Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:13 PM   #26
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
Yea but they always end up releasing the modding tools after the modding community has been up and creating mods for months. I'm never really sure how they do it, I just hope there are plenty of mods.
No mod tools to the extent of Skyrim's mod tools were ever released for Far Cry or Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 had a basic map editor if I recall but it was to make your own maps, not to integrate into the main land. You might see some texture replacement mods, shader replacements, or some cheats, but probably not much else. Far Cry 2 only had 9 mods released according to the moddb.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam!
SilentPanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:44 PM   #27
TedM
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
No mod tools to the extent of Skyrim's mod tools were ever released for Far Cry or Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 had a basic map editor if I recall but it was to make your own maps, not to integrate into the main land. You might see some texture replacement mods, shader replacements, or some cheats, but probably not much else. Far Cry 2 only had 9 mods released according to the moddb.
Aww thats too bad. Dreams crushed...
__________________
http://www.yourpoetic.com/
TedM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:35 AM   #28
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I have had the same problem with finding animals I killed. I finally killed a goat so I could make the weapon sling, and never could find his body to claim the hide. I wish they had a Assassins Creed III type system where a little paw would point up out of the grass so you could find your kills.
I just had an animal I killed fall through the world. I only know because it was a quest one and the little blip to skin it was wayyyyy down below me. Had to restart the quest (sucks but not a big deal all things considered). So that might be what is happening with other animals. I don't need much for skins now though.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam!
SilentPanda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:10 PM   #29
spoon man
macrumors 6502a
 
spoon man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
I just had an animal I killed fall through the world. I only know because it was a quest one and the little blip to skin it was wayyyyy down below me. Had to restart the quest (sucks but not a big deal all things considered). So that might be what is happening with other animals. I don't need much for skins now though.
I've not had that but today I saw 2 jeeps explode 1 was at the side of a road and another had drove past me and blew up not sure if its a glitch or something.
__________________
'Trying is the first step towards failure.'
Homer Simpson
spoon man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:55 AM   #30
b3av3r
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Send a message via AIM to b3av3r Send a message via Yahoo to b3av3r
I had a free game rental through redbox and picked up this game.

I was definitely happy with it. It looks like it is big enough to keep things interesting for a while. I like the fact there are different quest/mission types and crafting skills but they are both simple enough you don't spend hours and hours trying to complete one quest or create one new product. Coming across money was easy as well so picking up new guns and accs. wasn't an issue.

The only major complaint I had was with the crosshairs. I just didn't like them even after upgrading several guns with red dot or reflex scopes. I didn't get to use a sniper rifle, so I am just commenting on pistols, SMGs, shotguns, and assault rifles.

Overall, very nice game and will become one of my "platinum" games when they drop the price down, because I gave up on buying games when first released a long time ago.
b3av3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:33 AM   #31
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3av3r View Post
Coming across money was easy as well so picking up new guns and accs. wasn't an issue.
Don't buy any guns. You get them for free as you turn on radio towers. You will need to buy the accessories though.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam!
SilentPanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:26 AM   #32
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
I have the game on Xbox if anyone wants to play some Co-Op. I also capture game play and upload to YouTube.

My GamerTag is "ugp".
__________________
15" MBP Mid-2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB + Crucial M4 256GB, 1GB 650m
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:33 AM   #33
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn
 
Eidorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cuidad de México
Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Don't buy any guns. You get them for free as you turn on radio towers. You will need to buy the accessories though.
The only guns I've purchased are the bolt action sniper rifle and MP5. I had a full wallet and nothing to spend my money on at the time.
__________________
Core i5 750 / 16 GB RAM / 500 GB SSD / HD 7950 / Windows 8.1
77 Month Old MacBook
Eidorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:49 AM   #34
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
I love the mayhem you only get with a sandbox, I was scoping out a Pirate compound with my Camera for roughly 5 minutes, and then a Tiger strolled in and ate everyone...

Made me feel kinda sucky at the game..
__________________
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
Dr McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:52 AM   #35
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
I love the mayhem you only get with a sandbox, I was scoping out a Pirate compound with my Camera for roughly 5 minutes, and then a Tiger strolled in and ate everyone...

Made me feel kinda sucky at the game..
If you come upon one of those compounds with a carnivore in a cage, you can snipe the cage the animal will escape and kill everybody it can in the camp. I had one with a tiger that killed the entire camp and the blue flag went up with me just firing one shot at the cage.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:07 PM   #36
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn
 
Eidorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cuidad de México
Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
I love the mayhem you only get with a sandbox, I was scoping out a Pirate compound with my Camera for roughly 5 minutes, and then a Tiger strolled in and ate everyone...

Made me feel kinda sucky at the game..
It appears I am not the only one that encountered that. I was stalking an outpost only to hear a tiger stroll up and lay on the ground behind me. It sat there like only a kitty can while I decided to ignore it and scout the outpost. Then suddenly TIGER ATTACK, base captured, 1500 XP.

What terrified me was that the tiger was still alive and I got one shot off before I got the base captured screen. After the reward splash screen the tiger was gone.
__________________
Core i5 750 / 16 GB RAM / 500 GB SSD / HD 7950 / Windows 8.1
77 Month Old MacBook
Eidorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #37
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
It appears I am not the only one that encountered that. I was stalking an outpost only to hear a tiger stroll up and lay on the ground behind me. It sat there like only a kitty can while I decided to ignore it and scout the outpost. Then suddenly TIGER ATTACK, base captured, 1500 XP.

What terrified me was that the tiger was still alive and I got one shot off before I got the base captured screen. After the reward splash screen the tiger was gone.
Must have been your spirit animal! I've had a few tigers take camps for me. I eventually started sniping from maximum distance. For whatever reason if you take everybody out that way it can often count as a stealth/no alarm takeover.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam!
SilentPanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:57 PM   #38
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Thanks for the insightful reviews. I'm adding this to my Buy list. Right after I finish Borderlands 2. Oh, and that dusty copy of Uncharted 3 I've yet to start.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:32 AM   #39
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
I've been working on taking all the Bases and it's awesome to shot a cage and let the animal do all the work. I like how the game lets me choose when to continue with the story and all. There are so many collectible items to get.

I've never had a game get my heart racing before like Far Cry 3 does. Some of the relics being in the middle of the ocean filled with sharks is terrifying even though it's only a game.
__________________
15" MBP Mid-2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB + Crucial M4 256GB, 1GB 650m
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:34 PM   #40
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
My copy has only just arrived today, and I'm just updating before my first launch... Looking forward to this and hope it doesn't leave me questioning what the fuss is all about after I thought COD : Black Ops 2 was pretty average, and very over rated.


Running at 1920x1080p with settings on Very High, looks good impressions of first introductory mission are good. Now to explore
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Dec 22, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:11 AM   #41
Taustin Powers
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Been playing a lot lately, up to 28% completion overall. Not terribly far with the missions, just doing a lot of radio towers and outposts, etc.

Gameplay-wise, I like it better than FC2, which I already loved. However, I must say I preferred the African setting for its landscape. It seemed more "real" and was more varied IMO. The island is beautiful, but a little samey after awhile. It has more interesting stuff to do though, so it doesn't get boring!

Reading up a little on the game, it seems there are actually TWO islands, a "North" and a "South" Island. Does this mean, the map that I'm working on opening up right now is actually only HALF the map of the game? Or are both islands on the same map? Will I at some point reach a point in the story missions where I can't complete some of the side stuff anymore? I remember in FC2, I couldn't go back and do the hitman missions in the Northern map, and also nothing after the game was over.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:04 AM   #42
ugp
macrumors 65816
 
ugp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Inverness, Florida
Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taustin Powers View Post
Reading up a little on the game, it seems there are actually TWO islands, a "North" and a "South" Island. Does this mean, the map that I'm working on opening up right now is actually only HALF the map of the game? Or are both islands on the same map? Will I at some point reach a point in the story missions where I can't complete some of the side stuff anymore? I remember in FC2, I couldn't go back and do the hitman missions in the Northern map, and also nothing after the game was over.
Once the South Island is opened up you can travel back and forth between the two. Until it's opened up you can travel to the South Island at all even by boat. If I remember correctly you can see the Radio Towers on the map of the South Island but just can't get to them. I tried and killed myself. I feared this same thing.

Even once you beat all the Story Missions you can continue on, it gives you the option once you beat the game. This is so you can buy all the Maps and find all the Relics and Loot Boxes if you must.
__________________
15" MBP Mid-2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB + Crucial M4 256GB, 1GB 650m
iPhone 5 16GB Black
2nd Gen 16GB iPad Mini
ugp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:27 AM   #43
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Yeah I've finished the game now, I liked how every radio tower was slightly different rather than same thing.

Ended up having lots of money that wasn't really useful other than topping up ammo at quick lockers in the bases.

Also selling stuff is pretty redundant too.

Excellent game overall, though a few disappointments which I wont share as they inevitably lead to story spoilers.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:19 AM   #44
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603
 
2nyRiggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
I'm enjoying FC3 especially how I can go about the missions stealth like and if I'm lucky never get detected. I'm always running out of wallet space because money in this game is in a abundance or maybe I'm doing something right.

I hate those cheetahs/tigers, sneaky bastards always ruining my hiding spot. I make it my mission to wipe them off the rock island map...is that bad


Bless
__________________
I take everything to Jah in prayer
2ny, do something righteous with your life..
2nyRiggz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:22 PM   #45
TedM
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
I ended picking it up. I'm so pleased with the story quality and voice acting its unreal.
__________________
http://www.yourpoetic.com/
TedM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:57 PM   #46
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nyRiggz View Post
I'm enjoying FC3 especially how I can go about the missions stealth like and if I'm lucky never get detected. I'm always running out of wallet space because money in this game is in a abundance or maybe I'm doing something right.

I hate those cheetahs/tigers, sneaky bastards always ruining my hiding spot. I make it my mission to wipe them off the rock island map...is that bad


Bless
Have you got the maxed out wallet yet ?




My biggest gripe is that the game needs more NPC interactions like Skyrim or Oblivion. And by 50% into the game I was sick and tired of the same old pirates and same old ratyak.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:25 AM   #47
Taustin Powers
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Have you got the maxed out wallet yet ?




My biggest gripe is that the game needs more NPC interactions like Skyrim or Oblivion. And by 50% into the game I was sick and tired of the same old pirates and same old ratyak.
"Who's the man? Me!"

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

"What the ### is that smell?"


I felt like I had heard all these lines a hundred times already, and then I took an arrow to the knee.
Taustin Powers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:31 PM   #48
spoon man
macrumors 6502a
 
spoon man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
There's not much to do once you have complete the main story and cleared out all the pirates , and looking for the diamonds and letters is a bit tiresome after a while.

If I start the game again would I be able to keep my guns and player upgrades like you can do in Borderlands ?
__________________
'Trying is the first step towards failure.'
Homer Simpson
spoon man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:49 PM   #49
Bloodraw850
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
I can't tell you how many times I've been sneaking up to take a fort and screamed like a little girl when a tiger attacks me out of no where. Great times indeed!
Bloodraw850 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:23 PM   #50
spoon man
macrumors 6502a
 
spoon man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Is anyone else encountering the online glitches?.
__________________
'Trying is the first step towards failure.'
Homer Simpson
spoon man is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC