Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:14 PM   #151
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
...if you read my post: why would anyone want to change it anyway? All of the many [tech savvy] people I know with iPhones/iPads have them at stock appearance. Some people have them jailbroken, but not to change the UI, more "add a shortcut to something".
Oh, well. If the people you know don't do it...

Quote:
Stop muttering bullcrap when the time suits you. Stand up and contribute to the argument rather than squatting in the shadows. It's pathetic.
There's really no argument to contribute to here. It's just you saying something stupid, and me wasting my time bothering to reply.

Why do I keep replying? Hell, I dunno. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment or maybe hate myself or something. That's the only thing I can figure.
Renzatic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:15 PM   #152
raptorstv
Banned

I should start patenting random names that starts with i
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:21 PM   #153
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Oh, well. If the people you know don't do it...
There's really no argument to contribute to here. It's just you saying something stupid, and me wasting my time bothering to reply.

Why do I keep replying? Hell, I dunno. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment or maybe hate myself or something. That's the only thing I can figure.
Instead of coming to your own conclusions, CONTRIBUTE!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Once again, that's what you like. Many will say otherwise. Widgets can be very useful for a lot of people. And you would probably say the same if the iPhone had them.
If widgets are useful for you, awesome!

My iPhone has one on the Notification Centre. I hardly use it: I launch the app that does it 10x better- THAT'S THE POINT.

If they were on my home screen, I would disable them. iPad lock screen, might be useful to have a weather/stocks widget for "at a glance" information. But then, I could ask Siri and get it in 4 seconds. Does the job now, really.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:22 PM   #154
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

I find it funny that some people continue to ignore the fact that the "perfect" or "best" phone is all a matter of opinion to the individual. If I posted on here that I liked chocolate ice cream, I wouldn't get 20 replies telling me I'm a chocolate fanboy and blind to the real tastes of the world like vanilla and strawberry. However, if someone says they prefer Apple over Android or the other way around, everyone instantly attacks their opinion and calls them fanboys. It's all a matter of preference. There isn't really a best or better phone when you're talking two different platforms and various different phone models. There is only what someone likes best for themselves.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:22 PM   #155
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
If I can't comment on my own conclusions, then what do I contribute?
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:22 PM   #156
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You've likely never tried it.

A money grab? If they had the name since 2000 how can it really be a money grab?
Because its been 12 years and they have not produced an "IPHONE" yet
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:24 PM   #157
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
iPad lock screen, might be useful to have a weather/stocks widget for "at a glance" information. But then, I could ask Siri and get it in 4 seconds. Does the job now, really.
It'd take longer than 4 seconds. You have to hold down the home button for two, then ask Siri what you want her to look for, then wait for her to find it.

...as opposed to having it right there on your home screen.
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:26 PM   #158
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
It'd take longer than 4 seconds. You have to hold down the home button for two, then ask Siri what you want her to look for, then wait for her to find it.

...as opposed to having it right there on your home screen.
Whoopsies, 5 seconds. My mistake.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:27 PM   #159
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple will either file a lawsuit, or perhaps more likely, begin negotiations for a settlement deal.
I'm not saying this will or will not happen. I just want to say the Macrumors articles can learn a lot from Julian Assange and the Wikileaks crew. How so? Practically every blog and journalist takes the facts, puts their spin on them and prints the spin. And at times it's hard to decipher the true facts.

Assange and Wikileaks on the other hand take the facts and publish the facts. No spin. They let us decide what stance we want to take on the facts presented.

My point? We as smart Mac users do want to hear the facts and rumours. For which we are grateful Macrumors provides these to us. But we don't want to hear the spin on these rumours. Just tell us the facts and let us decide what people will or will not do with the information.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:28 PM   #160
raazman
macrumors member

Quote:
*Yawns.

Why should I have to rely on a third party tool to change the appearance of my device? Anyway, if anyone spent any UI/UX time on Android, you wouldn't need to customise it.

iOS's "one size fits all" is one of its strongest points. Apple NAILED it's appearance and UX. Even to this day it feels modern and fitting, even for a nearly 6 year old OS. (that's likely been in development for longer than we've seen).
Lol you've got to be joking me. There is no such thing as one size fits all. Anyone that does that sacrifices something in the end. This whole thread is filled with opinions. Each platform has it's pluses and minuses. I don't know why you care to bash one system when the other is not perfect either.
raazman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:30 PM   #161
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Hold on, I'll find out...

