Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
In the Arab world, stealing gets your hands cut off.

In this case Samsung just lost a lot of business.

Samsung has not lost anything. Right at this moment Apple CPUs are manufactured by Samsung in Texas. And the way Samsung is gaining market share in smart phones (which is now 50% higher than that of Apple) they will need this Texas FAB for their own chips. Apple's share in smart phones in 2012 was reported at 20%. They are not really that big of a player.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Samsung has not lost anything. Right at this moment Apple CPUs are manufactured by Samsung in Texas. And the way Samsung is gaining market share in smart phones (which is now 50% higher than that of Apple) they will need this Texas FAB for their own chips. Apple's share in smart phones in 2012 was reported at 20%. They are not really that big of a player.

Sure, that's why Apple is rumored to back this FAB, so that the company will be a bigger player in volume, not just revenue, where curiously, Apple seems to have 80% of the profits in mobile devices.

Kudos to Samsung for $8-12 B in marketing and promotional expense to get that market share.

Now, let's see them defend it.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

Nice rationalisation. Too bad it's not the case.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Replacement of Samsung would be wise.

There is no good reason to do buiness with a company that steals from you.

If this is true, I wouldn't mind seeing some production diverted from Samsung. Though I doubt it'll have the capacity to replace Samsung, nor is that the intention.

I have to believe that would be the intention. It is really a question of ethics. As to one plant doing it all, who knows. The reality is it is bad business to have too much reliance on a single plant. So I'd rather see Apple split production across plants and vendors.

As for Samsung people seem to have this perception that they have some magical capability to produce chips. This really isn't the case and frankly Samsung has suffered from the same issue the rest of the industry has.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Seriously, there is no need to have another fab on the planet earth. Semiconductor manufacturing is not a clean business.
That is just totally ignorant. Business supports the growth in the human population on this planet. As for being clean or not so clean semiconductor manufacturing isn't that bad when it comes right down to it.
If there is not enough fab capacity, raise the price for consumers. It is law of supply and demand.
Are we suffering from some sort of complex wrapped around excessive self importance? You seemingly desire to make electronics in affordable to many of your countrymen.
Modern electronic industry belongs to entertainment sector. It's all about watching the same Hollywood movies (TV shows) wherever or whenever people want to. It requires a lot of PhD to make this entertainment happens. I wish Apple, IBM, Intel and etc, switch gear to, let's say... medical, energy, transportation sectors. It's better for mankind.

Actually it isn't better. Many of those industries you mentioned would still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for electronics. The medical industry for one wouldn't exist in its current form without electronics. Beyond that there is nothing to say that Apple would ever be successful in energy, transportation or any other industry. Apple is successful because the talent they have is focused on a common goal or interest.

Frankly after reading your series of posts I'm left with the impression you are of weak mind and easily manipulated. Think about that a bit. You pass more pollution every time you sit on the can then most semiconductor plants that are well operated.

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City
Oregon's single-sales factor business tax will weigh in its favor. It is a state law that says that if a product is manufactured in Oregon and sold outside of Oregon, the manufacturer is not liable for state income tax on the sale.
Nice To Know.

Note: Man You Got Me In Your Favorite Webside Good One :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If this is true, I wouldn't mind seeing some production diverted from Samsung. Though I doubt it'll have the capacity to replace Samsung, nor is that the intention.

We are talking about TSMC here. They have no problem building capacity to replace Samsung twice. Their problem would be that this is a huge investment, and they would want guarantees from Apple to make sure the investment pays. On the other hand, Apple has the cash to make those guarantees.

----------

And cutting ties with Samsung isn't just sour grapes. By ordering specific components from Samsung, Apple is tipping off Samsung with future iDevice specs (and possible new products).

That is always claimed, but I wouldn't think so. So Apple builds a new, faster ARM processor - well, who would have thought that? Of course they do. Samsung knows Apple will do that, whether Apple places an order with Samsung or keeps the thing top secret, because it is just common sense they will. Apple is looking for better batteries - well, who would have thought that?

