a phenomenal amount of data and it wasn't even possible for a regular person to store that much data, say, 10 years ago. Personally I can (and do) back up all of my files onto a 320GB external drive and that includes basically every document I've ever created, plus all my vacation photos, backups of all my old computers, all of my music, and a bunch of other stuff.

That being said, the difference between a 500GB external drive and a 1+ terabyte drive should only be around $15-$30 so I would personally just get the bigger drive. Unless you are getting the smaller drive used for a better deal or something.

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Just get a 1tb external drive. I would skip the time capsule. Time machine backs up to any external drive just as easily as a time capsule.

I would not even worry about getting USB 3.0 since it sounds like you will primarily be using it for time machine backups. The 3.0 would only benefit initial backup time. All other backups will happen in the background which makes the faster 3.0 not necessary.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The reason I'm asking this is because on my old pc with 500mb HDD I never filled that in all the years I had it!!"

Just wondering -- do you still have that old hard drive around?
Do you happen to have -any- extra hard drives around (either "bare" drives or in an external enclosure)?

If so, there are very easy and cheap solutions that can work for you.

If you're interested, I'll elaborate.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
"The reason I'm asking this is because on my old pc with 500mb HDD I never filled that in all the years I had it!!"

Just wondering -- do you still have that old hard drive around?
Do you happen to have -any- extra hard drives around (either "bare" drives or in an external enclosure)?

If so, there are very easy and cheap solutions that can work for you.

If you're interested, I'll elaborate.
Thanks Fishrrman.

Yes I still have my old HP tower with hard drive!

Was going to take a boat trip and dump it somewhere in the Irish Sea this weekend!!!:cool::D

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
Don't do that since the fish probably already disappeared from that area to eat it, so it will just stay there rusting for many many years :D:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.