Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
I'm trying to sell it for $450. It's a 32 GB white iPad 3rd generation with Verizon. A refurb model sells for $599. I honestly want the mini. It's the perfect size. I've been wanted a smaller tablet and after using my mom's, I've confirmed this decision. It works for me.

I haven't got an offer over $300 for it. Craigslist has always worked for me. I know it's been a while since the release or the mini, but it's also Xmas time. I'm shocked at how long the ad has been up and now little responses I've received. Anybody else having the same problem?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm trying to sell it for $450. It's a 32 GB white iPad 3rd generation with Verizon. A refurb model sells for $599. I honestly want the mini. It's the perfect size. I've been wanted a smaller tablet and after using my mom's, I've confirmed this decision. It works for me.

I haven't got an offer over $300 for it. Craigslist has always worked for me. I know it's been a while since the release or the mini, but it's also Xmas time. I'm shocked at how long the ad has been up and now little responses I've received. Anybody else having the same problem?

Keep trying. Assuming your iPad 3 is in pretty good shape, you should have no problem at all selling a wi-fi+cellular iPad 3 32GB for $450. Keep trying craigslist, meet up, find people in person, or try Amazon.

I would avoid eBay, although if you're the seller, you should be fine.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Craigslist is full of scammers and low-ballers.

I would list an item for $500 firm, but I would get callers asking if I would sell it for $250 or $300. This is a $700 item brand new.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Sell it for 300 put 150 bucks with it and you have a mini

----------

I sold my 3 for almost the same price i bought it for.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
i wouldve gotten the ipad mini if it had retina on it..but ill wait and trade it in when it comes out

clyde2801

macrumors 601
With 4 models of the 9.7" iPad out, and the mini flying off the shelves, the market may have just reached the saturation point, especially for older models.

Think I'm sticking with the 3 unless:

a) it breaks out of warranty;
b) it no longer needs what I need it to do; or
c) a new model has a new feature that literally blows my socks off.

Think of an iPad as a computing appliance. You don't replace an appliance because a new model comes out, you only do so unless it quits working.

My iP3 didn't magically turn into a $830 turd just because the 4 was released early.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Craigslist is full of scammers and low-ballers.

I would list an item for $500 firm, but I would get callers asking if I would sell it for $250 or $300. This is a $700 item brand new.

agreed. i was selling a sealed iPad 3 16GB refurb for $400

the lowest offer was $180, the highest was $250

these people are out of touch.

meanwhile, i have sold 8 of them so far on eBay for $469

Last edited:

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
It took awhile for me to sell my 32GB Black LTE.

I ended up trading it for a mint iPad 2 Wi-Fi, 16GB plus $140.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
You guys are trying to sell these at like new prices...no wonder they are not selling...nobody wants to buy last generation hardware at current generation prices. people are on Craigslist looking for a deal, not to get ripped off

oomega1

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Yeah harder to sell verizon cause people who use it are on share everything plan etc. And I find that richer people use verizon don't often sell or want to buy used items.

ATT users usually say verizon costs more. So they never choose it regardless its the same price. It has that I am more reliable better = probably more costly thing going for them. =/

I'm also debating. I like verizon but I also like the option of selling my stuff. But the value of resale not so good on the verizon.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
You guys are trying to sell these at like new prices...no wonder they are not selling...nobody wants to buy last generation hardware at current generation prices. people are on Craigslist looking for a deal, not to get ripped off

I agree.

I also agree about the over saturation of iPads on the market. You've got FOUR generations of the iPad. 3rd and 4th gens released in the same year! You've got folks still using iPad 1st gen, too! And now the iPad mini, and they're selling like hot cakes!

Unless the iPad 3 is in *MINT* condition, lower the price a little.

mrstefani

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Macomb, Michigan
Last week I was looking on Craig's List for an iPad 3 and found the prices to be higher than I was looking to spend. Just looking for a fair price for a used iPad 3, not looking to be ripped off or lowball anyone. The prices were the same as the iPad 4. Ended up ordering from Best Buy online. Purchased an iPad 3 64 gb for $549. Ordered and picked up from my local store within an hour. Then received a $25 coupon a few days later because I had placed an order online.

I spent more than I was originally looking to spend on a 32 gb but ended up with a brand new 64gb for not much more than I was seeing on Craig's List for the 32's.

Craig's List has been flooded with "dealers" and spam in my area, with some sellers actually being bidding sites.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Last week I was looking on Craig's List for an iPad 3 and found the prices to be higher than I was looking to spend. Just looking for a fair price for a used iPad 3, not looking to be ripped off or lowball anyone. The prices were the same as the iPad 4. Ended up ordering from Best Buy online. Purchased an iPad 3 64 gb for $549. Ordered and picked up from my local store within an hour. Then received a $25 coupon a few days later because I had placed an order online.

I spent more than I was originally looking to spend on a 32 gb but ended up with a brand new 64gb for not much more than I was seeing on Craig's List for the 32's.

Craig's List has been flooded with "dealers" and spam in my area, with some sellers actually being bidding sites.

There's just too many people trying to unload their 3's, period. And there's so many iPads of varying configurations, that the days of trying to find an unsophisticated consumer to pay top dollar for a used last generation product are gone. CL still has its uses, but it's become more of a garage sale with lowballers taking the place of MadTV's Doreen character approaching you at the end of the morning and debating on whether she should offer you a nickel for an item. The main difference being that garage sales don't subject you out of country spammers and con artists.

I'm still loving my iP3, my wife's still content with the iP2. Love the one you're with, use it for as long as it continues to work for you.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Funny I've noticed this too, I will be buying my wife an ipad next month and looking at CL most are asking the same or very close to retail or apple referb prices on last years model. These folks have no clue, its silly. So what this means is that I will either get her a ipad4 or a referbed 3 from apple and be done with it.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Think of an iPad as a computing appliance. You don't replace an appliance because a new model comes out, you only do so unless it quits working.

Apple hardware doesn't fit this description. It holds so much resale value, that for a trivial amount, you can upgrade.

The problem here is compounded by several factors:
- it is the cellular model, greatly limiting the number of buyers
- the mini is available
- the depreciation of the older model is abnormally high due to the quick release of a superior model

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

I sold one of my 32GB iPads VZW for $550 just a few weeks ago. Took all of 2 days. I'm in the same city as you. Which one is your ad?

burritolove

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
sold a 16g ipad 2 wifi on craigslist about a month ago for $325, it was mint with a speck HD case, and Original box. keep trying and dont forget to bumb your craigslist thread every few days

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I tried the 3 and returned it to Best Buy within the time limit and did without :)

I had high confidence in the appearance of a Mini and lo and behold 5 wks later it was announced :D

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm trying to sell it for $450. It's a 32 GB white iPad 3rd generation with Verizon. A refurb model sells for $599.

I can get a 32GB cellular refurb model for $499 because of the $100 deal AT&T and Sprint are offering. And I'm assured of a full warranty where I can easily return it. Unless someone NEEDS Verizon.

$50 is not much of a deal to possibly get an iPad with something wrong with it, less of a warranty, and not shrink wrapped to look new.

$350 is probably a good selling price on CraigsList right now.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Apple hardware doesn't fit this description. It holds so much resale value, that for a trivial amount, you can upgrade.

The problem here is compounded by several factors:
- it is the cellular model, greatly limiting the number of buyers
- the mini is available
- the depreciation of the older model is abnormally high due to the quick release of a superior model

I think the whole apple resale value equation is not what it used to be. When apple upgraded it's powerbook from a 1.25 to a 1.33 ghz g4 chip, you could get a premium for your year old machine. More stores are selling macs of all sorts, more people are buying them, and more used machines are now for sale than ever before.

Then again, admittedly, I have no idea what windows boxes resale for. I can't imagine a two year old machine would bring very much if it sold for $599 originally.

The early release of the 4 didn't help, but there's a weak economy and a glut of new and used iPads out there. And people on CL are looking for the biggest bargains and the cheapest prices. You can minimize the resale loss by buying the cheapest base model, but higher end models are taking a beating.

Love the one you're with. It's cheaper in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.