Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macabouttobe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Michigan
Trying to get my Dad (just turned 70) to get more out of the iMac I talked him into. I've been burning his disks via iTunes, but he's got a sweet stereo system a couple rooms away. I have ATV and stream to that all the time, however his TV is the old fashioned without HDMI..

I want to give him the ability to wirelessly stream music to that stereo system.

I'm seeing some old Airport expresses (around 70-80 bucks) that may do the job, but don't know if I need to pull an ethernet cable to it to stream music. I don't want to pull any cable... Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Southshore

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
Boston, MA, New York, NY
Nothing special required

Get any Airport Express, new or old, they both will stream right from the iMac to the stereo, providing there is an RCA input jack that is open ( the red and white circular female jacks). Then all you need is a simple cable from the Airport to the receiver.
iTunes will recognize the Airport, and you can rename it something logical for him, like "Living room". If you get him an iPad, the remote app on it will let him sit in the room and control everything, song selection, volume, and control his ATV too.

Lucky dad. Good son.

macabouttobe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Michigan
Thanks for the advice!

Just nabbed an old school airport express base station that plugs into the outlet out of the refurb section. I'll help him set everything up in the next few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.