Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:26 AM   #601
berniefl36
macrumors member

I was told by a technician the problem is with the iPhone 5 WIFI DRIVERS,,, it can be updated with a software update,, but the question is apple AWARE of the problem,, if not they will never fix it,,,
berniefl36 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:28 AM   #602
Jason B
macrumors regular

New firmware just released! Specific to the iphone 5.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1621

I love how apple just released this new firmware that's says, "fixes wifi bug" and that's all it says. Which one? How about a little more info on what wifi issue was fixed?? Anyone do the update?
Jason B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:30 AM   #603
berniefl36
macrumors member

The iphone 5 wifi driver needs to be updated that's why LTE and 4g are faster than the wifi right now,,,
berniefl36 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:38 AM   #604
Jason B
macrumors regular

Did the update include that?
Jason B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:59 AM   #605
berniefl36
macrumors member

No it didn't,,, because my wifi is still not as fast as my LTE and 4g and my iPhone 4S,, so something is wrong,,,
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:48 AM   #606
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

maybe its a hardware issue that they have tried to patch with software? Like when we had the iPhone 4 antenna issues, apple released software to change the size of the signal bars lol
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:14 AM   #607
berniefl36
macrumors member

Yea,, it maybe a hardware issue because the iPhone 4 and 4s works fine on 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 with wifi,,, while the iPhone 5 has problems,, very sad if its true
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:49 PM   #608
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
maybe its a hardware issue that they have tried to patch with software? Like when we had the iPhone 4 antenna issues, apple released software to change the size of the signal bars lol
True, some things cannot be patched with software.
Like the old iphone 4 proximity sensor issues.
Even after 3-4 firmware updates back then my i4 used to turn on while I had it against my ear on a call and I used to hang up or dial things with my face while on a call.
So to those that your wifi is still giving you problems after 6.0.2 I'd bring it in and get it replaced.
It was driving me nuts but so far for 2 days it has been solid. Knock on wood
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #609
berniefl36
macrumors member

It's a shame that apple messed up the hardware and didn't make it right ,,,
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:47 PM   #610
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Damn it, I spoke too soon.
After about a day and a half of no probs my i5 wifi started acting up again.
As soon as I get home, it works fine for a few minutes, then freezes and doesnt pull any data. Then started again for a few seconds then stopped completelly.
I tried to do a speed test to see if it would receive any data/internet from the router but nothing. Stayed at 0 while all other devices in my house work and pull data with no probs.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:09 AM   #611
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Damn it, I spoke too soon.
After about a day and a half of no probs my i5 wifi started acting up again.
As soon as I get home, it works fine for a few minutes, then freezes and doesnt pull any data. Then started again for a few seconds then stopped completelly.
I tried to do a speed test to see if it would receive any data/internet from the router but nothing. Stayed at 0 while all other devices in my house work and pull data with no probs.
6.0.2 did not fix my WiFi issues. I get slow download speeds from the app store downloading apps. I have it freeze up whee I have to toggle on and off to get it to work properly to access web and email and even some apps. Funny thing is, I downloaded a systems app to test pings and packet loss and every time I run the test it is OK. Speed test apps all seem to produce speeds that are close to my Internet's published speeds, but I still seem to get these hiccups.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniefl36 View Post
No it didn't,,, because my wifi is still not as fast as my LTE and 4g and my iPhone 4S,, so something is wrong,,,
Well, my home Internet upload speeds will never get close to LTE upload speeds, but my wife's iPhone 4S and an old iPhone all access my WiFi faster than my iPhone 5. My Internet is rated at 18 down, 1.5 up. My upload sucks on my home Internet.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:23 AM   #612
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

havnt had any wifi issues myself

try using a apple airport extreme as your wifi
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:59 PM   #613
jetlitheone
macrumors 6502

Same problem. Fast sometimes and slow other times. But I found a weird thing. This is my 3rd iPhone 5

If you set the router to b only mode it's obviously not as fast but you get a consistent speed that doesn't stop at all so you get the 5meg maximum that wireless b can handle.
Weird...

This is just ridiculous.
jetlitheone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:18 PM   #614
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
havnt had any wifi issues myself

try using a apple airport extreme as your wifi
Unfortunately I connect to multiple wifi networks.
So I can't go and tell everyone to buy new routers so my new iPhone 5 connects.
Shouldn't it be able to connect and hold connection with every wifi both open and encrypted?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:11 PM   #615
jetlitheone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unfortunately I connect to multiple wifi networks.
So I can't go and tell everyone to buy new routers so my new iPhone 5 connects.
Shouldn't it be able to connect and hold connection with every wifi both open and encrypted?

