Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Launches Free Scan and Match Music Service to Compete With Apple and Amazon

Google has updated its Google Play music service with an iTunes Match-like song matching service. This means users won't have to spend hours or days uploading gigabytes of music, as they had to previously.

Notably, Google's matching service does not have a subscription fee like Apple and Amazon's do, with users matching up to 20,000 songs. While European Google Play users have been using this service for a while, this launch is new for those in the U.S.
Quote:
Traveling this season and want to make sure your music goes with you? Add up to 20,000 songs from your music collection to Google Play and stream it to your Android devices and your computer, anywhere you go.

Our new music matching feature gets your songs into your online music library on Google Play much faster. We'll scan your collection and quickly rebuild it in the cloud - all for free. And we'll stream your music back to you at up to 320 kbps.
Amazon upgraded its Cloud Player with a scan and match feature earlier this year, charging $24.99/year for the service. Apple charges the same amount for iTunes Match.

Article Link: Google Launches Free Scan and Match Music Service to Compete With Apple and Amazon
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
appleguy123
macrumors 603

It's free!? That's awesome. Hope there's an iOS app for this soon.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Razeus
macrumors 68040

How are you guys always late with the reports. I reported his already...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1510267

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Google: Free + works

Apple: Pay + doesn't work

everyone wins!
kjs862 is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Morshu9001
Banned

Google copying Apple, and Apple copying Google...
Well, this makes them more competitive (good), but you really have to choose one side of the fence. I'm already on the Apple side, so I'm hoping Apple will improve iTunes Match.
Morshu9001 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #6
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Google: Free + works

Apple: Pay + doesn't work

everyone wins!
While I somewhat agree, Google Music hasn't been "great" really. Some things about it are really nice, but there are plenty of issues. I'd say on the desktop iTunes Match actually works better than Google Music. Perhaps on the mobile side, Google Music works a little better.
TennisandMusic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

You won the internets by 3.5hrs.

/golfclap
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:53 PM   #8
TXCherokee
macrumors regular

iTunes Match has worked flawlessly for me. I'd be interested to know what issues others are having.
TXCherokee is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:55 PM   #9
nfl46
macrumors 601

I'm seriously considering moving to Android when Key Lime is released. They offer Apple like services a lot cheaper! Tired of paying premium when Google is offering their tablets, phones and services for a lower cost.

Edit: I'm aware maps are free!

Last edited by nfl46; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
nfl46 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:56 PM   #10
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCherokee View Post
iTunes Match has worked flawlessly for me. I'd be interested to know what issues others are having.
It matches my unedited music with clean versions frequently.
cmChimera is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
ppc_michael
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
Personally, I'd rather upload my own copies. My library is FLAC, so it gets transcoded to 320kbps by Google Music. I don't mind the upload time. But to each his own.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #12
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCherokee View Post
The bad part is when you try using it on the iPhone. Pretty bad there.
TennisandMusic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #13
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
While I somewhat agree, Google Music hasn't been "great" really. Some things about it are really nice, but there are plenty of issues. I'd say on the desktop iTunes Match actually works better than Google Music. Perhaps on the mobile side, Google Music works a little better.
maybe i was a bit harsh. but i'm beginning to think that apple has some tough times ahead. internet services are in google's dna, not apple's. in fact, apple has a bad track record with internet services. being that the industry is moving to all cloud computing, google will have the advantage. take for example google docs. what a great alternative to ms office. apple has been working on building their own office but failed in my opinion. and they have been hard at work on it for a long time.

i recently had to use docs and was so happy how it worked, i'm considering moving my 50gbs of data from my dropbox to google drive. and then i may even get a google phone so it all 'just works'.

i totally understand how you can view apple vs google is like apple vs ms in the 80's. but in today's apple vs google, today's ms (google) stuff at least works, very well.

another thing that worries me about apple is their increase in collaboration, for example with tom-tom maps, yelp., and now foursquare. for a company that likes to keep a lot of things in-house, they are doing a lot of collaboration. if you look at google's offerings, they did maps, a yelp alternative in house with their own data.

Last edited by kjs862; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
kjs862 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:59 PM   #14
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
is it me or has google really worked hard this year
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:00 PM   #15
irDigital0l

This is good.

Now I have even more reasons to try out Android.
irDigital0l is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:01 PM   #16
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

All you cheapos should pay for the music you acquire. Artists need to eat too you know.
iMikeT is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:02 PM   #17
jreed91
macrumors member

Once we get the ability to delete songs I thi k they'll be pretty even. Hopefully this forces apple to rethink their pricing.
jreed91 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:05 PM   #18
mikeheenan
macrumors 6502

When one uploads their songs to these services, do you remove them from your hard drive? Can you download your songs once they're uploaded (sometimes you may be out of data range and want a playlist to listen to)?
mikeheenan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:06 PM   #19
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
How can Google offer this for free?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 PM   #20
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

Careful, they might sue you.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 PM   #21
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
All you cheapos should pay for the music you acquire. Artists need to eat too you know.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 PM   #22
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

So how do Google and Amazon add these out of the blue when Apple had to negotiate with the record companies? Or do we just not hear about G and A?
OtherJesus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:10 PM   #23
jmcrutch
macrumors regular

So, Apple struck a negotiated deal with all the labels so that they would be compensated for the music uploaded, much of which has been pirated by some.

Now, Google is doing the same thing, without charging anyone for it. How are the artists getting paid for the cloud versions? Is Google just footing the bill? Maybe. Probably. All under the guise of sucking you further into their world where they make money off of who you are, what you do, what you write, what you search for, and what you think.

I'll stick with Apple, paying my fee, so that I'm the customer and not the product.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:12 PM   #24
kjs862
macrumors 65816

itunes match is the new mobile me ie paying for something that google does for free (and better)
kjs862 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:13 PM   #25
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I'm seriously considering moving to Android when Key Lime is released. They offer Apple like services a lot cheaper! Tired of paying premium when Google is offering their tablets, phones and maps for a lower cost.

I use Google music on my iPhone & iPad..... works great. The free gMusik app even supports Airplay.

I have all my music uploaded to the Google cloud and pay nothing. They have a music upload utility that uploads automatically everything I add to iTunes....
BigHonkingDeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion