Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonomaFlyer

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
The only way I see this thing taking off is that is offers a huge difference between AppleTV (@ $99) and Apple Televisions in terms of content.

To succeed, Apple will need to offer some massive upgrades of content access which would be sufficient to shake up content delivery for cable/sat tv in general. That's a high bar. Can Apple do it? Yes, we saw it with the IPhone. We also saw that with Steve Jobs at the helm and lazer sharp focus at Apple - something they've lacked lately.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I wonder what kind of rear facing camera it'll have. 10 megapixel or better.

Taking pictures of the wall will look so crisp!

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I'd like a 2nd TV for my bedroom or guest room, so I'd be in the market for a great one.

You aren't always looking to replace your existing TV. Some people have more than one TV.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I know this price is going to be ridiculous when it's announced! I'm certain I won't be getting one.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Stopped reading at Apple showing off the device at CES. What a load of BS, this source is not even credible. Why would Apple show off a device at CES, a trade show, something they never do for a device that they aren't even ready to ship.

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
What a great marketing idea... so Apple releases the 55" with the A5 processor regular screen, then 3 months later releases it with a A6 processor with Retina Display making everyone TV obsolete..

I would love to see a Apple TV with Retina display..

TVs are already Retina if you watch them from more than about 6 feet away.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
TVs are already Retina if you watch them from more than about 6 feet away.
When you stand farther away yes, the image seems clearer, but the overall image size is smaller.

Ideally you want the TV to be high resolution even when you are close to the image. That's the purpose of the Retina display.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I'm betting that an Apple TV will have a front facing camera on it.

A telepresence feature would need a sensor (camera) to detect when someone is in the room in order to perform some programmed action such as turn the TV on from standby mode, increase or decrease volume, etc.

And as has been Apple's recent practice, this camera would NOT have any sort of warning light to let you know that it was on.

iMacs have a green warning light telling you when the camera is on and active. But none of the iPods, iPads, iPhones have any such warning light.

Why is that???

And there is no hardware control to turn off the camera either. Creepy.

Check out this link:

Smart TVs can spy on their owners

http://rt.com/usa/news/smart-tv-security-access-092/

Just wait until they integrate a visual hand that comes out and taps you on the shoulder or wants to shake your hand.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Why would I replace my TV?

Because whereas the 16:9 standard-def fishtank you bought in 2000 was perfectly good for 10 years or more, that sort of attitude won't keep the consumer electronics industry in the manner to which they are accustomed. Hence, you'll find that the 2011 Smart HD TV is already out of date - at least as far as the smart bit goes - and won't be receiving any updates.

People moan about Apple not supporting iOS 6 on the pre-3GS iPhone and withholding a few bells-and-whistles for the latest models, but if they provide the same level of support for an Apple TV then they'll be comfortably ahead of the game.

However, I kinda agree with you: what I'd like would be a "dumb" TV with just a nice display and some HDMI ports that left the "smart" stuff to the boxes you plugged in.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
When you stand farther away yes, the image seems clearer, but the overall image size is smaller.

Ideally you want the TV to be high resolution even when you are close to the image. That's the purpose of the Retina display.

And it must be from SHARP, because who wants to buy the screens from BLURRY.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC

Except that's not normal usage scenario. Phones, tablets, and laptops, you *need* Retina since you look at them from an arm's length or closer.

TVs, you sit on your couch several feet away. It's good to have higher PPI, but not Retina-grade PPI.

----------

So what your saying is my Macbook Pro from 2 feet is the same as a Retina? Awesome just saved me 2 grand..

Sure, if you use your MacBook Pro from 2 feet away :rolleyes:

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Many people have vastly different expectations for a TV, so it's hard for me to see Apple successfully navigate this market without modifying/sacrificing their standard approaches (that is, a limited choice, high-end product line).

Content is key - and that can be provided through a set-top box.
I could see a television set launched alongside a newly refreshed Apple TV, but I don't think it would be good for them to abandon the Apple TV box (not that anyone has suggested that).

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Just wait until they integrate a visual hand that comes out and taps you on the shoulder or wants to shake your hand.
Obviously someone at Apple knew that people would want to know when their iMac camera is ON.

Why some people here think that's not important simply baffles me.

We have wireless devices capable of sending voice and image data from our home to anywhere around the world. This is fine when that is our intention.

But with companies daily conducting unethical practices which invade our privacy, it seems to me that we have to be vigilant about things we never had to be concerned about before.

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance." - John Philpot Curran, 1790

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
However, I kinda agree with you: what I'd like would be a "dumb" TV with just a nice display and some HDMI ports that left the "smart" stuff to the boxes you plugged in.

But that'd be exactly what Apple tries to change. From what Steve Jobs talked about some years ago at AllThings D, he says all those wires, set top boxes, several remotes are ugly, and they are ugly indeed. If a single, sleek TV can take care of all of them, preferably without any special remote controller, wouldn't it be the best solution for your entertainment center? (Although gaming solution is questionable in this case..)

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Likelihood of success for a premium television under 60"? Zero.
Nobody's going to pay the Apple-tax for a screen that small.

Apple would have to be doing them iPad-cheap at 55" or less. Maybe Apple has become a consumer company, after all.

As for the camera comment, we'll see if Apple is serious about customer privacy. If there's a camera, then forget it. Ditto for a microphone, too.

Just being Not-A-"Smart" television, would be a huge selling point, though.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Not necessarily

I'm betting that an Apple TV will have a front facing camera on it.

A telepresence feature would need a sensor (camera) to detect when someone is in the room in order to perform some programmed action such as turn the TV on from standby mode, increase or decrease volume, etc.

And as has been Apple's recent practice, this camera would NOT have any sort of warning light to let you know that it was on.

iMacs have a green warning light telling you when the camera is on and active. But none of the iPods, iPads, iPhones have any such warning light.

Why is that???

And there is no hardware control to turn off the camera either. Creepy.

Check out this link:

Smart TVs can spy on their owners

http://rt.com/usa/news/smart-tv-security-access-092/

My MacBook Pro (late 2011) has a light. No light on iPods and iPhones to conserve energy, but items you normally plug in would most likely have one.

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ

Retina displays are useful for devices we hold close, but with my tv I never watch it from closer than about 9 feet. So it being retina would serve no actual value to me I would just be paying extra for something my senses can't differentiate. My laptop's screen is perspectively larger than the 70" projection I watch movies on when the laptop is on my lap.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
apple tv would be a game changer! would buy one in an instant, especially since i'm holding out on purchasing a new tv and sticking with ym old 37" for now!

really thought one would be out for next year's holidays, but apparently not.
:(

I didnt realise you were privy to it's feature list :rolleyes:

billnye97

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Remember when Apple focused on only a few core platforms and became wildly successful? I really think think they might be going a little from the mark with the TV.
09.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.