According to the stopwatch I used, it took me 8 seconds to ask Siri for Apple's current stock prices.

As opposed to a widget, which is just right there on the home screen...

Last edited by Renzatic; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Renzatic is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:30 PM   #162
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You've likely never tried it.

A money grab? If they had the name since 2000 how can it really be a money grab?
Doesn't matter if they had the name since 1950. Why else would you name your newest phone in 2012 "IPHONE"? One reason...Money from Apple.
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:43 PM   #163
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

This again?

Customer: I want an iPhone.
Sales Person: Here is your IPHONE
Customer: No. Not that POS ugly Android IPHONE.
Sales Person: Ohhhh, the nice Apple iPhone! (Pulls out Apple iPhone)
Customer: Yes, the nice Apple iPhone! (Thinks to him or herself, the sales person is an idiot and that the trademark issue is retarded )
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:47 PM   #164
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Well, and you have to speak... which isn't prudent in many scenarios. I still can't get over speaking to my device in public places.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:51 PM   #165
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I had about 10 minutes of use with the device.
Android is a pathetic, unoptimised, insecure mess. I stand by my previous comment, iOS is significantly better than Android at just about everything. (Except the USB drive functionality, you can have that one).

Did I answer your question?
You didn't need to bother typing anything, your signature kind of says it all:

Quote:
27" iMac, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM 13" MBP 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB Wifi+4G, iOS 5.1 iPhone 5 32 GB, iOS 6.0 Mac Mini 2.00 GHz, 2GB RAM
SlCKB0Y is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:53 PM   #166
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
Well, and you have to speak... which isn't prudent in many scenarios.
Damnit, grandma! Can't I have a little private time over here? I'll pass the potatoes when I'm done!
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:59 PM   #167
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:

----------

If widgets are useful for you, awesome!

My iPhone has one on the Notification Centre. I hardly use it: I launch the app that does it 10x better- THAT'S THE POINT.

If they were on my home screen, I would disable them. iPad lock screen, might be useful to have a weather/stocks widget for "at a glance" information. But then, I could ask Siri and get it in 4 seconds. Does the job now, really.
Yes because if I want to know the current weather, I rather open the app, wait a couple of seconds for it to refresh and then see the weather. So useless to just look at the screen with the weather right there for you ...Briefly said, you have no point.

And no I rather not talk everytime to get information. Siri has been great for me for one thing and that's setting alarms because it is much faster to set an alarm with Siri/Google Now/S Voice than to manually set one.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:59 PM   #168
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

OMG what the **** does a trademark dispute have to do with iOS vs android? Seriously! Android vs iOS debates are a dime a dozen, enough already!
Fruit Cake is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:01 PM   #169
matttye
macrumors 601

Their reasons for using this name and releasing a phone only now are utterly irrelevant when they own the damn trademark.

How can people actually think the company is doing something wrong here? That's absurd.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:07 PM   #170
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Meh, the thing will be a flop anyways...
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:07 PM   #171
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Their reasons for using this name and releasing a phone only now are utterly irrelevant when they own the damn trademark.

How can people actually think the company is doing something wrong here? That's absurd.
Well the intent is what's important here, would they have used the same name is the Apple iPhone wasn't so popular around the world?

The court will have to decide that if Apple decides to sue.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:14 PM   #172
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Well the intent is what's important here, would they have used the same name is the Apple iPhone wasn't so popular around the world?

The court will have to decide that if Apple decides to sue.
They won the trademark in 2000, seven years before the first iPhone came out.

So... what are you talking about?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:17 PM   #173
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Are you really going to arguing that a process which is more labor intensive and takes longer is preferable? Sincerely?
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:27 PM   #174
raazman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Are you really going to arguing that a process which is more labor intensive and takes longer is preferable? Sincerely?
I have a feeling Unggoy Murderer will support anything Apple adds or removes.
raazman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:35 PM   #175
Morshu9001
Banned

Uh, what? This article is pretty unclear. They got rights to use the name "iPhone" about 13 years ago, and they're using it now? I clicked on the article and: "On January 2, 2008, the company had its registration granted by the federal agency." So it was granted in 2008, applied for in 2000.

The question is: On what grounds would Apple sue? Does the application date or the date granted matter?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Widgets add too much clutter for some people. It's not about effort. Actually, the Notification Center kinda has widgets already except that they're neatly arranged and tucked away.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion