Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seniorchang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Today I saw a few digital box sets of some of my favorite TV shows I don't own yet, like the sopranos, the wire etc.

But I can't afford buying all at once, so my question is are those offerings usually just for a limited time or will they be "always" available in the iTunes Store?

seniorchang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
And does anybody know how box sets of tv shows show up on apple tv and in itunes? Are they split by seasons like if you bought them separately or is it just one huge list with all episodes?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
These will likely be there for the foreseeable future. Also, just like when you buy the beatles collection of music, your TV shows will be properly sorted by season and episode. On iTunes 11 they will be sorted under one show, then multiple seasons. On the ATV they will appear as one tile per season, with episodes inside each season menu.

seniorchang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
These will likely be there for the foreseeable future. Also, just like when you buy the beatles collection of music, your TV shows will be properly sorted by season and episode. On iTunes 11 they will be sorted under one show, then multiple seasons. On the ATV they will appear as one tile per season, with episodes inside each season menu.

Thanks! That was what I needed to know.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
There was a similar heavily discounted "digital boxset" for Breaking Bad seasons 1-4 some time ago. It was only available for a short time. Also, it was not split into seasons (but of course in iTunes you can edit the metadata yourself).

seniorchang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
There was a similar heavily discounted "digital boxset" for Breaking Bad seasons 1-4 some time ago. It was only available for a short time. Also, it was not split into seasons (but of course in iTunes you can edit the metadata yourself).

Did you buy it? I know in the iTunes store it's just a huge list of all episodes, but I thought once you buy it, it gets sorted like you bought every season separately.

I know you can edit the metadata but if you access it through icloud I don't want to scroll through a huge list but access seasons like with regular purchases.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Did you buy it? I know in the iTunes store it's just a huge list of all episodes, but I thought once you buy it, it gets sorted like you bought every season separately.
Yes, I did buy it. By default the episode files did not have season numbers set in the meta data. Instead, the episodes were named "Season X, Episode Y: Title". In iTunes it was sorted as if it was one season. I added the season numbers in my downloaded files though, and now they are shown as separate seasons in iTunes.
I know you can edit the metadata but if you access it through icloud I don't want to scroll through a huge list but access seasons like with regular purchases.
Yes, I know what you mean. I'm just saying what my experience was. I don't know if this is also the case with the "boxsets" that are currently on offer. But I have to say it doesn't bother me, especially at these prices. I am really tempted to get all the Sopranos seasons. The only thing holding me back is that I have probably about a year's worth of unwatched stuff already. ;)

seniorchang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Yes, I did buy it. By default the episode files did not have season numbers set in the meta data. Instead, the episodes were named "Season X, Episode Y: Title". In iTunes it was sorted as if it was one season. I added the season numbers in my downloaded files though, and now they are shown as separate seasons in iTunes.
Yes, I know what you mean. I'm just saying what my experience was. I don't know if this is also the case with the "boxsets" that are currently on offer. But I have to say it doesn't bother me, especially at these prices. I am really tempted to get all the Sopranos seasons. The only thing holding me back is that I have probably about a year's worth of unwatched stuff already. ;)

I guess it's the same with the current boxset offerings...

You haven't watched sopranos? Greatest tv show ever!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.