Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Foxconn Reportedly Testing Designs for 46-55 Inch Apple Television Sets

Taiwan's Central News Agency reports (via Patently Apple) that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai Precision, is currently working with Apple to test several designs for an Apple television set in the range of 46-55 inches.
Quote:
Hon Hai, the world's largest contract electronics maker, has declined to respond to the reports, saying that it never comments on specific business deals with any single client.

However, the Hon Hai source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the initial phase of tests on the TVs has kicked off.

Nevertheless, the source said it is unlikely that shipments of the appliances will begin as soon as the end of next year.
The source claims that Apple may be looking to show off its new television products at CES next month in Las Vegas, but that seems difficult to believe given Apple's penchant for avoiding trade shows and for holding its own media events to introduce its products as close as possible to launch. With the report apparently claiming that Apple's television sets are unlikely to launch in 2013 and other recent claims that Apple's television projects are being slowed by difficult content negotiations, there would be little chance of Apple showing off anything at CES.

The report notes that using displays in the claimed range of 46-55 inches gives Apple flexibility in deciding on one or more vendors to supply LCD panels for the television sets. Foxconn has worked closely with Sharp and has made an investment in a Sharp LCD factory, but the report's source indicates that it is unlikely that Sharp panels will be used in the Apple television set.

Article Link: Foxconn Reportedly Testing Designs for 46-55 Inch Apple Television Sets
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:55 AM   #2
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Maybe Cook will bring Apple back to trade shows
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Tigger92
macrumors member

I find it interesting that they are discussing 46" and higher....even larger than I would have expected. Could be very interesting for the market...but I seriously doubt that there would be anything at CES this year.
Tigger92 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Why would I replace my TV?
rei101 is offline   37 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing this well set the benchmark price of $2,000
pnoyblazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Elbon
macrumors 6502

I love Apple products, but I don't see myself ever buying an Apple-branded TV. I'll stick with my Sony/Samsung with an external box (i.e. Apple TV).
Elbon is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:03 AM   #7
mklaman
macrumors member

apple tv would be a game changer! would buy one in an instant, especially since i'm holding out on purchasing a new tv and sticking with ym old 37" for now!

really thought one would be out for next year's holidays, but apparently not.
mklaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:04 AM   #8
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Hopefully lots of leaked photos headed our way soon.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:05 AM   #9
mklaman
macrumors member

i would bet a 55" apple tv would run about $4900.

and i'll still buy it. (damn you apple!)
mklaman is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 AM   #10
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

I'm no insider/analyst, but they will NOT be at CES. Not Apple's style. Too early.

Everyone is so quick to say you won't buy an Apple TV, but wait until they reveal it. Guarantee everyone's story will change. TV Set w/ set top box built it or solely a standalone set top box.
newyorksole is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 AM   #11
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

At the end of every single year, we see a rumor that the TV is 2 years out... I guess they'll be right eventually.
TimUSCA is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Kilamite
macrumors G3

It'd have to justify itself for me to buy it. I'm happy with my current TV and Apple TV, but 99% of the TV I watch is on demand.

If they get the content right, sleek interface with Siri, along with integration into my Sky package somehow, I might just buy it.
Kilamite is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:09 AM   #13
wkadamsjr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Why would you replace your phone with an iPhone in 2007? If Apple can't make something better, theoretically they wouldn't get involved.
wkadamsjr is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Foxer
macrumors 65816

I'll be happy if they top out at 55 inch. That way I won't be interested in getting one and can save some coin. I'm worried they'll hit 60 and get into my range.

It's really touches on why I never thought they'd gt into the TV market. Too many people have too wide a range on needs. Pulse, even only a few 55 inch sets in the back will tax their storage in store. Maybe they'll be on display at the stores, but online only, at least for the big ones.

I only hope they don't do anything an Apple TV does.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:11 AM   #15
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's sure to be thinner which will make it easier to carry from its storage case in the closet to the TV stand every time you want to watch "Breaking Bad".
HarryKeogh is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:13 AM   #16
zone23
macrumors 6502a

What a great marketing idea... so Apple releases the 55" with the A5 processor regular screen, then 3 months later releases it with a A6 processor with Retina Display making everyone TV obsolete..

I would love to see a Apple TV with Retina display..
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:13 AM   #17
grassfeeder
macrumors regular

I'd need something at least 58" in size. I can't see downsizing.
grassfeeder is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Apple showing off a TV set at CES? Haha.....haven't laughed this hard in a while....
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:15 AM   #19
lzyprson
macrumors regular

Some news is better than NO news... Although i really wish that they could release an Apple TV ASAP!!!

Also, just because an actual television is 1+year(s) away, doesn't mean that Apple couldn't introduce an entertainment package brought to the masses via the apple tv set top box!!

I give this update a 4-Apple's rating.

lzyprson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:15 AM   #20
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

(Note: Just imagining; this isn't a projection.)

Imagine a 4k TV for the price of a high-end "Full" HDTV...
ScholarsInk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:18 AM   #21
Delegator
macrumors member

As others have said, Apple doesn't do CES. Why get lost in the noise of that crowd when you can get global news coverage for a standalone event?

I'm most interested in two aspects of the purported Apple television:
  1. What does it bring to the table beyond what a run-of-the-mill TV will give?
  2. How will Apple achieve their usual margins without pricing themselves out of the market?

It's too obvious to say that it could be a TV with integrated Apple TV functionality, because there is no way to add the functionality of a $99 set top box to a normal TV and get decent margins. It has to be more than that. I'm leaving it to the brains in Sunnyvale to come up with something that we didn't know we needed in a television.

The other question, of course, is the name of the device. The name iTV is already taken, and Apple TV is already in use for a different product. How about the Holodeck?
Delegator is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:19 AM   #22
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

I'm betting that an Apple TV will have a front facing camera on it.

A telepresence feature would need a sensor (camera) to detect when someone is in the room in order to perform some programmed action such as turn the TV on from standby mode, increase or decrease volume, etc.

And as has been Apple's recent practice, this camera would NOT have any sort of warning light to let you know that it was on.

iMacs have a green warning light telling you when the camera is on and active. But none of the iPods, iPads, iPhones have any such warning light.

Why is that???

And there is no hardware control to turn off the camera either. Creepy.

Check out this link:

Smart TVs can spy on their owners

http://rt.com/usa/news/smart-tv-security-access-092/
Jetson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:20 AM   #23
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
nobody said you HAVE to replace your TV.
Benjamins is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Whatever it ends up being, it's going to be overpriced and probably no better than a Samsung or Sony for much less money. No thanks
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #25
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
I'm betting that an Apple TV will have a front facing camera on it.

A telepresence feature would need a sensor (camera) to detect when someone is in the room in order to perform some programmed action such as turn the TV on from standby mode, increase or decrease volume, etc.

And as has been Apple's recent practice, this camera would NOT have any sort of warning light to let you know that it was on.

iMacs have a green warning light telling you when the camera is on and active. But none of the iPods, iPads, iPhones have any such warning light.

Why is that???

And there is no hardware control to turn off the camera either. Creepy.

Think I'm being paranoid? Check out this link:

Smart TVs can spy on their owners

http://rt.com/usa/news/smart-tv-security-access-092/
unless you jailbroken your iphone/ipad/ipod the camera is off the second you closed the app that uses the camera.
Benjamins is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion