Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skitch-150x148.png
When Skitch was purchased by Evernote, the 2.0 update that came after the acquisition was not well received. Key features like minimizing the app to the menu bar, choosing a file format for screenshots, and the corner resizing of images were removed in the name of simplicity.

An update in September brought back some of the missing features, and today, Skitch for Mac was updated again, adding back even more features removed with the original 2.0 update.

With the new version (2.0.3) of the image editing and sharing app, Skitch users will see the return of features like custom styles and colors, the option to auto copy URLs for uploaded images, a redesigned sharing interface, and more tool sizes. In addition to restoring classic features, Evernote has also updated Skitch with more sharing options, improved performance, and timed screenshot captures.

The Skitch update can be downloaded directly from the Evernote website, and should be live in the Mac App Store as soon as Apple approves the new version. Skitch is a free download. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Skitch for Mac Update Brings Back Classic Features

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
To me Skitch always seemed a little pathetic compared to the mighty Evernote. Maybe I'll give it another try.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Skitch 2.0 was a poor shadow of its former self, and it is an application i used almost daily. To the developers credit they have listened to the feedback and brought the features back that they removed. Hopefully the new update will make precise resizing much easier.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
How is it that the re-addition of old features can now be considered a great update? But, it's true and I'm not just talking about this app. It seems to be a pervasive problem nowadays.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The killer of the original 2.0 was that it insisted on saving to the "cloud" and not locally. Is that a "classic feature" that came back? If not, I'll just stick with version 1.

Ramboxman

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
NIce Looking

It is a better looking version but I still and going to stick with the old for two reason undo in the right boarder and snap or cam. Seems like all the options on the right from the old version are still not being implemented. Undo should of been carry over from day one especially if you can run this full screen. I realize a shortcut exists but I would forget since I do not use this daily.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
How is it that the re-addition of old features can now be considered a great update? But, it's true and I'm not just talking about this app. It seems to be a pervasive problem nowadays.

deprecation and dumbing down is the new "adding features" :rolleyes:
All in the crazy assumption that subtracting half a second of launch time if at all (speedier "optimized" app) is merrier than a fully functional app.

Cheers

Glassed Silver:mac

gnurf

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Wow, this is utter ****. I was ready to buy it back before they got gobbled up by Evernote, then there was no paid version anymore. I use it to grab screenshots and make notes on them, then upload to my own server. Now that option is gone - the only reason I used Skitch over the built-in screenshot feature in OS X!

Back to drag & dropping images to by Forklift bookmarklets after editing in Acorn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.