I have an airport express and its still slow at downloading
jetlitheone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:04 PM   #616
scmaruthi
macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same problem.
But since this is limited to downloading Apps on the App store, I was wondering if the problem could be a issue related to port forwarding. Maybe the iPhone 5's App Store uses a new port number and not the standard HTTP port.

Can anyone confirm that this could be a possiblity ?
I'm just guessing since this reminds me of the problems while downloading torrents without proper port forwarding.
Also does the iPhone 5 support UPnP ?
scmaruthi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:05 AM   #617
mknmike
macrumors newbie

Better, but not exactly fast

So I've read somewhere that an Apple programmer setup the wifi so that it goes back to some Apple database and to check if the wifi requires some authorization or "accept" page like many hotels. I don't know if that is related, but it certainly goes beyond my ability to understand how to fix a Mac problem.

So I did find a September 2012 article that mentions entering a different DNS than the one that gets automatically populated. It says to search for the fastest one for you, but I just entered the Google 8.8.8.8 (instead of both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 that are recommended). The Speed test went from 1.7 down to about 10 down as it seemed the settings were taking affect. So that certainly seemed to help.

I found that many apps were still slow though. Some of the apps I've been using simply would not load the data for the page on wifi. Examples of the Apps:
- AutoGuide app (car forums, any page with significant data just wouldn't load. I would re-load the page about 10 times and sometimes finally get the page)
- Craigslist - Same thing. GOing to my CL postings to edit them takes forever.
- eBay

Now that I've entered the 8.8.8.8 is seems better, and I usually get the data in the apps mentioned above. However, it still seems painfully slow in many cases.

So I went in to try and remove the Comcast "Search Domain" to see if that would help. Apparently the Search Domain will try to convert the server name to an IP address or something. That sounds like trouble to me. So I tried removing it, using "local", and "google", and "google.com" but those all just seemed to make things worse when using the Manual settings. I guess you need to have somethign valid in that box. I think wifi failed altogether when that box was blank. So I went back to the DHCP and entered the 8.8.8.8 replacing the 75.75.75.75 (and the second number) that gets automatically populated. So it seems better, but not as good as my iphone 4s was.

Very disappointed with the iPhone5 (vs the 4s) altogether. I'm so glad I got my wife a 4s on Virgin Mobile for xmas. (My work gave me this iphone 5, and while I don't have to worry about the cost of the data myself, I certainly don't want to exceed some LTE data limit with personal use around the house. So wifi is a "must have" for me. I have to admit that I'm considering going out and getting a virgin mobile 4s for myself at only $40-55 per month.)

Is this something intentional that Apple did to get people using the data plans on LTE for their providers who no longer offer unlimited data?

Interesting that Virgin Mobile's unlimited data isn't an iphone 5 with LTE.
mknmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 AM   #618
Brad02
macrumors member

6.0.2 fixed my issue for a bit but now the same slow wifi issues have returned.
Brad02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:24 AM   #619
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02 View Post
Same here. 6.0.2 fixed my issues for a little while but now my iPhone 5 is back to not working even after a restart and forgetting network settings. Very disappointing. Imo, great way to force us to use data ... <cough> <hint> <Verizon> <cough>. Used to listen to music (Spotify, iTunes Match, MOG) on my iPhone but now I have to do that via my laptop thanks to this WiFi problem.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:55 AM   #620
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02 View Post
Same here. Looks like they can't fix it with software updates.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:01 PM   #621
hatersgonnahate
macrumors 6502

maybe u guys just have slow internet speeds?

never had a problem with mine.
hatersgonnahate is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:16 PM   #622
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatersgonnahate View Post
maybe u guys just have slow internet speeds?

never had a problem with mine.
Lucky
Not slow wifi, I got fios 25mb down and 15 up.
Every other wireless device gets great speeds and stays connected.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:34 PM   #623
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Lucky
Not slow wifi, I got fios 25mb down and 15 up.
Every other wireless device gets great speeds and stays connected.
Same we got FIOS here too - tho the 50 50? plan.
BigMcGuire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:05 PM   #624
Brad02
macrumors member

I have 30/3 internet. Everything else on my network maxes out my connection. It happens on my wife's and MIL's ip5 as well. They have some issues to fix for sure. I have an Asus RT-N56U router not an old router by any means. Also happens on my MIL's Netgear WDR3700 router. I'm on board with the other people in this thread. I'm not buying a new router because their device has issues. That's insane.
Brad02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:20 PM   #625
mknmike
macrumors newbie

Is any of this due to the lawsuits with other providers/OS? Folks on Verizon FIOS have no problem on their Verizon iPhone 5? As long as you are using the same company's bandwidth they are happy? Maybe I should try connecting to my neighbor's verizon dsl connection.
mknmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone