Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:37 AM   #1
teaman
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini config for HDTV and EyeTV

I use Elgato's EyeTV to record and playback broadcast TV shows/movies using a Mac Mini dual core 1.83Ghz and 2Gb of 667Mhz RAM. It's mostly done quite well. However I am noticing more and more that some (but not all, making it rather puzzling) HD content I record plays back with the video out of sync with the audio. If I reduce the window size to half of full screen it usually works fine. There are some HD content I've recorded that plays back fine. So I am mystified if it's the processor not keeping up why does it sometimes work.

Now to my question. I'd like to upgrade to a newer Mac Mini. I was considering the new 2012 models but have read that they have some "integrated" graphics capability and that it suffers with not doing fast frame rates with video. I don't know what that would mean in my situation. My intuition says a 5-6 yr newer model will be faster than what I have but would it be fast enough? Would increasing memory or getting an SSD be the cure? Should I get a used Mac Mini 2011 model? or a 2010 model? the 2011 model has a better graphic card as I understand.

I have looked and looked and can't find a definitive answer for HDTV and Elgato's EyeTV. A 1 hr recording can be from 5-9GB file using it.

I'm wondering if the times it works ok is actually 720p and not working ok for 1080p? How would I know?

I saw one article where they max'd out a Mac Mini 2012 with fusion drive, max ram, top CPU model and got pretty impressive results but it's like $1100 price tag. Seems steep for my needs.

Please steer me to articles or provide answers based on preferably your experience or if you have solid theory.
teaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater