Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook Makes Shortlist for TIME's 2012 Person of the Year

TIME today unveiled its shortlist of people who are being considered for TIME's annual Person of the Year Award. Apple CEO Tim Cook is on the list, as well as Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer.

The Person of the Year award is given to "a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine" that has "for better or for worse done the most to influence the events of the year." TIME's editorial team decides the winner.

The two tech CEOs join notable figures like Malala Yousafzai, the young Pakistani activist who suffered a head wound after being shot by the Taliban, United States President Barack Obama, Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi, Bill and Hillary Clinton, and the three scientists behind the discovery of the Higgs Boson.

In 2011, Steve Jobs was posthumously nominated for TIME's Person of the Year by NBC Nightly News Anchor Brian Williams, but he did not win. He also did not make it to the final shortlist. This year, Cook has worked to bring some production of Apple products back to the United States, and to improve working conditions for factory employees. He also stepped up to accept responsibility for Apple's Maps failure and restructured Apple's management.

The Protestor, a group choice inspired by Mohamed Bouazizi, a Tunisian fruit vendor who famously set himself on fire in a public square, received the award in 2011, while Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg won in 2010.

TIME's 2012 winner for Person of the Year will be announced tomorrow morning.

Article Link: Tim Cook Makes Shortlist for TIME's 2012 Person of the Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:08 PM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

I wish they didn't nominate any CEOs in the list... It should be reserved to actual heroes of the world that actually thrived to make changes to help humanity without any profit-driven intent.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: no need to quote entire news story
aerok is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
LagunaSol
Banned

I think Cook is doing a great job, but Person of the Year seems premature. Much like Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize his first year in office.

And why in the world would Bill Clinton even be on the consideration list???
LagunaSol is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4
samcraig
macrumors G5

Sorry - Tim Cook is arguably a great business man - but he's no Time Person of the Year.
samcraig is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Let me get this straight, the article is giving him credit for bringing 200 jobs to the US, encouraging FoxConn to be just a semi-sweat shop instead of full sweat shop and apologizing for the Maps Fiasco and that's worth 'Person of the Year'???

That's flat out laughable.
mantan is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

If this award was handed-out by looking at the top Google search terms for the year, Kate Middleton would have easily won.

TIME's "Person of the Year" is really "The USA's Person of the Year", and even that is debatable.

I like Tim, but he's not curing cancer. Methinks we should look elsewhere for our heroes.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:15 PM   #7
dweezle3
macrumors regular

In all seriousness though, I don't think Tim has made the jump to the style of management required to put out the world changing products like Steve did. Granted, he's done a great job with what disasters he's had to deal with so far, but hasn't made any unexpected or earth shattering contributions yet. Here's hoping for 2013.

Last edited by grapes911; Dec 20, 2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: removed quote and response to now deleted post
dweezle3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:16 PM   #8
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Within the US, I'd say the American voter, or possibly Barack Obama. But since I have a US-centric view, I can't comment on who might be more appropriate at a world level, simply because I don't know what's going on worldwide nearly as much as I do in the US. We have the world's largest GDP, but there are about 7 billion people on Earth and each of them has a world within him or her, and many of them live in worlds that are influenced by people I've never heard of.

I guess I'd also wonder if they try to pick someone who promoted free-trade in the past. China's growth has been amazing in that it continues without the boom/bust cycle we're used to, and I assume it's largely because of free trade that wealth will eventually start to equalize worldwide. Wasn't Clinton largely responsible for free trade with China? Maybe he'll get a nod again!
swingerofbirch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:16 PM   #9
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Sorry - Tim Cook is arguably a great business man - but he's no Time Person of the Year.
There might some bias towards Americans but it isn't limited to only Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Why? It will still be quite some time until Apple releases a product that Jobs didn't work with. Cook hasn't had enough time to impact much.

PS- the title is really messed up
MisterKeeks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:17 PM   #11
Prof.
macrumors 601

So far it's between Gabby Douglas and John Stewart
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:17 PM   #12
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

I wonder what the criteria is for "Person of the Year."
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
I wonder what the criteria is for "Person of the Year."
Famous for anything apparently
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:19 PM   #14
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Famous for anything apparently
Then I nominate Scott Forstall well before Tim Cook. After all - he's far more "infamous" given Apple Maps and its "failing"
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:19 PM   #15
cfs112
macrumors member

Tim Cook is definitely not on Steve Job's level yet. But I like him and he is perfect as the successor as he has worked with Steve extensively in the past. By no means person of the year though.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:20 PM   #16
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

The Yahoo Mail service continues to fail. No CEO of a company should be on the short list if they can't even get their mail servers to work correctly.
FloatingBones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Krizoitz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
I wish they didn't nominate any CEOs in the list... It should be reserved to actual heroes of the world that actually thrived to make changes to help humanity without any profit-driven intent.
This is not an award or honor. It is not meant to be given to someone for being a hero. The Time Person of the Year is given to the person (or persons) who most influenced events. Past winners have included Hitler and Stalin.and the Ayatollah Khomeini.

Cook and Apple have been significantly impactful and his consideration is fair, although I don't think he should/will win.
Krizoitz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
mcfrazieriv
macrumors member

I was under the impression that the BTO macs were always finished up in the USA and that elements of the products (glass, parts) were manufactured in the USA. During the interview I heard him saying that he'd "like to see production in the USA" but currently there wasn't the skill set/education to do it?

And why the hell is this one man on the shortlist for person of the year? The company as a whole hasn't done anything spectacular over the last year other than grow products sold/increase their own cash pot

When Steve Jobs was nominated, he was nominated based on years of products he helped to create or dominate industries with. Last I checked, Tim Cook was good with the operations but nothing inspirational or industry revolutionary. Kind of seems these people who nominate are running out of ideas in a dead economy.
mcfrazieriv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
And why in the world would Bill Clinton even be on the consideration list???
Probably for their philanthropic endeavors.

Like Bill Gates, Bill Clinton has found a second act worthy of praise and attention.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:23 PM   #20
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizoitz View Post
This is not an award or honor. It is not meant to be given to someone for being a hero. The Time Person of the Year is given to the person (or persons) who most influenced events. Past winners have included Hitler and Stalin.and the Ayatollah Khomeini.

Cook and Apple have been significantly impactful and his consideration is fair, although I don't think he should/will win.
If it's for the year 2012 - the only "accomplishment" Tim really has under his belt is keeping Apple going and thriving. But isn't that the job of any CEO? Is there something that Tim has done that has put him above everyone else in 2012?

I ask earnestly. Because I can't think of anything.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:23 PM   #21
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Pretty sad that CEO, the people that Obama and the media are fighting against, is a person of the year nominee. You know the 1%. The guys who mark up everything 45%.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Rocketman
macrumors 603

The criterion for winning is part historical impact and part what sells the most magazines.

As such it is an example of "ratings driving news".

Rocketman

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 19, 2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: OT/PRSI
Rocketman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:24 PM   #23
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

How could Tim Cook be the Person of the Year if Steve Jobs did not even make it?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:26 PM   #24
Krazy Bill
Banned

Cook made the short list? He looks taller on stage.
Krazy Bill is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:27 PM   #25
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Cook is not worthy.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion