Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Was thinking how long VZW will offer grandfathered unlimited data. The last chance for unlimited data on a 2 year contract was 6/2012. So at least those that have a 2 year contract are somewhat protected until 6/2014.

I'm out of contract with unlimited data and realize if I want a new device and want to retain unlimited data I either have to pay full retail or bring in a used device. Since I'm out of contract I suppose VZW can inform me that I need to pick a tiered plan. However that would p**ss me off since I bought an iPhone 5 at full retail to retain unlimited data. When I bought the full price iPhone 5 I had a month left on my contract.

Verizon doesn't throttle 4G but they have the right to network optimize. I see areas and regions getting congested and I'm confident that VZW will start to implement network optimization. VZW says their network optimization isn't the same as what the competition does in regards to throttling.

What are your thoughts on the future of Verizon grandfathered unlimited data?

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
What are your thoughts on the future of Verizon grandfathered unlimited data?

If a wireless carrier CAN screw you, they WILL screw you. The only question is how soon it will happen and whether they're kind enough to use lube.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Do you buy at full retail or subsidized price?

I bought at subsidized, actually only ended up paying about $42 for my iPhone 5. I dont use that much data but it no doubt takes Pandora and other streaming apps of the table.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I bought at subsidized, actually only ended up paying about $42 for my iPhone 5. I dont use that much data but it no doubt takes Pandora and other streaming apps of the table.

You said VZW couldn't wait to dump your unltd plan but you bought at subsidized pricing. Didn't you know when you buy at subsidized pricing(upgrade) you lose unltd data?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If a wireless carrier CAN screw you, they WILL screw you. The only question is how soon it will happen and whether they're kind enough to use lube.

What's amazing is how long people did not understand this when the iPhone was only on AT&T in the U.S. I'm on Verizon now because the network is so much better, but Verizon will do the same stuff and and have the same type of troubles any carrier would. Had Verizon been the initial iPhone carrier, it would've been slammed by traffic and sucking wind trying to upgrade. When it got the iPhone, wow did it ditch unlimited data in a hurry.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
agreed, I got my iphone 5 and they couldnt wait to dump my unlimited plan.

There is a difference between them screwing you out of your data plan and you opting out by buying a phone at the subsidized price.

Even still, every wireless carrier that I know of will take your money and make you feel as though it is a privilege to be a customer.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I think they'll try throttling before they actually kick you off unlimited. When it was announced that you could keep the plan with customer provided equipment, they seemed to acknowledge that maintaining unlimited data would be acceptable for the foreseeable future.

The number of people out there with unlimited plans are shrinking by the day, so no doubt VZ is pleased with their decision.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I think they'll try throttling before they actually kick you off unlimited. When it was announced that you could keep the plan with customer provided equipment, they seemed to acknowledge that maintaining unlimited data would be acceptable for the foreseeable future.

The number of people out there with unlimited plans are shrinking by the day, so no doubt VZ is pleased with their decision.

I think VZW will implement a throttling/network management policy similar to AT&T.

It's known that VZW is having issues in the likes of NYC and they'll need to do something.

Throttling costs less per GB for a carrier.

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I think VZW will implement a throttling/network management policy similar to AT&T.

It's known that VZW is having issues in the likes of NYC and they'll need to do something.

Throttling costs less per GB for a carrier.

Verizon can't throttle LTE on the 700mhz band until the FCC changes its mind and. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The real question is what will they do when they implement VOLTE (voice over LTE) when everything is data?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Verizon can't throttle LTE on the 700mhz band until the FCC changes its mind and. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The real question is what will they do when they implement VOLTE (voice over LTE) when everything is data?

Exactly.
They can throttle 3G data but their 3G is very slow to begin with.
And like said above they are not allowed to throttle LTE data.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think unlimited plans invite laziness. Cellular networks are finite resource and the last thing I want is more towers having to be put up, at considerable expense and potential harmful effects, to satiate people that want to stream Pandora all day long.

It's easy to remember there are nigh 7 billion other people on the planet and find ways to conserve your network impact by storing data locally or leveraging Wifi networks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I think unlimited plans invite laziness. Cellular networks are finite resource and the last thing I want is more towers having to be put up, at considerable expense and potential harmful effects, to satiate people that want to stream Pandora all day long.

It's easy to remember there are nigh 7 billion other people on the planet and find ways to conserve your network impact by storing data locally or leveraging Wifi networks.

Great logic.
People on unlimited data plans or that stream pandora or other services are all lazy:rolleyes:

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
unlimited is fading out, you just need to accept it. As most cell phones use data for almost anything and less people are talking but more are iMessaging, it makes sense.

Really I think you'll find that with the new plan options you could even save money sometimes. It's not that bad, and not something to wring your hands over.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The networks here all dropped unlimited plans and then most of them realised that it had no impact on people's data usage - it's actually increased since then.

They've realised that they can make a lot more money by pitching Unlimited plans at the higher end of the market.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

Pandora doesn't use that much data... Only about 30MB an hour on average. That's what I read somewhere.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You missed the "invites" party. Don't reference logic unless you're ready to actually read and comprehend what someone is trying to communicate.

Invite laziness I guess is a nicer way you tried to put it out there if you wish but doesnt make a difference. Still what you suggest doesn't make any sense.
Explain to me how having an unlimited data plan makes one lazy, will ya?
Just want to try to understand what you meant.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
The networks here all dropped unlimited plans and then most of them realised that it had no impact on people's data usage - it's actually increased since then.

They've realised that they can make a lot more money by pitching Unlimited plans at the higher end of the market.

Correcto, hence rolling over to Tmobile, hoping the truly unlimited lasts...

nyc999

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Is it a sure thing Verizon can't 'limit' unlimited 4G?

I've been enjoying unlimited 4G since 6/2012. Got in just before Verizon shelved the unlimited plans. I am eligible for upgrade early 2013. Don't plan on using the upgrade though. Will just pay full price to keep unlimited. Hopefully will get a couple of more years out of unlimited 4G.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I paid full price for my 5, my current contract runs until may of 2013. I do think they will keep unlimited until the last contract runs out ( june 2014 i think).

So if they end it then, i will sell my 5 and just take a subsidized 5s or 6 what ever is out by then.

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
macher, we are not somewhat protected while under contract. Verizon can change their policy terms at any time. If they change their policy while you are under contract you can leave without paying any early termination fees.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i have verizon LTE unlimited and actually buying the phone for full price is worth it just to keep the grandfathered thing.

i dont know, i have a good internet access at home but i kept on tethering my VZW (droid DNA) and it rocks! 5gb is so easy when watching netflix on my ipad mini and some 1080p youtube videos :p

the phone paid itself in less than a week lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.