Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
ALMF
macrumors regular

Question Thinking of getting a 5 at Walmart. Advice needed

I currently have an iPhone 4 with AT&T and eligible for upgrade. Iím thinking of getting the 5 at the current discount that Walmart is offering. My questions are:

1. How do I activate/set it up? Do they do it at Walmart or do I do this at home and how difficult will it be?

2. What are the better ways of selling my iPhone 4?

3. Do I need to get my old phone unlocked to sell and at what point do I do this?

thank you
ALMF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
macher
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMF View Post
I currently have an iPhone 4 with AT&T and eligible for upgrade. Iím thinking of getting the 5 at the current discount that Walmart is offering. My questions are:

1. How do I activate/set it up? Do they do it at Walmart or do I do this at home and how difficult will it be?

3. Do I need to get my old phone unlocked to sell and at what point do I do this?

thank you
Walmart will activate your iPhone 5.

The iPhone 4 might sell faster if it's unlocked.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

If you buy it at Walmart they will activate it for you. After you have your new iPhone 5 working just get your phone unlocked and sell it on Craigslist or eBay.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I didn't want to post in that super-big thread and the subject line of this thread works for my question as well...

I have a family account with three iPhones. Only my line is eligible for an upgrade, but I'm thinking about giving an iPhone 5 to my daughter for Xmas. I'd like to get the cheapest price available (Walmart), but would ideally like it to be completely unactivated and wrapped under the tree, and then activate it (for her line) afterwards. Is there any way to make that all work with this Walmart deal?

If not, can I do the following...Buy the phone at Walmart and have them activate it for my #, but keep my old iPhone 4S active as well. I'm hoping that if I keep the new iPhone 5 powered down completely, calls would still ring into my iPhone 4S. Then, after she unwraps the iPhone 5, we'd need to go to an AT&T store and have them re-program her iPhone 5 SIM to be for her phone #.

If, on the other hand, when Walmart activates the new phone, my old iPhone 4S ceases to work with my #, that will be more of a butt pain. Then, I guess, I'd have to use the new iPhone 5 until Xmas and somehow keep it hidden from her.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5
travis.hansen
macrumors regular

Quote:

thank you
The phone will come with a sim in it. They will activate it there upon purchase. You will leave with a working phone.

Get your iPhone factory unlocked, it will sell faster and for more money. Avoid eBay. Sell local cash only on a local classified ad

Take in a printed ad from At&t or Apple's website. Places like walmart often times charge a little more but will price match if you bring in a printed ad.

Good luck and enjoy your new device.
travis.hansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6
ALMF
macrumors regular

well there was a sudden twist to my situation today. Rain, phone falls, it mostly works but can't hear people talk through the internal speaker.

so much for selling the old phone. lol
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I didn't want to post in that super-big thread and the subject line of this thread works for my question as well...

I have a family account with three iPhones. Only my line is eligible for an upgrade, but I'm thinking about giving an iPhone 5 to my daughter for Xmas. I'd like to get the cheapest price available (Walmart), but would ideally like it to be completely unactivated and wrapped under the tree, and then activate it (for her line) afterwards. Is there any way to make that all work with this Walmart deal?

If not, can I do the following...Buy the phone at Walmart and have them activate it for my #, but keep my old iPhone 4S active as well. I'm hoping that if I keep the new iPhone 5 powered down completely, calls would still ring into my iPhone 4S. Then, after she unwraps the iPhone 5, we'd need to go to an AT&T store and have them re-program her iPhone 5 SIM to be for her phone #.

If, on the other hand, when Walmart activates the new phone, my old iPhone 4S ceases to work with my #, that will be more of a butt pain. Then, I guess, I'd have to use the new iPhone 5 until Xmas and somehow keep it hidden from her.
As far as I know, once you purchase a phone (Wal-Mart, etc) as an updrade they activate your phone on the spot and your old phone is deactivated.

The only thing I can think of you doing is the following, however, I have Verizon and only know that you can do this through Verizon as I've never had a different carrier:

On VerizonWireless.com you can switch (activate and deactivate) devices on your account. I believe you would activate the new phone at Wal-Mart and then go home and reactivate your old phone. The i5 would then be deactivated. Once X-Mas happens, you can take the i5 and activate it on the other line.

It sounds complicated but whenever I upgrade I just give my wife my older phone b/c she doesn't really care about them too much. I just swap them out online under the "Change Device" tab.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:38 PM   #8
robertbooth
macrumors newbie

Walmart wireless associate

It is possible to do a upgrade without activating the phone. I do it all the time when someone wants to use it as a gift. Before the end of the activation i just have to call retail support to do the upgrade on their end and we just print out the physical contract to be signed. It really depends on if that Walmart associate want to go the extra mile for you
robertbooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:37 AM   #9
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbooth View Post
It is possible to do a upgrade without activating the phone. I do it all the time when someone wants to use it as a gift. Before the end of the activation i just have to call retail support to do the upgrade on their end and we just print out the physical contract to be signed. It really depends on if that Walmart associate want to go the extra mile for you
Thanks for the info!
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:55 AM   #10
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:

thank you
Turn it on, put micro sim with your number into phone
Plug into iTunes click restore
No
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:31 PM   #11
nikhilkas
macrumors newbie

I got my phone at Walmart. Asked if I could activate the phone later and the rep said no. Guess the policy might differ from store to store.
nikhilkas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone