Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
How much is an iPhone? How much is a Galaxy III? an HTC One X+, etc.

And every phone I've ever owned has had lock ups or has had to be rebooted. My 4 iPhones included. And also factory reset. And had slow downs.

No tech is failproof.

iPhone 5 locked 680€ the cheapest version. You can get the SIII unlocked for just under 500€. Still almost nobody spends more than 300€ on a phone. Windows Phone are as rare as sun eclipses. iPhones not as much rare but still you don't see one every day. The S3 I've seen a few but not many. Androids specially those cheap 50~100€ phones are *everywhere*.

No tech is fail proof but my moms nokia 6680 sure worked for a lot of years (and still works but the battery is toast) and it was never turned off (unless it ran out of battery) and it never had a software update. Nowadays it's used as an alarm clock but yey it works just fine.

Her android phone that costed about 250€ had 2 firmware upgrades and got bricked once. And still has loads of problems, now try to explain to a non tech that.

Last edited:

mrfmanuel

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Good to hear that. Ethically it is not fair, but that happen to Apple for trying to pattent every foul thing like round corners. Now Apple is a target that many people (I am not talking about users) wants to attack. I would like to hear that Apple had to pay something.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I have no idea - I didn't create the images.

You're just being funny now anyway.

I love my iPhone. But I also love my Skyrocket. On my skyrocket home screen (the first/main one) I have immediate access to weather,stocks I am following, a search bar, and a few of the apps I use daily. It's great. I don't have to go in and out of apps - some information is right at my fingertips without having to do a thing. For me - and my use case - this is great. You might have a different use case.

My discussion with you revolves around the fact that while you are entitled to your opinion - it's just that - your opinion. Just like mine is mine. And everyone's use case is different. I don't belittle iPhone/iOS users (I am one with many devices) nor do I belittle Android users (I happen to have one Android device). They are both excellent platforms and both offer a lot. They both have their shortcomings as well.

I would never say one or the other was crap. That's just throwing out the baby with the bathwater. It's also hyperbole. You know it. I know it. But it certainly makes for great posting bait, doesn't it?

You're correct, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I posted mine, you lot responded [by flaming me]. (Not saying YOU but,) do I snoop about Android forums? Nope.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Not using a trademark you own for 13 years? They'd lose in a court. I may be getting granted a trademark soon, and my IP attorney told me I'd be safe as long as I had a product in the space. "You need to use the trademark" he told me.

It's pretty obvious what this company is really trying to do here.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
You're correct, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I posted mine, you lot responded [by flaming me]. (Not saying YOU but,) do I snoop about Android forums? Nope.

I use both Android and iOS, so yes I will ''snoop'' on both forums. And call out senseless points on either platforms, like I did with you.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Load of nonsense goes here...

The only Android screencap that looks okay is the second Nexus 4 one. The rest... nothing jumps out at all. The weather widget is useful, but I can get it in the Notification Centre in iOS at any point.

Someone said the home screen shouldn't do much anyway because they don't spend much time on it. Well, I suppose that's true. What's the point in all those widgets, now wasting memory and data?

Springboard does what it's meant to do PERFECTLY. Nothing more, nothing less. It's got a search box, icons, and a dock. What more does it need?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The only Android screencap that looks okay is the second Nexus 4 one. The rest... nothing jumps out at all. The weather widget is useful, but I can get it in the Notification Centre in iOS at any point.

Someone said the home screen shouldn't do much anyway because they don't spend much time on it. Well, I suppose that's true. What's the point in all those widgets, now wasting memory and data?

Springboard does what it's meant to do PERFECTLY. Nothing more, nothing less. It's got a search box, icons, and a dock. What more does it need?

It's cool. You have a preference (strong one) for iOS. That doesn't make Android bad - it just makes iOS the right choice for you.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Yeah, it looks 100x better. There's no wasted pixels, they're being used with something useful.

My opinions are mine only, I don't care if you do/don't like them. I've used an Android device, not for long, but those 10 minutes were enough to make me detest Android, on a so-called "Premium" device.

Just on a side note, how about you show the default layout, instead of a cherry-picked one that doesn't look as awesome as you know it can be. :D EDIT: Like the post by the smart guy below:

----------

Ahh, excellent. Yup, that's a perfect example of how much better it is. Look, NO WASTED PIXELS! :cool: It's colourful, vibrant, organised!

Wasted pixels?

iphone_lock_screen.jpg

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

That's only YOUR needs. Others want more. On my side, when I use Android, I only have a search box, some apps shortcut and a dock.

What's better? Being limited to one choice or having the options of many?

TIGOS

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Sao Paulo, BR
This is what you get when an American company tries to bring jobs to Brazil's tortured economy. I'd tell the Brazilian government to handle it or I'd pull out every job I was planning on bringing there and dump them in whatever country is closest that isn't full of cheating pricks. Hell, I'd pull the iPhone itself from the country. In the rest of the world we get the iPhone, but in Brazil you get the cheesy piece of crap IPHONE. Congrats, the world thinks you are morons.

It's probably glaringly obvious to most, but this attitude right here is why most people in the world don't like Americans. I'd even go as far to say in most other nations minds, it's not Brazil who are morons.

Im brazilian and i have to say: our citizens have some problems, but yours, WhoDaKat have too!

Just go fix your own problems, like guns x schools, before say anything about other countries.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
What's bad about the Brazilian 'iPhone' is they're using Android 2.3 Gingerbread, over 2 years old. Talk about worsening fragmentation.

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
@Unggoy Murderer
You know you can customize Android to however you like? When you say pixels are wasted, you do realize you can "customize" your pixels however you want...take a look at these: http://mycolorscreen.com/?os=android. As a supporter of both platforms, Android is far from dull.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
That's only YOUR needs. Others want more. On my side, when I use Android, I only have a search box, some apps shortcut and a dock.

What's better? Being limited to one choice or having the options of many?
Things that fulfil your needs should be executed by immersive, high quality, fit-for-function Apps, not the home screen and shoehorned widgets.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
I can't believe how many of you is falling for the obvious trolling in this thread...

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
@Unggoy Murderer
You know you can customize Android to however you like? When you say pixels are wasted, you do realize you can "customize" your pixels however you want...take a look at these: http://mycolorscreen.com/?os=android. As a supporter of both platforms, Android is far from dull.
*Yawns.

Why should I have to rely on a third party tool to change the appearance of my device? Anyway, if anyone spent any UI/UX time on Android, you wouldn't need to customise it.

iOS's "one size fits all" is one of its strongest points. Apple NAILED it's appearance and UX. Even to this day it feels modern and fitting, even for a nearly 6 year old OS. (that's likely been in development for longer than we've seen).

Last edited:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Im brazilian and i have to say: our citizens have some problems, but yours, WhoDaKat have too!

Just go fix your own problems, like guns x schools, before say anything about other countries.

That's a low blow. :(

I'll take the murder rate in the U.S. over that of Brazil, thank you very much.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Same discussion always.

Buy whatever you like and fits for you. Let others enjoy what is best for them.
Done.

No need to convert each other or name calling.

As for iphone trademark in Brazil, if they had it before Apple and Apple didn't buy it in anticipation of selling there Apple will need to pay up, as they were obviously asleep.

To those who say I want Apple to pay, what satisfaction does that give you? It's not you money.

Hate is good? All you show is narrowmindedness.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK

You're one sick man. And I'm not a US citizen either. You should be ashamed of yourself for bring up such a horrific act of evil.

----------

You say that as if you don't have to jailbreak your iPhone to change it's appearance.

Face it, man. Your arguments are lame and transparent at the best of times.
...if you read my post: why would anyone want to change it anyway? All of the many [tech savvy] people I know with iPhones/iPads have them at stock appearance. Some people have them jailbroken, but not to change the UI, more "add a shortcut to something".

Stop muttering bullcrap when the time suits you. Stand up and contribute to the argument rather than squatting in the shadows. It's pathetic.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Things that fulfil your needs should be executed by immersive, high quality, fit-for-function Apps, not the home screen and shoehorned widgets.

Once again, that's what you like. Many will say otherwise. Widgets can be very useful for a lot of people. And you would probably say the same if the iPhone had them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.