Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Yes, Apple does not appear to be innovating as fast as everyone would like and the changes that are made seem incremental. The market has dropped its valuation of Apple. So what?

Is this a problem of no knowledge of history, no knowledge of how capital markets work, no knowledge of product development and life cycles?

Apple will go the way of IBM, AT&T, Microsoft, that is the nature of business. It is impossible to sustain a continual growth curve because markets get saturated and unless a company finds new markets, it eventually stagnates. So right now, we can't see where the technology market is going and what the killer app is going to be, so it is not unreasonable to believe that Apple has reached its peak.

TVs? There are no margins on the manufacture of consumer TVs, and while Apple may enter this market with a premium device, the life cycle is considerably longer and its ability to make a significantly profitable product seem slim, as least compared to what it achieved with iPhones and iPads.

What is the next techological advancement that isn't just an incremental improvement? Everything that we've seen in this area, and not just from Apple, is just a reimagining of existing products with improved technology, or has everyone forgot that the Sony Walkmen was the iPod of its day, and satellite phones the iPhones of their day? Everything is just an improvement on existing technology.

The share drop? In case you didn't know, the stock market is a speculative swamp, particularly when it relates to a company that until this year never had a dividend. A share drop just represents profit taking from shareholders who had never received a profit from their investment in the form of a dividend, so the share drop should have been expected.

As to products in the pipeline, see above, but my view is that the market has been saturated with devices and it will be increasingly difficult for Apple to offer true innovation and it will find itself chasing corporate clients and other revenue sources as consumers increasingly realize that the device they have does exactly what they need and they don't need a new one (iPod anyone?). Yes, Apple has its work cut out for it to maintain its unbelieveably high market capitalization, but I really don't think that the leadership at Apple believes that that market cap is their goal anyway, they just want to sell cool products. Given the changes that Tim Cook has instituted, I don't see that changing in the near future.

So, is the sky falling? Everyday. Fortunately, the Earth will be around for another few billion years, so I don't worry about what will happen to Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Must we go back into the bigger screen mantra that just makes NO SENSE whatsoever in defending Apple? You don't have to tear down good concepts in phone design to lift up Apple's.

Newsflash! Having a big phone is nice for some.

I'm talking about "innovation". I don't think a bigger screen is any more/less innovative than making something thinner and lighter. And the nice thing is if someone wants a phone with a bigger screen there are plenty of companies manufacturing them. :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm talking about "innovation". I don't think a bigger screen is any more/less innovative than making something thinner and lighter. And the nice thing is if someone wants a phone with a bigger screen there are plenty of companies manufacturing them. :)

Rogifan your commentary in this thread is lights out. I've agreed with every single word.

"innovative" is a nice fluffy word that any of us can hide behind or use as a weapon. It's a feeling more than anything.

To me a Revolutionary product or moment fractures the senses to the point where it takes time to process. Colorful computers don't really count but the fact that Apple made typing on glass (iPhone 2007) something less than a nightmare was Revolutionary to me.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Rogifan your commentary in this thread is lights out. I've agreed with every single word.

"innovative" is a nice fluffy word that any of us can hide behind or use as a weapon. It's a feeling more than anything.

To me a Revolutionary product or moment fractures the senses to the point where it takes time to process. Colorful computers don't really count but the fact that Apple made typing on glass (iPhone 2007) something less than a nightmare was Revolutionary to me.

I suspect the LeapMotion device will be that next revolutionary moment.

cat3600

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
How about changing the icons which have remained the same since iOS launch in 2007. Changed everything to Windows 8 and realized how boring Apple has become. I am a six years Mac user and have had every gadget Apple has produced for last 6 years.

Love my Dell XPS 27 Touch, My Surface and Nokia 920. The Nokia 920 is miles ahead of the iPhone 5 which has just been put up in kijiji for sale. Sold my iPad 2 and my surface kills that toy pad.

Please dont tell me about the lack of apps as most people use 20 to 30 max and most of the important ones are there or coming soon. I have not used windows in 6 years but once i tried Win 8, this touch concept is the future & good job by them. You need a good ergonomic machine to enjoy touch on the desktop, the machine need to fold or articulate which the dell does.

Apple = Snooooozzzzzeee!!!

You know this whole Apple isn't innovating meme is getting pretty tiresome. What exactly is "small, incremental" in your world? And how does one define innovation anyway? To me making a phone with a bigger screen isn't any more innovation than making a phone that's incredibly thin and light but still contains amazing technology. But to some people bigger screen is all that matters.

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
It's fascinating that some feel that building PC's with colourful plastic is more innovative than replacing those same PC's with an entirely new product category.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How about changing the icons which have remained the same since iOS launch in 2007. Changed everything to Windows 8 and realized how boring Apple has become. I am a six years Mac user and have had every gadget Apple has produced for last 6 years.

Love my Dell XPS 27 Touch, My Surface and Nokia 920. The Nokia 920 is miles ahead of the iPhone 5 which has just been put up in kijiji for sale. Sold my iPad 2 and my surface kills that toy pad.

Please dont tell me about the lack of apps as most people use 20 to 30 max and most of the important ones are there or coming soon. I have not used windows in 6 years but once i tried Win 8, this touch concept is the future & good job by them. You need a good ergonomic machine to enjoy touch on the desktop, the machine need to fold or articulate which the dell does.

Apple = Snooooozzzzzeee!!!
OK the minute you referred to the iPad as a "toy" and said your Surface kills it I stopped reading. HoW is the Lumia miles ahead of iPhone? Because it comes in colored polycarbonate (aka plastic)? Because you can set it on a mat (which has to be plugged in) to charge it? Big friggin' deal. We've had colored phone long before the Lumia. Heck Apple has been doing colored iPods for years now. Wireless charging? What's so great about that when the charging mat has to be plugged in? I'd much rather carry with me a lightning connector and wall adaptor than a charging mat. And if its screen size I ask again, what makes a bigger screen any mor innovative than packing all this technology into much thinner and lighter devices? Making things bigger is much easier than making them smaller an lighter (and still getting the same battery life as the bigger devices).

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Might be a rough road ... But it's also a road into reality.

Wisdom #1:
All bubbles tend to burst sooner or later

Wisdom #2:
I think it is common sense that a market leader has alwas difficulties to keep its position (given its not a monopol). IBM, Microsoft, Nokia, Toyota, AT&T ... you name it ...

Wisdom #3:
Competition is good; and keeps the market leader "running"

I will still stay happily with Apple products as long they fit my needs or wishes. But I also will have a look on the Surface Pro once it hit the shelfs. And I don't worry that Apple will run under Chapter 11 anytime soon.

Side note: Santa just increased Apples sales and gave me an iPod touch 5

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
This is why public opinion is often a joke and cannot be taken seriously.
The general public is very fickle, and this forum reflects most of it. For this reason I don't click on half the threads unless I want to be entertained.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
apple stock is testing $500. It went down to $497 a few weeks ago only to bounce back up. damn government officials, i hope they can come to a compromise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.