Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
So I was cleaning my iPhone 5 (wiping it down, etc.) and noticed dust on my camera lens. When I tried to clean it I realize its actually under the lens. Now pictures don't seem to be too affected, maybe a bit more noise. But has anybody else had this problem?

Would Apple replace the phone? This would be the 4th iPhone 5 for me due to a plethora of defects if so.

I'll take a picture when I'm home and have access to another camera.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah its pretty alarming to see. I'll probably pop into the apple store when holiday crowds die down.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I have a launch day 5 that I've kept casefree and in my pocket. Underneath my lense is unacceptably full of dust and it definitely impacts picture quality.

Otherwise my phone is in great condition, I need to get it swapped out soon.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
my launch iPhone 5 got several bits of dust under the lens within about 4-5 weeks and two of the pieces became very visible in all photos. apple replaced the phone with no question after seeing the dust visible in photos while in the store. my new phone i have had about 3 weeks and no issues so far.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I have a launch day 5 that I've kept casefree and in my pocket. Underneath my lense is unacceptably full of dust and it definitely impacts picture quality.

Otherwise my phone is in great condition, I need to get it swapped out soon.

Yup that's the case with mine. I just didn't notice the dust until today.

There is quite a bit of dust. Unacceptable for sure.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
For reference my old iPhone 4 was 2 years old when I retired it for my 5. My kids use it now as an iPod touch like device. I just checked it, no visible dust under the lens in 2 years (kept with no case in a pocket 24/7). my launch iPhone 5 had lots of dust including 2 large visible in pictures pieces in weeks.

build issues with the 5, well at least the launch units.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yup that's the case with mine. I just didn't notice the dust until today.

There is quite a bit of dust. Unacceptable for sure.

It must be creeping in through that new back microphone. I'm wondering if it won't be a problem for anyone that has an iPhone 5 for a couple months or more and keeps it in their pocket/purse.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
been a bunch of threads on this already. i brought mine into apple and they were actually able to clean it out for me on the spot. took 5 mins.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Happened to me for my iPhone 5. Couldn't get the dust out, so they gave me a new iphone. Took all of 2 minutes. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I just noticed dust in my iPhone 5. I am going to return it to the store, this will be the THIRD i5 I've had this issue with. Major problem with the longevity of this model. Dust will probably find its way in there eventually, most likely after your 1 year warranty is expired.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Like this?

IMG_8557.JPG

No, that's not a bird I've captured. It's some piece of debris or dust that's INSIDE the lens cavity somewhere. I've shaken it up, dusted it off with a microfiber cloth and the same issue occurs. It's inside.

Visiting Apple today at 12:30. Sigh. That's what Applecare is for I guess.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
They opened the phone up and removed it. It was stuck to the inside of the lens and actually left a residue. It was probably from the manufacturing process

thats correct its from the manufacturing process....because I just got my iPhone 5 replaced 3 days ago..yesterday evening noticed a dust particle sitting on the camera lens body on the inside of the glass, can move it by shaking my iPhone vigorously lol

Called apple to have them note it on the account, will have it replaced soon...

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Well, since I made that post this morning 2-3 more pieces of dust are showing up inside my lens.

I really can't believe I'm going to have to get this thing swapped out a 4th time for the same issue. I can only imagine what people's iPhone 5's are going to look like 1-2 years down the road.

Also, I disagree that it's from manufacturing. It has taken weeks/months for the dust to show up on my 3 different iPhone 5's. The dust is getting in there somehow.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
And.....

They swapped my phone. This is phone #2 that's had similar problems with debris in the lens area within a several month period when it was fine when it was purchased. I usually keep my phone in my pants pocket when I'm not using it but for this one I'm keeping it on my desk at work or at home so time spent in a pocket filled with fabric fibers is minimized. Maybe that will help.

I get the idea the thing is just a dust magnet to some degree. I predict camera improvements on the 5S.

Bunny.lin

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Hi everyone,
I got my iPhone as a gift in mid-October and i have just noticed that my iPhone 5 has dust under the camera as well.. it also seems to be affecting the photo quality but unless on white background it isn't as noticeable. There is also a problem with the power (sleep/wake) button, where it only seems to work when pressed repeatedly and sometimes only works to the left. But this only happens every 3 out of 10 times. :(:(
I was wondering if i take it to apple store if they would replace or fix the phone for me. The only thing that worries me is that my iPhone has a few scratches on the corner and a dent in the metal on the corner as well. I am worried that they will say that because of that my warranty is no longer valid. Plus if they looks at the power button I am worried that knowing my luck the button will work when they try it. :(
Other than these scratches and a dent there r not scratches on the front screen or the back.
What r the chances that they will replace the phone for me? and could me dropping the phone have resulted in the power button now working even though the left side of the phone that has the dent and the button is on the right. :(
The apple store in about 1+ hours drive from house and I don't want to go there before getting advice from someone first.

I have attached photos of the iPhone 5 camera and the dust in it plus a photo that i took of my white ceiling which shows black smudges.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 144
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Bunny.lin

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Zoomed in photos of the camera + the photos of the dent

These photos show the dent that is on my phone and the overall condition of the phone..
I have a also attached the photo of the dent that is on the phone..

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 150
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 145
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 133
  • photo 8.JPG
    photo 8.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 129

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Hi everyone,
I got my iPhone as a gift in mid-October and i have just noticed that my iPhone 5 has dust under the camera as well.. it also seems to be affecting the photo quality but unless on white background it isn't as noticeable. There is also a problem with the power (sleep/wake) button, where it only seems to work when pressed repeatedly and sometimes only works to the left. But this only happens every 3 out of 10 times. :(:(
I was wondering if i take it to apple store if they would replace or fix the phone for me. The only thing that worries me is that my iPhone has a few scratches on the corner and a dent in the metal on the corner as well. I am worried that they will say that because of that my warranty is no longer valid. Plus if they looks at the power button I am worried that knowing my luck the button will work when they try it. :(
Other than these scratches and a dent there r not scratches on the front screen or the back.
What r the chances that they will replace the phone for me? and could me dropping the phone have resulted in the power button now working even though the left side of the phone that has the dent and the button is on the right. :(
The apple store in about 1+ hours drive from house and I don't want to go there before getting advice from someone first.

I have attached photos of the iPhone 5 camera and the dust in it plus a photo that i took of my white ceiling which shows black smudges.

Head on over to the Apple Store. The damage shown (as much as I can make out) wouldn't invalidate your warranty. And that amount of dust is unacceptable.

Bunny.lin

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Head on over to the Apple Store. The damage shown (as much as I can make out) wouldn't invalidate your warranty. And that amount of dust is unacceptable.

I have made an appointment for Wednesday evening.. This will be my first time dealing with the apple genius bar.. any words of advice?
What issue should I push towards the most the camera dust or the power button not working all the time..
could the fall have damaged the power button?:(

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
I have made an appointment for Wednesday evening.. This will be my first time dealing with the apple genius bar.. any words of advice?
What issue should I push towards the most the camera dust or the power button not working all the time..

I showed the person at the Genius Bar a picture like your first one (with the spots on photos taken from the camera) and was given a replacement immediately without issue. I think that should be all you need to do.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA

Don't suggest anything about that button unless asked. Don't outright lie but also don't give the genius an easy way out.

I'd take more pictures to illustrate the issue. In fact take a picture of something in-store while you wait to further illustrate the problem.

But please do not fail to mention both issues. Last thing you want is him fixing one problem with a repair and overlooking your other issue.

Also be prepared to wait. I've never been helped at my actual appt time.

Bunny.lin

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Don't suggest anything about that button unless asked. Don't outright lie but also don't give the genius an easy way out.

I'd take more pictures to illustrate the issue. In fact take a picture of something in-store while you wait to further illustrate the problem.

But please do not fail to mention both issues. Last thing you want is him fixing one problem with a repair and overlooking your other issue.

Also be prepared to wait. I've never been helped at my actual appt time.

Any chance they will do the fix/replace for free? or will i have too pay?
Has anyone had a bad experience with taking this issue to the apple genius bar people? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.