Most things are just ordinary improvements that you would expect Apple to make anyway. Designs are legally protected, some technology is protected by patents, and both don't take long to copy - it's just risky because you can and will get sued for it. If Samsung wanted to make a phone that looks exactly like iPhone 5, buying a dozen on the first day it's released would give them enough time.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
If Apple uses chips based on TSMC's 20-nanometer process, it would have two benefits for practically all consumers:
1) Power consumption would be reduced, thus resulting in longer battery life.
2) Clock-for-clock speed increase over the current A6X chips, thus resulting in Safari being snappier. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Kudos to Samsung for $8-12 B in marketing and promotional expense to get that market share.

Bingo. I've never seen so many S3 and Note commercials on TV. Go to the mall ans all the posters and ads on the mall directories are of the Galaxy S3 or Note.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Sure, that's why Apple is rumored to back this FAB, so that the company will be a bigger player in volume, not just revenue, where curiously, Apple seems to have 80% of the profits in mobile devices.

First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

375906410380.png

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Hey Apple...

there is a TON of unused clean-room space ready and waiting for you at the IBM East Fishkill, NY complex!!! With experienced workers ready for employment!!!

...and the tax concessions were already given, not that IBM did what they promised.

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
If Apple uses chips based on TSMC's 20-nanometer process, it would have two benefits for practically all consumers:
1) Power consumption would be reduced, thus resulting in longer battery life.
2) Clock-for-clock speed increase over the current A6X chips, thus resulting in Safari being snappier. :)

Can someone give me a link or background to this safari being snappier joke? I have seen this several times but missed where it came from. Thanks :)

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011

It not curiously, it's on purpose. Let the mega-corps fight over low profit margins on Android.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
We are talking about TSMC here. They have no problem building capacity to replace Samsung twice. Their problem would be that this is a huge investment, and they would want guarantees from Apple to make sure the investment pays. On the other hand, Apple has the cash to make those guarantees.

----------

That is always claimed, but I wouldn't think so. So Apple builds a new, faster ARM processor - well, who would have thought that? Of course they do. Samsung knows Apple will do that, whether Apple places an order with Samsung or keeps the thing top secret, because it is just common sense they will. Apple is looking for better batteries - well, who would have thought that?

Most things are just ordinary improvements that you would expect Apple to make anyway. Designs are legally protected, some technology is protected by patents, and both don't take long to copy - it's just risky because you can and will get sued for it. If Samsung wanted to make a phone that looks exactly like iPhone 5, buying a dozen on the first day it's released would give them enough time.

The idea that being sued prevents somebody from copying/doing something is a pipe dream.

It takes years for a suit to be finished and usually people settle as the costs become outrageous and the copier wins. Samsung is actually the perfect example of copying and then paying for the lawsuits as cost of doing business.

Must be enough profit in copying to pay for this.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

The chart goes up to 12,000 million.

That's 12 billion.

Yes... Samsung spends nearly 12 billion on marketing.

FORTUNE -- One of the reasons Samsung's Galaxy smartphones and tablets seem to be everywhere these days may be that the company is spending a fortune -- nearly $12 billion a year, according to Asymco's Horace Dediu -- on advertising, commissions and sales promotions.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Can someone give me a link or background to this safari being snappier joke? I have seen this several times but missed where it came from. Thanks :)

I don't know when it started being associated with Safari, but back in the very early days of Mac OS X, every time a point release would come out (eg 10.0.3) people would install it and say it feels "snappier" -even though there really weren't any performance improvements being implemented by Apple at that point. In a lot of cases the Macs got slightly faster at launching apps because of the optimization routines that are run when software is installed, or they just got a temporary speed boost from actually being rebooted due to the install (since for the first time the majority of Mac users could go "forever" without rebooting compared to classic Mac OS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.