Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:36 AM   #1
mattg3
macrumors 6502

Final questions before i update to itunes 11 or not.

Been reading through these itunes 11 posts and Im a bit confused so Im listing the concerns I have before i update
1 Can you turn on random and will it play different songs from different cds or just play random from one cd?
2 My 222 cds I put into itunes all have album covers I found that I liked(some different from usual) and some cds i deleted songs.I also combined a few cd boxed sets into big single cds to save space.Would all of my changes move right into itunes 11 with update or could i end up with a mess?
3 Will all my created playlists I made(favorite songs took month to set up) move into itunes with no problem or could i loose them?
4 My songs all copied at 320 so will this bit rate stay or could it get changed around by my update?
5 Anything I need to change in setting or preferences before i make the update to allow all my concerns above to not mess up my itunes as i have set it up?

Thanks for your help.Dont want to regret making the update.
mattg3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:22 AM   #2
jamietshaw
macrumors member

I haven't upgraded yet, but I plan to test out iTunes 11 by cloning my system to an external hard drive with SuperDuper (which I do anyway, for backup purposes), then booting up from the external drive and installing iTunes 11. This won't touch the internal hard disk (you can even unmount it from Disk Utility for extra safety). Maybe you could try something similar?
jamietshaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:25 AM   #3
jamesjingyi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to jamesjingyi
Quote:
Been reading through these itunes 11 posts and Im a bit confused so Im listing the concerns I have before i update
1 Can you turn on random and will it play different songs from different cds or just play random from one cd?
2 My 222 cds I put into itunes all have album covers I found that I liked(some different from usual) and some cds i deleted songs.I also combined a few cd boxed sets into big single cds to save space.Would all of my changes move right into itunes 11 with update or could i end up with a mess?
3 Will all my created playlists I made(favorite songs took month to set up) move into itunes with no problem or could i loose them?
4 My songs all copied at 320 so will this bit rate stay or could it get changed around by my update?
5 Anything I need to change in setting or preferences before i make the update to allow all my concerns above to not mess up my itunes as i have set it up?

Thanks for your help.Dont want to regret making the update.
1. Yes
2. They will be fine
3. See 2
4. See 2 and 3
5. Nope

Its a good update, especially with the new update to fix bugs.... It looks so pretty
jamesjingyi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:30 AM   #4
sagar4995
macrumors 6502a

confession: didn't read the above 3 posts.
advice: do it. its a good upgrade.
Instagram ID - SagarChablani
sagar4995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 AM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

The good news:

Upgrading iTunes NEVER affects your songs' encoding. If they're encoded in MP3 320 kbps Normal Stereo, they'll stay that way. Existing album art won't be affected either. Songs that iTunes did not have artwork for and now do will be subject to artwork changes, if you allow iTunes to do this.

The bad news:

iTunes 11, even in its 11.0.1 incarnation, still has some baffling bugs.
  • The shuffle and repeat commands issued via AppleScripts do not work at all in iTunes 11
  • It is not at all obvious how to selectively enable the "iCloud Download" column in list views: It is either off for everything or on for everything.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:36 AM   #6
mattg3
macrumors 6502

Guess its time to strap on my seatbelt and upgrade.Thanks for great replies
mattg3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Corrosive vinyl
macrumors 6502

iTunes 11 was worth not upgrading to the skeptics.
With the new update, especially finding duplicates being re-integrated,
it's worth it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store