Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Passcode lock erase data ?

If the data is erased will i still be able to track the lost phone using find my iPhone?

Are you guys leaving erase data after 10 fail attempts on ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

If the data on your phone is erased, so will the iCloud account you would use to track your phone, so no. You won't be able to track it if it's wiped.

I no longer use a passcode (too annoying to disable every time I needed Siri for something) but when I did, I did not use the option to wipe the phone after 10 failed attempts.
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
falterego
macrumors 6502

I have a complex passcode that is required after an hour (basically when I wake up in the morning and perhaps once later in the day). It is set to never wipe the data. The chances of someone guessing my passcode are pretty slim. 29 characters that are mixed case, numbers, punctuation and spaces. Not too worried. I can initiate a wipe from either iCloud or my Exchange server.
falterego is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by falterego View Post
I have a complex passcode that is required after an hour (basically when I wake up in the morning and perhaps once later in the day). It is set to never wipe the data. The chances of someone guessing my passcode are pretty slim. 29 characters that are mixed case, numbers, punctuation and spaces. Not too worried. I can initiate a wipe from either iCloud or my Exchange server.
Paranoid much

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
If the data is erased will i still be able to track the lost phone using find my iPhone?

Are you guys leaving erase data after 10 fail attempts on ?
No
And no
Arnezie is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:46 PM   #5
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post
I no longer use a passcode (too annoying to disable every time I needed Siri for something) but when I did, I did not use the option to wipe the phone after 10 failed attempts.
Siri works when the phone is locked.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:52 PM   #6
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
Siri works when the phone is locked.
Yes, I am aware of that. However, in order to view a map, or edit a text, or use the web, etc, you have to unlock the phone first. Easier for me to just not use a passcode.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post
Yes, I am aware of that. However, in order to view a map, or edit a text, or use the web, etc, you have to unlock the phone first. Easier for me to just not use a passcode.
Those aren't Siri.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:12 PM   #8
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
Those aren't Siri.
It is when you say "google <phrase>", or say "take me to <place>"
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
falterego
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
Paranoid much

Paranoid much

No, my phone is my everything device. With it a person would have access to almost all of my email accounts, my bank accounts, my Google authenticator, my contacts, password and other account information for work. I'd rather be inconvenienced for 10 seconds a couple times a day than have to deal with the huge problem that would ensue if my phone were stolen with a simple 4 digit passcode. I selected the option to not wipe after 10 tries because, like many people, I have some dickish friends.
falterego is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, my phone is my everything device. With it a person would have access to almost all of my email accounts, my bank accounts, my Google authenticator, my contacts, password and other account information for work. I'd rather be inconvenienced for 10 seconds a couple times a day than have to deal with the huge problem that would ensue if my phone were stolen with a simple 4 digit passcode. I selected the option to not wipe after 10 tries because, like many people, I have some dickish friends.
With a 4 digit pass code there are 10,000 possible codes , With 29 characters your odds shoot up into the multi millions of possible guesses. So yea your a bit paranoid.
Arnezie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:51 PM   #11
falterego
macrumors 6502

No, not paranoid.
falterego is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:26 PM   #12
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
With a 4 digit pass code there are 10,000 possible codes , With 29 characters your odds shoot up into the multi millions of possible guesses. So yea your a bit paranoid.
More like, with a 4-digit pass code, there already are multi millions of possible guesses.
cyks is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
More like, with a 4-digit pass code, there already are multi millions of possible guesses.
You must know some new math 4 numbers 10 possible numbers each = 10,000 combinations
Arnezie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:58 PM   #14
falterego
macrumors 6502

Just to add, if you don't have the phone set to wipe, it is fairly easy to build a program to go through all 10,000 options in a matter of minutes. With a complex passcode it's not such an easy task. If I can't send a remote wipe command to my phone at least I know it'll take them years if not lifetimes to guess the passcode I used.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:45 PM   #15
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You must know some new math 4 numbers 10 possible numbers each = 10,000 combinations
No, just smart enough to realize that passwords are case sensitive and can include letters.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:57 PM   #16
Uguubot
macrumors member

Quote:
The guy said he uses punctuation so he must use an alphanumeric password instead of the keypad one
Uguubot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Just to add, if you don't have the phone set to wipe, it is fairly easy to build a program to go through all 10,000 options in a matter of minutes. With a complex passcode it's not such an easy task. If I can't send a remote wipe command to my phone at least I know it'll take them years if not lifetimes to guess the passcode I used.
Indeed.

