Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
So, I have an 8,1 24" iMac (Early 2008) and leave the power applied almost all the time. I do this because it takes forever to boot ML. The bad thing is that it tends to freeze up a lot when I do this.
I am patiently waiting for my Late 2012 iMac 27", 3.4GHz, 1TB/Fusion, 680MX (still processing) and wonder if I will have the same need to leave it powered on. Do you guys leave your machine on? And for what purposes?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, I have an 8,1 24" iMac (Early 2008) and leave the power applied almost all the time. I do this because it takes forever to boot ML. The bad thing is that it tends to freeze up a lot when I do this.
I am patiently waiting for my Late 2012 iMac 27", 3.4GHz, 1TB/Fusion, 680MX (still processing) and wonder if I will have the same need to leave it powered on. Do you guys leave your machine on? And for what purposes?

There are dozens of "sleep or shutdown" threads where you'll find many Mac users run months at a time without shutting down. Either is perfectly fine.

Poll: Do you turn you MBP off?
Should I sleep or shut down when I'm away?
If you guys always sleep and never shut down...
MacBook Pro: Sleep or Shut Down?
Is it 'bad' to never shut an iMac down, but instead sleep it?
Do you shut down or sleep your MBA?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It should be fine powered on all the time. As per your current iMac, what kind of freezing is it and what graphics card does it have in it?

Snoosedaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Colorado Springs
It should be fine powered on all the time. As per your current iMac, what kind of freezing is it and what graphics card does it have in it?

Everything is stock, except for RAM and HDD. I'll get the beach ball, and sometimes the grey screen of death.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 11.52.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 11.52.02 AM.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 70

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
I always have left my machines on. I only restart when required to do so from an update. Although, with the fusion drive this thing boots right up so I may change my tactics. Meh, probably not though; I like to sit right down, tap a key, and have it ready to go.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I just rebooted my new 2012 27" iMac and it took less than 10 seconds to boot. So no matter what, it'll run fast and good ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.