Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hatchpet-150x152.jpg
Clear, which was designed by Impending and Realmac Software, took the app world by storm when it was released, thanks to an innovative gesture-based interface and simple list making tools.

The team that made Clear is working on another app, one that looks just as promising. This time, though, productivity isn't the goal. Instead, the two companies have dreamed up a new virtual pet simulation game called Hatch.

Tamagotchis, those digital handheld pets that were popular in the '90's, have slowly made their way into the App Store. For example, virtual iPhone pet Hatchi has been available in the App Store since early 2012, but based on both video and screenshots, Hatch is an entirely new experience that aims to turn the iPhone itself into a companion creature.

A teaser video reveals that each user will get a pet "Fugu." The pet appears to interact with users in a variety of ways on the iPhone, including those outside the app itself, like through music playing.

As the video says, "You love your iPhone and starting early next year, it's going to love you back."

Hatch will launch in 2013, but visiting the Hatchpet website at this time presents a special opportunity to choose a Fugu in a special color when signing up for the site via email.

Article Link: Makers of To-Do App 'Clear' Devise New Virtual Pocket Pet for the iPhone

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I had a Tamagotchi back in the day and enjoyed for 2 weeks until I lost interest in it. This looks like a fun app, good way to introduce it to the new generation, but I'm sure attention spans have decreased since then :p

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Bah, it looks endearing and well-designed! I'll hold any criticism until after I try it out.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Why do so many people post about what they are not going to do? Who are you trying to impress with your apparently unlimited restraint in not getting a toy app for your not-priced-like-a-toy iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad?

Is that some kind of new hipster thing? Not getting apps?

Just you all know, I will not be going to the airport tomorrow unlike thousands of other sheeple in Austin.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I will not be getting this app. I also will not be getting a massage today. Nor will I speak Hebrew. I could go on and on, really, but, well, I won't do that either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.