Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a

will apple make a mini and mini retina?

Currently apple is selling the ipad 2, the mini and the ipad 4. Next year I see apple dropping the ipad2 and introducing a retina mini at $429. Then the line up will be the mini ($329), the mini retina ($429) and the ipad5 ($499). This will allow apple to leverage additional profits off the extremely popular mini form factor while maintaining an entry level product.
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

I would actually hope that the mini retina would just replace the base $329 model, and that the non-retina mini would be sold for $229-49 like the retina iPad and iPad 2.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:57 AM   #3
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

No

The iPad 2 will go away early next year.

The second revision of the iPad mini will be Retina. And thus spawns the new era of Retina EVERYTHING.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:40 PM   #4
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
And thus spawns the new era of Retina EVERYTHING.
Even the ACD?
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Even the ACD?
Perhaps if we get a faster Display Port spec (1.2) in the next revision of Thunderbolt.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:45 AM   #6
lapeno
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No

The second revision of the iPad mini will be Retina. And thus spawns the new era of Retina EVERYTHING.
This
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:55 AM   #7
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No

Why would Ipad 2 be gone early next year? To make way for retina Ipad mini and drop ipad mini price to 299?

I dont know about apple but people will be dead furious if their ipad mini is outdated after only 6 months!
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:23 AM   #8
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Why would Ipad 2 be gone early next year? To make way for retina Ipad mini and drop ipad mini price to 299?

I dont know about apple but people will be dead furious if their ipad mini is outdated after only 6 months!
Six months is an eternity in tech-land.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:28 AM   #9
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No

This.

MBA and iPad mini are stop-gap products.

They'll both be discontinued when retina is cheap enough to go into replacements (retina ipad mini and rMBP replacing the airs).
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Menel
macrumors 601

Retina is not guaranteed.

2010. iPad 1... iPhone 4 with Retina
2011. iPad 2... absent of Retina.
2012. iPad Retina

I have a hard time grasping how Apple can pull off both the cost, and battery life with a Retina display and the beefed up back lighting and GPU power to support it in the Mini's form factor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post

Outdated? It does everything it was advertised to do when they bought it, maybe more after iOS updates.

iPad 2's from almost 3yrs ago now still run all the apps, games and get all the updates.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:39 AM   #11
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
I have a hard time grasping how Apple can pull off both the cost, and battery life with a Retina display and the beefed up back lighting and GPU power to support it in the Mini's form factor.[COLOR="#808080"]
They went from non-retina to retina in the iphone 3g-s -> 4 with no real impact to battery life or cost.

They went from non-retina to retina in the MBP 15, in a smaller form factor with no real impact to battery life.

With a process drop down to the next smaller scale, the GPU power will be enough to drive retina at the same or similar power level. In terms of the screen, i'm guessing most of the power draw will actually be the backlight which is the same between retina and not.

It's just a matter of time - depends how quickly production of retina screens ramps up.

Being a smaller screen with less pixels, a retina iPad mini screen should be cheaper and easier to produce than a full size iPad's or a rMBP's.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:55 AM   #12
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
They went from non-retina to retina in the iphone 3g-s -> 4 with no real impact to battery life or cost.

They went from non-retina to retina in the MBP 15, in a smaller form factor with no real impact to battery life.

With a process drop down to the next smaller scale, the GPU power will be enough to drive retina at the same or similar power level. In terms of the screen, i'm guessing most of the power draw will actually be the backlight which is the same between retina and not.

It's just a matter of time - depends how quickly production of retina screens ramps up.

Being a smaller screen with less pixels, a retina iPad mini screen should be cheaper and easier to produce than a full size iPad's or a rMBP's.
I was talking cost of components to meet their target iPad Mini pricepoint they have now. I wouldnt count on another process drop by spring or summer.

IPad Mini does NOT have fewer pixels than full size iPad. Exactly the same, nonretina to nonretina, and will for retina to retina. The pixels are just smaller.

The manufacturering and quality control for the tiny pixels likely has cost associated with it.

Backlight is NOT the same between nonretina and retina, smaller pixels as previously noted, means reduced translucence, more brightness is required from the backlight formthe same end user experience.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:26 AM   #13
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
I have a hard time grasping how Apple can pull off both the cost, and battery life with a Retina display and the beefed up back lighting and GPU power to support it in the Mini's form factor.[COLOR="#808080"]
Even if they can pull it off, maintain thin and light with adequate battery and processor, the real question remains...should they do it?

A 329 retina Mini would really destroy their bigger ipad line and the bigger profit margins. The Mini would be more expensive to make than the regular ipad.

Assuming "retina" means double the resolution, the Mini would have a denser better quality screen than the bigger more expensive ipads. To go with another resolution means losing all the "ipad apps just work on it" marketing.

So 329 for an ipad retina Mini that boasts a better screen than a 499 ipad? Retina, thin and light, almost 200 cheaper, have cake, eat it too. That isn't happening IMO.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:32 AM   #14
clyde2801
macrumors 601

I see the iP3 taking the place of the 2 as the $399 model once the 5's come out.

I also see the mini getting IGZO retina display, but don't know if that will happen in 2013 or the year after that.

Then again, opinions are like [censored]s....
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:42 AM   #15
nick9191
macrumors 68040

I could see them introducing the iPad Mini with retina at the same price point but continuing to sell the original iPad Mini at £169/$229 to sway some of the android buyers. I know their MO is profit not market share, but I think keeping their hold on the tablet market will prove to be beneficial for them.
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:41 AM   #16
JamesMyCQs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
No

Yup. Apple's iPad product line is about as fragmented as they'd want it to be right now! In the future I really think they'll drop the iPad 2 (currently occupying the 'Non Retina Full Sized iPad' category) and just go with the iPad Mini and Full Sized iPad.

Whether or not the next iPad Mini will have a retina display is debatable, I'm sure it will be a priority for them, but whether they can get the displays in that time and at a price buyers will accept is another thing.
JamesMyCQs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:46 AM   #17
maflynn

I can't see adding a retina device and keeping the non retina mini, it will be too complicated to have that many devices. Plus if the retina mini is not horrendously more expensive then the non retina mini then it will steal all the sales from the non retina mini - another reason to kill off the non retina mini if they do introduce it
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:34 AM   #18
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
Even if they can pull it off, maintain thin and light with adequate battery and processor, the real question remains...should they do it?

A 329 retina Mini would really destroy their bigger ipad line and the bigger profit margins. The Mini would be more expensive to make than the regular ipad.

Assuming "retina" means double the resolution, the Mini would have a denser better quality screen than the bigger more expensive ipads. To go with another resolution means losing all the "ipad apps just work on it" marketing.

So 329 for an ipad retina Mini that boasts a better screen than a 499 ipad? Retina, thin and light, almost 200 cheaper, have cake, eat it too. That isn't happening IMO.
1. Apple has not been afraid in recent times to cannibalize it's product lines with new ones.

Some people, especially older people, may appreciate a larger screen, with larger text.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:41 AM   #19
maflynn

Quote:
1. Apple has not been afraid in recent times to cannibalize it's product lines with new ones.
I don't agree with that, I think they've introduced models that compliment and thus increase sales. I'm thinking of the retina MBP vs. the classic MBP. Sure some actual cMBPs went with the rMBP but plenty more (in my uneducated with non scientific results) believe occurred.

I think the market for a a 7" iPad is not large enough to sustain both models - just my $.02
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:18 AM   #20
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I don't agree with that, I think they've introduced models that compliment and thus increase sales. I'm thinking of the retina MBP vs. the classic MBP. Sure some actual cMBPs went with the rMBP but plenty more (in my uneducated with non scientific results) believe occurred.

I think the market for a a 7" iPad is not large enough to sustain both models - just my $.02
I'm thinking along the line of Steve Jobs' strategy
And the iPhone destroying their iPod line.

Quote:
Coming back to Apple, this is precisely what Steve Jobs mastered. He had a knack for disrupting his own product lines.

In June 2010, Apple launched iPhone 4 and it has barely been a year and we are already getting confirmed reports that iPhone 5 is on its way. And all of this when the going has been so good – Apple only recently toppled Nokia as the most successful handset manufacturer based on revenues. See chart below:

And what has the series of iPhones cannibalized? iPods, of course. At the end of 2008, Apple had sold 22+ Million iPods and in the first three quarters of 2011, they have only sold 8+ Million iPods. But is Steve Jobs complaining? Not at all – so what if iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 have cannibalized iPods and also each other? As far as Apple is concerned, they have always walked away with higher profit margins than before.

And what did iPads cannibalize? Low-end Mac Books. Again, Steve Jobs wasn’t worried.

When iPhone 5 comes out, iPhone 4 will get cannibalized. Steve Jobs might not be around to see the cannibalization happen but I sure hope Apple continues the tradition and doesn’t miss the plot in Steve’s absence.
http://socialfloss.com/28/steve-job%...-own-products/
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:28 AM   #21
Dmunjal
macrumors 6502a

Walked into the Apple Store yesterday. At the express counter, loads and loads of ipad 4s but minis were selling like hotcakes. Can't find a 16gb anywhere. They could have priced it higher!

Cannibalization has come.
Dmunjal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:32 AM   #22
maflynn

Quote:
I'm thinking along the line of Steve Jobs' strategy
And the iPhone destroying their iPod line.
I agree with the iPod line, I forgot about that. However with that said, the iPods were nearing the end of their life cycle in that technology has marched on to a point where an iPhone was really the next step. Other makers were toying with adding music to their phones but it was apple that was able to do it so well. If they tried to protect the iPod line and not do an iPhone things could have turned out much different, i.e., someone else introduced such a revolutionary phone
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 PM   #23
irDigital0l

More like $329 for mini with retina

$279 for mini without retina

$50 difference

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
I see the iP3 taking the place of the 2 as the $399 model once the 5's come out.

I also see the mini getting IGZO retina display, but don't know if that will happen in 2013 or the year after that.

Then again, opinions are like [censored]s....
The iPad 3 is already discontinued...

I think we will see an iPad Mini with Retina in March but not the iPad 5th gen.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 PM   #24
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowspaxe View Post
will apple make a mini and mini retina?
Will the sun rise tomorrow?
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad