Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:34 AM   #1
bigpoppamac31
macrumors 6502a

Block calls and texts on iPhone??

Is there any such way to do it? Why is this feature not offered to the end user instead of at the service provider level? I'm still on iOS 5 on the iPhone 4S.
bigpoppamac31 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:42 AM   #2
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

There is no way to do this in iDevices. You would have to switch to a non-Apple device.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:14 AM   #3
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Just turn off your phone until you get a call that you want to answer.
stonyboys is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:50 AM   #4
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Turn on Do Not Disturb mode and add all the contacts you DO want to get through to your favourites?

If its a nuisance caller/psycho Ex, just ask them not to call/text otherwise its harassment

Or, get an android phone, it's easy to block callers on android.
cRuNcHiE is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:56 AM   #5

You want an ipod touch then?
725032 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:38 AM   #6
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

I know so many girls who have their phones jailbroken just for this feature.

It's amazing that it's not been implemented yet...

But yes, I'm afraid it can't be done without jailbreaking.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:46 AM   #7
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post

It's amazing that it's not been implemented yet.
It has been, it's called do not disturb. Is it as good as iBlacklist? Of course not but it does keep unwanted calls coming through for the most part. (Unless you have it unlocked.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:54 AM   #8
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
It has been, it's called do not disturb. Is it as good as iBlacklist? Of course not but it does keep unwanted calls coming through for the most part. (Unless you have it unlocked.
Errm, what?

If someone has a stalker and wants to stop getting calls from them, do not disturb is really of absolutely no use.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:12 AM   #9
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Errm, what?

If someone has a stalker and wants to stop getting calls from them, do not disturb is really of absolutely no use.
Ummmmm yeah. IF you have DND on and that persons number isn't in your favorites it won't ring.... how will this NOT be of use?
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:17 AM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned DND was not intended to be used like this. It can and it is, but it is not what I believe the feature was for in the first place.

I would not want to have to list all contacts I care to receive call from. Instead, I list 3 contacts total that can get past my DND. I use DND at night and in the event there is an emergency, there are people who can get a hold of me. The rest of the people who are my contacts will have to wait or figure out that they have to call twice to get in touch with me.

Aside from that, there are people who call me that aren't in my contacts. Whether it be job prospects or my current company. I wouldn't want them to get my voice mail every time just because I don't have them on my exception list.

Quote:
I know so many girls who have their phones jailbroken just for this feature.

It's amazing that it's not been implemented yet...

But yes, I'm afraid it can't be done without jailbreaking.
As far as Verizon goes, you can call them and get the number blacklisted, I have. Though it is not specific to the iPhone, it is possible with your carrier.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:14 AM   #11
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502

If you have a stalker, call your carrier/network.

If you give your number out to all and sundry and some of those individuals turn out to be *******s, think about changing your behaviour.
tomjleeds is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:26 AM   #12
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
As far as I'm concerned DND was not intended to be used like this. It can and it is, but it is not what I believe the feature was for in the first place.

I would not want to have to list all contacts I care to receive call from. Instead, I list 3 contacts total that can get past my DND. I use DND at night and in the event there is an emergency, there are people who can get a hold of me. The rest of the people who are my contacts will have to wait or figure out that they have to call twice to get in touch with me.

Aside from that, there are people who call me that aren't in my contacts. Whether it be job prospects or my current company. I wouldn't want them to get my voice mail every time just because I don't have them on my exception list.

As far as Verizon goes, you can call them and get the number blacklisted, I have. Though it is not specific to the iPhone, it is possible with your carrier.

I might be wrong but I understood that if you use DND but mark your friends as favourites they will be able to call you but can not text you.

I use an app called DND Whitelist which easilly allows you to pick who you want to be able to ring you and those people can text you too. You don't need to jailbreak your phone for this app as its available from the Apple app store.

I get a lot of calls from agencies offering work and when I don't need work I just apply this app to be on all the time.
wrkactjob is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:33 AM   #13
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

Port your existing number to Google Voice, then get a new unknown to anyone but you number that you forward GV to. GV has it's own Do Not Disturb feature if you want to completely block things from time to time. And you can also block individual numbers as "spam" and the caller will get a "this number is not in service recording".
BruiserB is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:47 AM   #14
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppamac31 View Post
Is there any such way to do it? Why is this feature not offered to the end user instead of at the service provider level? I'm still on iOS 5 on the iPhone 4S.
You can jailbreak your phone with absinthe and install a black list app on cydia.

For iOS 5.1.1 https://sites.google.com/site/greenp...edirects=0&d=1

For iOS 5.0.1 http://cache.greenpois0n.com/dl/absinthe-mac-0.4.zip

There is not a jailbreak for ios 5.0.0
rabidz7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:58 AM   #15
katmeef
macrumors 6502

Remove your sim
katmeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:11 AM   #16
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ummmmm yeah. IF you have DND on and that persons number isn't in your favorites it won't ring.... how will this NOT be of use?
Because Apple's DND is a half ass implementation that doesn't work. If your screen is on, nothing gets blocked.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Nale72
macrumors regular

I believe that TrueCaller will do what you are looking for?

It's too bad though that you can't use it to let you do an automatic search on who's calling like you can do on the Android app, so that you can see who's calling even though they are not in your contacts. But I hope that Apple make this possible in the future.
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 AM   #18
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502

On android there are many whitelist / blacklist apps, most of them dont work. In ios, you have to call the person and tell them not to call you.

Last edited by hgrimberg; Dec 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
hgrimberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:21 AM   #19
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
You could if you jailbreak.

iBlacklist
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

This is one major feature that iOS is lacking that I kind of miss from Android. Only way to get it is by jailbreaking and no Do Not Disturb does NOT serve the same purpose.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:49 PM   #21
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Because Apple's DND is a half ass implementation that doesn't work. If your screen is on, nothing gets blocked.
Then don't answer it! Problem solved!

Yes it's not as good as an iBlacklist but ffs, it does exactly what it's mean to do.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:58 PM   #22
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Then don't answer it! Problem solved!

Yes it's not as good as an iBlacklist but ffs, it does exactly what it's mean to do.
No it doesn't. Apple's DND is a poor rip off of the call blockers from Android and doesn't work when needed. And I think the point of this thread is lost on you.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:10 AM   #23
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is there any such way to do it?
That's one of the big reasons I use Google Voice. Unwanted callers get the "number not in service" message when they call me. There's also the option to send the caller directly to voicemail and delete the voicemail all without my knowledge of the call.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:23 PM   #24
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjleeds View Post
If you have a stalker, call your carrier/network.
Or the police.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:40 PM   #25
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
Just turn off your phone until you get a call that you want to answer.
Did you read that carefully before you pressed the <Submit Reply> button?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone