Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Is there any such way to do it? Why is this feature not offered to the end user instead of at the service provider level? I'm still on iOS 5 on the iPhone 4S.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Turn on Do Not Disturb mode and add all the contacts you DO want to get through to your favourites?

If its a nuisance caller/psycho Ex, just ask them not to call/text otherwise its harassment

Or, get an android phone, it's easy to block callers on android.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I know so many girls who have their phones jailbroken just for this feature.

It's amazing that it's not been implemented yet...

But yes, I'm afraid it can't be done without jailbreaking.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It has been, it's called do not disturb. Is it as good as iBlacklist? Of course not but it does keep unwanted calls coming through for the most part. (Unless you have it unlocked.

Errm, what?

If someone has a stalker and wants to stop getting calls from them, do not disturb is really of absolutely no use.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It has been, it's called do not disturb. Is it as good as iBlacklist? Of course not but it does keep unwanted calls coming through for the most part. (Unless you have it unlocked.
As far as I'm concerned DND was not intended to be used like this. It can and it is, but it is not what I believe the feature was for in the first place.

I would not want to have to list all contacts I care to receive call from. Instead, I list 3 contacts total that can get past my DND. I use DND at night and in the event there is an emergency, there are people who can get a hold of me. The rest of the people who are my contacts will have to wait or figure out that they have to call twice to get in touch with me.

Aside from that, there are people who call me that aren't in my contacts. Whether it be job prospects or my current company. I wouldn't want them to get my voice mail every time just because I don't have them on my exception list.

I know so many girls who have their phones jailbroken just for this feature.

It's amazing that it's not been implemented yet...

But yes, I'm afraid it can't be done without jailbreaking.
As far as Verizon goes, you can call them and get the number blacklisted, I have. Though it is not specific to the iPhone, it is possible with your carrier.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
If you have a stalker, call your carrier/network.

If you give your number out to all and sundry and some of those individuals turn out to be *******s, think about changing your behaviour.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
As far as I'm concerned DND was not intended to be used like this. It can and it is, but it is not what I believe the feature was for in the first place.

I would not want to have to list all contacts I care to receive call from. Instead, I list 3 contacts total that can get past my DND. I use DND at night and in the event there is an emergency, there are people who can get a hold of me. The rest of the people who are my contacts will have to wait or figure out that they have to call twice to get in touch with me.

Aside from that, there are people who call me that aren't in my contacts. Whether it be job prospects or my current company. I wouldn't want them to get my voice mail every time just because I don't have them on my exception list.

As far as Verizon goes, you can call them and get the number blacklisted, I have. Though it is not specific to the iPhone, it is possible with your carrier.

I might be wrong but I understood that if you use DND but mark your friends as favourites they will be able to call you but can not text you.

I use an app called DND Whitelist which easilly allows you to pick who you want to be able to ring you and those people can text you too. You don't need to jailbreak your phone for this app as its available from the Apple app store.

I get a lot of calls from agencies offering work and when I don't need work I just apply this app to be on all the time.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Port your existing number to Google Voice, then get a new unknown to anyone but you number that you forward GV to. GV has it's own Do Not Disturb feature if you want to completely block things from time to time. And you can also block individual numbers as "spam" and the caller will get a "this number is not in service recording".

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Ummmmm yeah. IF you have DND on and that persons number isn't in your favorites it won't ring.... how will this NOT be of use?

Because Apple's DND is a half ass implementation that doesn't work. If your screen is on, nothing gets blocked.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I believe that TrueCaller will do what you are looking for?

It's too bad though that you can't use it to let you do an automatic search on who's calling like you can do on the Android app, so that you can see who's calling even though they are not in your contacts. But I hope that Apple make this possible in the future.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
On android there are many whitelist / blacklist apps, most of them dont work. In ios, you have to call the person and tell them not to call you.

Last edited:

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This is one major feature that iOS is lacking that I kind of miss from Android. Only way to get it is by jailbreaking and no Do Not Disturb does NOT serve the same purpose.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Then don't answer it! Problem solved!

Yes it's not as good as an iBlacklist but ffs, it does exactly what it's mean to do.

No it doesn't. Apple's DND is a poor rip off of the call blockers from Android and doesn't work when needed. And I think the point of this thread is lost on you.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is there any such way to do it?
That's one of the big reasons I use Google Voice. Unwanted callers get the "number not in service" message when they call me. There's also the option to send the caller directly to voicemail and delete the voicemail all without my knowledge of the call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.