Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brazilian electronics maker IGB Electronica SA has announced a new line of Android phones under the IPHONE brand, a trademark that was originally applied for in Brazil in 2000.

NewImage21.png
From Reuters:
The first model will be called "Neo One," IGB said in a securities filing. The company was formed this year after the restructuring of Gradiente Eletronica SA, which had applied for exclusive rights in Brazil to register its products under the name IPHONE in 2000.
Apple will either file a lawsuit, or perhaps more likely, begin negotiations for a settlement deal.

Apple was involved in a similar trademark issue in China, with Proview owning the "iPad" trademark. Apple ended up paying that company $60 million to gain control of the 'iPad' trademark.

Brazil is an important country for Apple. The company has begun hiring for new Apple Stores in the country, which would be its first locations in South America and Apple and Foxconn have begun iPad and iPhone production there.

Finally, Apple CEO Tim Cook has said in the past that Brazil is the company's next big target after China.

Article Link: Firm Launches 'IPHONE' Brand of Android Phones, Touts Trademark Ownership in Brazil

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder how much they're hoping to extract from Apple. I wonder how much Apple is going to be willing to part with to secure the iPhone trademark in Brazil.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It will be an interesting to see what happens.

Brazilian gov't fought hard to get manufacturing jobs and keeping Apple happy is a part of that. So, Apple does have leverage to get that company to transfer the rights.

The fact that they didn't use the trademark until now will only weaken their defense against this.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
That phone is ugly and doesn't deserve the iPhone name (whether it is in all caps or not).

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Just let them have the name and call it the Apple phone, and watch it still get destroyed.

You've likely never tried it.

A money grab? If they had the name since 2000 how can it really be a money grab?

Yeah, and 13 years later they decide to put out a phone :rolleyes:

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Funny thing is this thing will probably sell more units than the iPhone since you have to pay 1200 dollars to get an out-of-contract iPhone.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just let them have the name and call it the Apple phone, and watch it still get destroyed.

Yeah, and 13 years later they decide to put out a phone :rolleyes:

Whatever. Fanboys will see it only as a money grab. I see it as opportunistic.

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Whatever. Fanboys will see it only as a money grab. I see it as opportunistic.

The phone only came-out now because of a giant reorganization that took place on the company to avoid bankruptcy, so not a money grab, they were once a big brand in Brazil that could compete with Sony and other TV brands.

penguintheft

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
California
A money grab? If they had the name since 2000 how can it really be a money grab?

Because by using the name now they are getting Apple's attention and banking on one of two things:
Either Apple will pay them off, or;
Buyers will be confused and get this iPhone instead of the one they intended.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The phone only came-out now because of a giant reorganization that took place on the company to avoid bankruptcy, so not a money grab, they were once a big brand in Brazil that could compete with Sony and other TV brands.

Try to tell these guys that.

domesposito

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if there's something wrong/illegal with them exploiting Android in this situation. I mean at least with the iPad trademark in China the product was its own. This time a company is exploiting Android along with a phone just to use the name.

Do you really think they've been developing an "IPHONE" since 2000 ... probably not. Sure they are rightful owners of the name, but they just got lucky by securing a trademark and hitting a jackpot 12 years later. Now they want to get everyone worked up. I just wonder if Google will have something to say here.

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Because by using the name now they are getting Apple's attention and banking on one of two things:
Either Apple will pay them off, or;
Buyers will be confused and get this iPhone instead of the one they intended.

Buyers will get confused? People tend to look at which device they are buying before they put their money on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.