There are cracks available for iOS devices that only use a 4 digit passcode.

The number of combinations is trivial for a computer to brute force.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:27 AM   #18
falterego
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Indeed.

There are cracks available for iOS devices that only use a 4 digit passcode.

The number of combinations is trivial for a computer to brute force.
Hell, I've brute forced open a physical lock box with a 4 digit combo. It only took a couple hours scrolling wheels around before I got to the combo in the 2400 range. By my math I could have gone through all 10k options in about 8-9 hours. Would be even faster if I didn't have to pull a lever at each number (like the iPhone that just immediately goes on the 4th number entered)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #19
levymetal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hell, I've brute forced open a physical lock box with a 4 digit combo. It only took a couple hours scrolling wheels around before I got to the combo in the 2400 range. By my math I could have gone through all 10k options in about 8-9 hours. Would be even faster if I didn't have to pull a lever at each number (like the iPhone that just immediately goes on the 4th number entered)
I know I'm thread digging here, but this article is a top result for a common search, so I thought I'd add the following information which many people will find useful.

After 5 failed attempts, the iPhone makes you wait before you can try another code. This ranges from 1 minute on the 6th to 60 minutes on the 9th & 10th. Every 10 codes takes 141 minutes of waiting, which for 10,000 combinations is a maximum of 98 days of continuous trying and waiting. Of course it depends on your passcode and algorithm used (could start with most common pincodes first and work backwards), but still, brute forcing isn't as easy as you'd think.

Source: http://cinnamonthoughts.org/2010/09/...iled-attempts/

Having said that, I still let my iPhone erase it's data after 10 failed attempts. Insurance covers the bulk of it, so the few hundred $$$ I have to pay out of my pocket to replace it is nothing compared to having someone potentially access my data.
levymetal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #20
MEJHarrison
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Or do what I do. Get an app that stores all those passwords and account numbers and photos and whatever else you don't want someone to see. My entire life is on my phone and I don't have a passcode. Because the important stuff is securely encrypted on my phone. Also, I keep my phone on me 24x7. People don't have an opportunity to mess with my device.

That said, my kids love passcodes. My 10 year old has had to reset his iPod I don't know how many times now because he changes it constantly and forgets.
MEJHarrison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:25 PM   #21
falterego
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by levymetal View Post
I know I'm thread digging here, but this article is a top result for a common search, so I thought I'd add the following information which many people will find useful.

After 5 failed attempts, the iPhone makes you wait before you can try another code. This ranges from 1 minute on the 6th to 60 minutes on the 9th & 10th. Every 10 codes takes 141 minutes of waiting, which for 10,000 combinations is a maximum of 98 days of continuous trying and waiting. Of course it depends on your passcode and algorithm used (could start with most common pincodes first and work backwards), but still, brute forcing isn't as easy as you'd think.

Source: http://cinnamonthoughts.org/2010/09/...iled-attempts/

Having said that, I still let my iPhone erase it's data after 10 failed attempts. Insurance covers the bulk of it, so the few hundred $$$ I have to pay out of my pocket to replace it is nothing compared to having someone potentially access my data.
Good point. I realized this yesterday when I had a user bring back their device. I was not able to get into it and had to plug into iTunes in recovery mode to do a restore. Another reason why my phone is set to wipe after 3 incorrect attempts. I'm not letting them get that far.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone