Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
kweevuss
macrumors newbie

Users copying files to server

I bought a 2012 mac mini server the week that it was refreshed. I went from a windows server to OSX. I am not new to OSX (I have a MBP) but I am still finding my way around osx server.

My Problem is I have file sharing setup and I have a open directory domain running on the server. If I log onto a client computer on my network and copy a file to the server from a network admin account I have; it seems to set the permissions so only that user can use it. Lets call this user "User1". User 1 can view and open any documents that are sitting on the server, the permissions I have set up work this way. I also have a separate admin user account that I use on the MM when I'm sitting in front of it. Lets call this "User2". While on the account that I'm using for my MM I cannot open any files that other users copied to the shared directories. So if User1 would copy a file to a shared directory on the server, User2 cannot open it. But when User2 copies files to directories for clients to see, the clients can open and modify them. I would like to be able to make it so that when any users copy files to the server I can view them.

I am running OSX 10.8.2 the most current version
Thanks!
kweevuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
aitche
macrumors newbie

Users copying files to server

I tried this on a Mac Mini running 10.6.8. The file was created on that machine under a normal User id, then saved to a Mac Mini server running 10.8.2 in the Shared Items folder.

The file opened using the Admin id on the server but was Locked. The file could be read with no problems, but to alter it you have to right click on the file which allows to you duplicate it and then save a copy.

Obviously, the Permissions in Shared Items have to be set, but even with Everyone being allowed to Read & Write, it still created a Locked file. Can't get over that little "feature" yet, but I'll keep looking.

Good luck.
aitche is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
kweevuss
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. That will at least get me somewhere and better than nothing.
I don't have permissions set to allow everyone, but any authenticated users are allowed to read and write

Thanks
kweevuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking